GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear some pros and cons of the GWRRA Towbuster Rescue Plus coverage for motorcycles. Versus the coverage available through AAA. I know that Rescue Plus cost an additional $25 for the extended mileage coverage for GWRRA members, and the additional coverage's are nice but I would like to hear from real members who have used Rescue Plus and can tell me if it's worth all the hype. In adddition I would like to hear from motorcyclist who are AAA members with the RV coverage including motorcycles. There cost is a little bit more than Rescue PLus but my Dad always said you get what you pay for, and he was seldom wrong, God Rest his Soul. Just curious how good these two plans really are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One thing they both have in common is that they use towing contractors. I'm a AAA contractor in Raleigh NC and we are all set up for bikes of any kinds and I only tow for AAA. Yes AAA is a little more but I know AAA tries to keep a higher standard but I'm sure all motor clubs do and all have there struggles. In short the roadside you pick is only as good as the provider you are sent and its the luck of the draw. Hope I didn't confuse you more. Also keep in mind if you have a company you like request them at the time of service and maybe there a provider for your choice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
AAA RV Plus is good for 100 miles towing & AAA RV Premier is good for 200 miles.
Ken

·
Registered
753 Posts
tow busters have a 100 mile towing limit. Have used them for towing cars etc but never for the bike..Never a problem in the towing process

·
Registered
812 Posts
Be sure and check with your insurance provider as well. Mine offers roadside assistance for $10 / year. I've actually used mine and it worked without any problems. Towing was offered to the nearest repair facility, but I had them tow iit to my house which was slightly farther away without issue.

Jason

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
State Farm offers towing for literally a few dollars per year. However, they do NOT cover motorcycles. Yes, for insurance they do but not roadside assistance.

I've used AAA for assistance on my Goldwing. The only hassle I had was the cargo trailer I was pulling. They didn't want to tow that. In fact, the operator seemed to not know such a thing existed. She kept saying, "If your bike is on a trailer, it doesn't need a tow truck."

After going round and round between me, the tow operator and the AAA rep, I finally got both home.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
We have been AAA RV gold members for many years. They have never made a penny on me... I have used them for just abouteverything they offer. Just had my wing towed a hundred miles two weeks ago after losing the tranny. They were professional, quick and kept me informed as to how long it would be, and when there was another truck closer, they cancelled the first and got the one who could get there sooner. Mel loves to lock her keys in the car and they are on a first name basis with her. used towbusters once and decided AAA would be my company from then on.

YMMV:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Join the American Motorcyclist Association for $39 per year. Opt for automatic renewal of your membership via credit card and roadside assistance is included for all of your family's vehicles - bikes, cars, RVs, trailers. The towing covers up to 35 miles per incident. Plus you get a decent magazine every month and a voice representing motorcyclists' rights and interests. A good deal all around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have used rescue plus once for the Wing...for a 96 mile tow from near the Canadian border to Minot ND. Service was good and it saved me $400 for the tow. At $25 per year it has paid for itself for the next 16 years. And the $25 covers the whole family if you have a family membership to GWRRA!

I just cancelled my CAA (AAA) membership. I had CAA Plus which is good for 100 miles as is Rescue Plus. For motorcycles I believe I really needed to upgrade to RV Plus. The cost was around $100 for the primary member and something like $40 for each Associate. For my wife and 2 kids that adds another $120 or some such. And still that didn't get me motorcycle coverage and only covered 5 mile tows for the associates. It would be more to upgrade them also to the Plus.

The cost comparison was a no brainer. The only reason I stayed with CAA as long as I did was a CAA branded credit card that covered the cost of the memberships via a 1% credit. But CAA caused me to rethink when they changed banks and I had to change credit cards.

Ultimately I moved to a straight cash-back credit card not associated with CAA and cancelled CAA in favor of Rescue Plus.

What I am giving up though is AAA discounts on hotels etc. Those can add up. I am banking on GWRRAs discount with Wyndham which should be at least as good. Or coupon books or whatever. AAA might be better on that front in some cases.

Other AAA benefits? I guess I can buy my own maps.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Join the American Motorcyclist Association for $39 per year. Opt for automatic renewal of your membership via credit card and roadside assistance is included for all of your family's vehicles - bikes, cars, RVs, trailers. The towing covers up to 35 miles per incident. Plus you get a decent magazine every month and a voice representing motorcyclists' rights and interests. A good deal all around.
:agree:
Just became a Charter Life Member this year.
The Roadside Assistance is NOT included with the Charter Life, but is available and a reduced rate.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Been a member of AAA for 42 years, used them for a dead battery in the wife's car some 25 years ago or so............I now have the super dooper premium RV coverage for just over $100.00 per year.....hope I never need them. If I did not have it, my guess is by now I would have saved a good $2,000 in the kitty.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have used tow busters twice. once for a flat tire out of Deming New Mexico and once for a deer hit it in Mansfield Ohio. was very impressed with the service both times. Both contractors took great care not to further damage the bike or trailer. With the Rescue Plus the trailer is covered also. I keep them on my speed dial. bb

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had AAA for many years and recently added the RV coverage. Back in the good ole days when HRCA had this coverage for the bike, that's what I used. Anyway to add the AAA RV rider to my existing Plus coverage is only $30 per year. Same benefits as the cage transfers to the bike. That $30 also covers trailers and RV's as well.

AAA has always been great and one of the biggest benefits I use all the time are the hotel discounts.

FYI, check with your insurance carrier first. You may already be paying for towing, etc.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
One thing they both have in common is that they use towing contractors. . . all motor clubs do and all have there struggles. In short the roadside you pick is only as good as the provider you are sent and its the luck of the draw.
All true! I just don't believe one is better than any other. In fact, I'd go further and say that a lot depends on the dispatcher you first speak with when you make your call to request towing. If they're new to the job or don't know what they're doing, you can get shafted with an incompetent towing service. The one time I needed towing about 6 years ago (I used GWRRA's towing service) I tried to make it clear to the dispatcher that my Wing needed a FLATBED tow truck; nothing else would do. Well, guess what kind of truck shows up? A regular cab with a boom and belt sling! Seems the owner talked the dispatcher into believing that he had lots of experience towing motorcycles and that he could "tow anything". That snafu caused me to wait an additional two hours until the dispatcher got the right service to come to my aid. That service turned out to be an excellent one and he knew what he was doing. "Luck of the draw" can be modified in your favor sometimes, but you may have to be diligent and forceful. I also having towing through Foremost, my MC insurer, just in case I need towing a greater distance that one plan covers.

Did you know that the tow truck was invented in 1916 by Ernest Holmes, Sr., of Chattanooga, TN? He was a garage worker who was inspired to create the invention after he was forced to pull a car out of a creek using blocks, ropes, and six men.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Used tow busters 3 times. Two times were good one time was beyond awful.

First time I got a flat rear tire while going down the highway doing 75mph. Lots of fun that was. Called towbusters and since I was on the off ramp on a major highway a flatbed was there right away. Worse part was that rear tire had 400 miles on it :-(

Second time I crashed. Broke the front fender other minor damage to the bike and damage to me. I ride the bike to work the rest of the way (1 mile) with a broken wrist (hey I did not know it was broken at the time) and two broken front teeth. I was more worried about getting my bike towed than getting myself to the hospital. Called towbusters and they send a flatbed and they tow truck driver refuses to tow it because there is to much plastic on the bike. Called towbusters back up and chewed them out while the pain was getting worse. Road the bike to my secured underground parking spot and left it there instead and went to the hospital. After surgery I get around to dealing with the bike again. Called the dealer and asked them who they use they gave me the name and number of a local guy who uses an enclosed trailer. No putzing around with a flat bed just a nice low enclosed trailer. He gets it loaded in and says $40 cash/check more for credit card. Pulled out my emergency check I carry (stopped bringing my whole checkbook anymore a long time ago). He tows it the 20 miles to the dealer. Never did get a receipt so I could not submit it to towbusters but insurance covered it anyways when the dealer just put it on the bill.

Third time alternator went out. Going down the highway to work the radio start cutting out I look at my volt meter and I am dropping fast. Pulled over to the side of the road and had a flatbed there within 15 minutes. Hell of a time pushing a Wing up the flatbed but we did it. He never tied down a Wing before so I get out the GoldBook and turn to the back of it with the instructions of how to tie it down. We get it secured and away we went.

So as you can see my experiences varied greatly. All three times within 50 miles of where I live. It is all a matter of who they send :-(

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Have had AAA RV Gold for about 12 years, and had the standard CAA/AAA for about 10 years before that.
I haven't bothered to look for any other program since AAA has treated me well when I've had a problem ... and with 4 cages (including a motorhome) and 5 bikes all being coverd, the $75/yr is pretty cheap. Had the motorhome and pickup hauled, and got towed out of a snowy ditch once, and had gas delivered twice ... never a complaint.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My motorcycle insurance covers the bike and trailer. They will tow it to the closest dealer (no mileage limit) and if the dealer is closed when they get there they will store the bike until the dealer opens and then deliver it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So What Do You Have?

My motorcycle insurance covers the bike and trailer. They will tow it to the closest dealer (no mileage limit) and if the dealer is closed when they get there they will store the bike until the dealer opens and then deliver it.
Well tell us more, I need to know.
Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
AAA RV Plus is good for 100 miles towing & AAA RV Premier is good for 200 miles.
Ken
AFAIK, AAA RV coverage is a regional thing. If you are in an area where they don't offer it, then they don't have contractors to provide the service and you have zilch.

Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts