GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Tour
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my first experience with asking AAA for a tow for my wife BMW K1600B.

AAA sent a flat bed truck with ramps after 3 hours but the Tow Company refused the tow when I told them I did not feel safe helping to push her bike up the ramp and help tie it down. (Knee issue and the Tow Driver was a small fit guy).

I called AAA again and they do not have lists for motorcycle towing companies only towing companies that they call to see if they can handle motorcycles. I may cancel my AAA service for our motorcycles ....

I use AAA often for cars and trucks but this was the first time I tried to use it for Motorcycles.

Besides getting a Honda for the wife what plans would work for a mixed couple (Honda / BMW) motorcycle family?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
My experience... In KS, I was required to purchase AAA premier RV for motorcycle towing. That way they send a flatbed and two people. It's been awhile since I used it, but I've used it several times with a flat tire and once when I hit a deer in 2009. BTW, when I call in, I make sure they know I'm on a motorcycle and that I need a flatbed with two people.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My membership in AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) includes towing. I tried to use it once several years ago when I had a bad valve stem on my ST1300. They sent a flatbed truck with a special wheel chock and winch cable, but the wheel chock would hit my finder extender, so it did not work. I ended up riding on and pumping up the tire every 20 miles or so until I got to a town that could repair it.
The AMA plan covers every vehicle that you own.
AMA Roadside Assistance - American Motorcyclist Association

·
Registered
943 Posts
I used AAA to flatbed my BMW R1200RT when it caught fire in rural Idaho in 2019. I made triple sure the dispatcher knew it was a BMW motorcycle, not a BMW car, and it required a flatbed. The truck areived in 45 minutes with a driver and a helper. They loaded and secured the bike carefully and correctly.

I continue my CAA (Canadian Automobile Association affiliated with AAA) membership with motorcycle coverage, entirely satisfied with the service.

Tim

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I've had Progressive Ins since day 1, for my 2005 wing and carry towing. I had to call twice for verification (never needed a tow thank goodness).
They will tow my wing to "The nearest qualified repair shop", regardless of distance. I asked if that means "Bobs small engine and toaster repair shop"....
both times, different reps (over a period of 3 weeks) told me, "The Nearest Honda Motorcycle repair shop". I've verified it 5 times over the years, but thankfully, don't need it.
Yet.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Question: Now a days with this #19 corona B/S, are passengers even allowed to ride in the tow truck back home????

Ronnie

Reactions: Florida Brent

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
In my mind, the "Roadside Assistance" people must rely on whatever tow assets are available. They are simply third party administrators.

There are many towing companies that simply will not pick up a motorcycle.

You'd think that the tow driver would be schooled in the fine art of motorcycle tie-down. And.... you would be wrong.

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
The Honda towing service that came with my Goldwing when new was excellent but they don’t have that anymore, now days the Honda towing just connects you with a towing service that doesn’t know or care much at all it’s mostly just more wasted money.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
There seems to be basically one pool of roadside tow service providers. The people that sell plans to the end user are all at the mercy of those service providers. In my experience the service you get will depend more on the local providers than who you actually purchase the service from. I have had vastly different experiences with the AAA operators depending on the time of day and even what state I'm in. In some places, you have to give the operator an intersection or mile marker. Some will take GPS coordinates and some will not. It is all just the luck of the draw.

·
Premium Member
2006 GL1800P
161 Posts
I've had AAA for 20+ years. Had to use them twice for motorcycle towing. I always carry 4 soft tie straps and help them tie it down. I just assume the local towing company they send out will not know how to tie down a motorcycle without causing damage to the bike.

AMA coverage has been spotty at best and the few that I know that have used it have not been happy at all with the service.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've had two tows with my Progressive plan. Yes, they are at the mercy of the local providers. Their job really is only to find someone who says they can tow it. Both of mine have been with trailers attached. Both showed up with flat beds. I provided the guidance on strapping the bike to winch it up and then strapping it down. I didn't (and don't) mind this. My other option is to still be on the side of the road. It's no big deal and I don't expect the tow operator to be knowledgeable about a GW since they've probably never towed one.

It's not difficult to winch it up the bed. The tow operator operates the winch and I sit on the bike walking it up. Again, no big deal.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
I've had the Honda tow service since I bought my GL1500 way back when and continue to keep it when I had my '01 and my current '04. I've used it 3 times over the years and it worked flawlessly. The last time was when I was on my way to Death Valley and ruined a rear tire in Bakersfield CA in a construction zone and the tow driver was a dedicated HD owner and once the bike was on the tow truck he got his camera out and took a couple of pictures so he could show his buddies. It was all in fun and he was a pretty cool guy. He admitted that he has towed many Harley's but never a GW

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I've had AAA for 20+ years. Had to use them twice for motorcycle towing. I always carry 4 soft tie straps and help them tie it down. I just assume the local towing company they send out will not know how to tie down a motorcycle without causing damage to the bike.

AMA coverage has been spotty at best and the few that I know that have used it have not been happy at all with the service.
Now there's a serious great idea..... Thank you............(y)

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have AAA with motorcycle coverage. When the angel of death came for my alternator last year I called AAA. A flat bed truck arrived within half an hour. The truck had all the necessary tie down straps and a chock to secure the front tire. The driver was thoroughly familiar with the equipment and how to secure my bike. Like most other services it's a crap-shoot and I won on that day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today was my first experience with asking AAA for a tow for my wife BMW K1600B.

AAA sent a flat bed truck with ramps after 3 hours but the Tow Company refused the tow when I told them I did not feel safe helping to push her bike up the ramp and help tie it down. (Knee issue and the Tow Driver was a small fit guy).

I called AAA again and they do not have lists for motorcycle towing companies only towing companies that they call to see if they can handle motorcycles. I may cancel my AAA service for our motorcycles ....

I use AAA often for cars and trucks but this was the first time I tried to use it for Motorcycles.

Besides getting a Honda for the wife what plans would work for a mixed couple (Honda / BMW) motorcycle family?

Thanks
I have coverage with AMA and GWRRA. I dropped AAA when they said I had to have the RV package for a motorcycle tow. I only used the AMA once with a Spyder I had. They reimbursed my tow charge quickly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts