GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOW PAC INSTA TRIKE FIRST RIDE!!!!

By Now I have owned and have driven almost every trike out there. And yesterday for the first time, I drove the Tow Pac Insta Trike 8" wheels on a like new 2001 GL 1800 with only 2K on the clock.

Anyhow- Only being on it for 20 seconds and going down my driveway (kinda steep and bumpy). I said this thing is awesome, SMOOTH AS GLASS. It does have the independent suspension. It feels surprising light compared to a regular trike. NO doubt when you move around a trike - you know, you are moving around a trike. With the Tow Pac it felt like you were moving around a bike with training wheels.

I know, Daaaaa!!! That's what it is. But it felt kinda good to move around a trike that was light....

So then I drove it. Zooming down the block- IT DROVE LIKE A TOTAL BIKE!
Surprisingly smooth, light, and bike fast.

Went to make my first turn in the dead end- AND WHOAAA!!!!

WAY TO MUSHY... LIKE HAZARDOUS MUSHY !!!!

Like ride - two up - and try to change lanes on a highway kind of fast and way, way, way too sloppy!!!

SO sloppy I got off and put it away. And Now I am waiting for tow pac to open so I can speak with someone there. I will report

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Joe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called tow pac

I called tow pac and they've sid I have the older kit and need three spacers Not two.

They freely volunteered mailing me the additional 4 spacers I will let you know. By spacers I me shims.

Joe Cat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tow Pac Kit

I have the 8 in on a 1983 wing and the 12 in on my 2006 wing.
I like both of them. When I want two wheels, just take it off.
Oh yes, you have to slow down in the curves. On a straight road
and the insterstate I stay up with the best. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Air pressure on those small tire has to be just right or the thing will drive like crap. I found that the pressure needed to be up around 44PSI before it handled ok.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Goldwing Rider

Hey Goldwing Rider

When you say slow down on the turns,

Do you mean slow down , Like you would a regular full size trike, Or slow down cause the instar trike doesn't like turns??

Joe CAt

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The Insta-Trike will corner only about 30% to 40% as good or should I say as hard as you can with a Champion trike. It might even be lower then that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hay Joe Cat,
If you put the easy stearing on with the tow pac, you would not be able
to ride the bike on two wheels. What I meant when I said to slow down in
cruves is, if you go into a left hand cruve, the bike will pull to the right.
if you slow down just a little you won't have any trouble. I have a tow
pac kit on my 83 for 5 years and I like it. So does my wife. They have improved the ones with the 12 in wheels and they are a lot better and they look and ride better. More adjustments.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We have the 12" wheels on our 2001 GW and love them. At first the curves were tricky, but we can keep up with our 2 wheeled friends just fine.

Absolutely no mushy feeling, and they are solid to the ground.

My husband has medical problems and in order to ride such a big bike the wheels were necessary. We would have liked a trike, but in no way can we afford the price.

Vicki and Duane

1 - 10 of 10 Posts