GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My employer, a major defense contractor in the Dallas Fort Worth Area, without warning had approximately 12 bikes removed from the location in which they were parked by contract tow trucks. The Tow truck persons took little care of the bikes as they removed them from the parking lot.
-
Bikes have traditionally parked in the same spot for at least 10 years. This particular parking location is hashed exactly like the parking spot directly across the aisle less than 20 feet away (same marking, they look the same), that, according to security is legal bike parking.
-
People that have been at this company for many years remember when the one side was marked bike parking but that marking has worn away and now the two area look the same.
-
To make matters worse, automobiles that were obviously illegally park were not disturbed. It can be surmised that this action was aimed solely at the bikes on the property.
-
On the vehicles illegally parked at this facility, in the past, tickets were issued and advanced warning was given indicating that towing would be enforced, that courtesy was not afforded to the bike operators.
-
Anyone have any good ideas on what might be done to prevent this from happening in the future other and not to ride a bike?
-
Luckily, I was not in the unfortunate crowd only because of a dead battery.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to first sit down with the employer and determine why this action was done.

I am assuming those employees whose bikes were towed are in the process of contacting their lawyers and the AMA to see what legal options they do have.

But for an employer to tow away vehicles apparently legally parked seems to be a big problem but there is probably more to the story and sitting down with the responsible person to discuss what happened and why may reveal more info.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to first sit down with the employer and determine why this action was done.

I am assuming those employees whose bikes were towed are in the process of contacting their lawyers and the AMA to see what legal options they do have.

But for an employer to tow away vehicles apparently legally parked seems to be a big problem but there is probably more to the story and sitting down with the responsible person to discuss what happened and why may reveal more info.
:agree: Also, it may be something that "has been gotten away with" for along time and someone decided to do something about it. It's probably somewhere deep in the "Employee Handbook" as to where to park motorcycles.:shrug: IMO

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortuantly no, the only address to bike parking falls under the general catagory of "all vehicles will be parked in designated parking spaces"
There is no bike specific information.
-
The second paragraph in the original post speaks to the parking location; simply put the designated location for bike parking and the place that the bike that were towed are marked identically. The only way to know what supposedly is legal is to have at least 8 years of history with the complany when the parking places were last updated.
-
What was not in the original post is that on the opposite side of the facility, about a 1/4 for a mile away (it is a large facility) is another parking space that includes bike parking that is clearly marked.
This includes signage that does not exist in the parking area in which the bikes were towed.
Neither parking space can be seen from the other because of obstructions.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This may a case of theft if there were no warning signs or memos....

But most people would be afraid for there jobs if they protested the towing.....

The owners need to contact the AMA and a good MC attorney en mass to discuss options and the deprivation of their personal property and damages. If they did en mass via an attorney, they could have more protection than individuals, kind of like a class action suit...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Waiting on the rest of the story - in public places tow away signage must be clear in verbage and cannot just be towed away however being that this is private property why would an employer piss off so many folks ? ? ? ?
:popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
116 Posts
What happens if all the motorcyclists arrive early and park, one to a parking space, in all the closest available parking spaces? Would that make the point that they can either have a designated MC area that takes up less room, or give up a whole bunch of spaces in the interest of enforcing "the rules?"

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Mayhaps the new Chinese masters don't like Japanese or American motorcycles?

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Theft would require the intention to permanently deprive the owner of the use and possession of his vehicle.. NOW auto tampering is a much more appropriate charge and easier to prove,,

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Waiting on the rest of the story - in public places tow away signage must be clear in verbage and cannot just be towed away however being that this is private property why would an employer piss off so many folks ? ? ? ?
:popcorn: :popcorn:
Me too! It sure seems there is page missing from this story.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Texas is not very MC parking friendly. I think it comes from generally having plenty of space and parking available so people don't like to see the motorcycles get to park closer than them. Very few places have MC parking and officially, they are to park in standard car spaces.

Many riders park in hashed off areas close to the building or pull up on sidewalks or other places becase they are motorcycles and can fit in smaller places. It's been my experience that this pisses off the people that don't ride motorcycles because they aren't able to park in special, close spaces and don't understand why riding a motorcycle automatically allows you to park close.

I'm guessing this kind of sentiment is the underlying reason for the employer taking the action they took. Someone got tired of the bikes parking close when they had to walk and was apparently in a position to do something about it.

Because of this, I typically park only in designated parking spaces. I don't like people pissed off at my parking choice and figure they are a lot more likely to mess with my bike or cause me problems if they don't like where I park.

(Besides...I'm fat and walking a bit farther isn't a bad thing)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Remind me again why I very, very seldom rode my bikes to work. Oh yah! Management didn't ride.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I always park my wing in a regular parking spot while many of the other riders at my work will squeeze into a corner of the lot that is hash marked. The biggest problem with parking where they do is they try and fit too many bikes in there and are not always considerate as to how close they park to one another and there are car spots on each side of the corner and one can get their bike trapped by cars parking there. When someone gives me any lip about parking my bike and taking up a 'whole space' when I could squeeze into the aforementioned corner I simply ask in reply if they'd rather I drove my crew cab truck as it too takes up a 'whole space' because either way I'm taking up a spot. Otherwise they can feel free to drive the forty miles to my house and give me a ride to and from work - then I will save them a spot (and my gas money).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sit down with the big wigs and bring security with you. If it has always been motorcycle parking then they need to understand that. If nothing else, they will understand that, what they did will not be tollerated.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
What happens if all the motorcyclists arrive early and park, one to a parking space, in all the closest available parking spaces? Would that make the point that they can either have a designated MC area that takes up less room, or give up a whole bunch of spaces in the interest of enforcing "the rules?"
Be sure to get everyone that has a bike to participate, not just the regulars. Park at a 45 in the spots or the cars will be squeezing in between.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would be pissed, someone will gloat about how they ran off all the bikers, then there would be trouble afterwork , off the property , unseen damages would occur, lots of frendly folks on bikes would show up for work the next AM eating up full parking places, wow I am losing it, someone wake me I am having a nightmare at the keyboard. LOL

Glad I work for a BIKE FREINDLY company, we have covered and protected bike parking paddocks in several places on the property.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When your friends pick up their bikes at the tow yard be cool with them and ask who called them to have the bikes towed. That may tell a lot right there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts