GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the California Side Car website where it lists the Elite Trailer at 170 lbs unloaded, 350 load capacity, meaning 420 lbs.

That said, not that you would want to, but this tells me you can pull a total of 420 lbs off the back of a Goldwing.

I'm thinking of riding out and picking up a trailer for my trike, and hauling it back with my trike. It's unloaded weight is 300 lbs so I don't see any reason why I couldn't haul it back with my trike if I wanted.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Towing Capacity of the CSC

I have CSC trailer that I towed with a 93 1500 for several thousand miles.

I now tow it with an 02 with CSC kit on it. No problem towing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm looking at the California Side Car website where it lists the Elite Trailer at 170 lbs unloaded, 350 load capacity, meaning 420 lbs.

That said, not that you would want to, but this tells me you can pull a total of 420 lbs off the back of a Goldwing.

I'm thinking of riding out and picking up a trailer for my trike, and hauling it back with my trike. It's unloaded weight is 300 lbs so I don't see any reason why I couldn't haul it back with my trike if I wanted.

Thoughts?

Hello Mike,

Are you saying you want to buy a trailer that you intend to put your trike into for hauling, and it weighs 300 lbs,

OR you will buy a trailer to haul behind your trike for cargo, and it weighs 300 lbs empty.

I have to wonder just how well built a trailer will be (for putting a trike in) if it weighs only 300 lbs.....!!!

Now, if its a 300 lb trailer, and will be used for cargo to pull behind a trike, by the time you put cargo in the trailer, its "too heavy"....!!!

We have an '02 Elite Escapade, and have pulled thousands of miles at the gross weight of 405 lbs with "NO ISSUES"

Just trying to help......!!!

:popcorn: :doorag:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
II'm thinking of riding out and picking up a trailer for my trike, and hauling it back with my trike. It's unloaded weight is 300 lbs so I don't see any reason why I couldn't haul it back with my trike if I wanted.

Thoughts?
I don't either :shock: My camper weighs that empty, and my 5 X 10 flat bad weighs more than that, and my Piggybacker loaded, weighs more than that too ( I have packed it to 550 on many occasion)
But then again you did say a CSC not a MT :)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

Thoughts?
A friend with a CSC and I with a MotorTrike just put over 6000 miles on each trike pulling loaded camp trailers that weighed in loaded at close to 500 pounds apiece, and never even looked back. So, I would suggest that pulling that low weight trailer would be a piece of cake. Ride on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/hspencer942/MC Trailers/TwoTrikes.jpg

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Hay Wilson, That is what I did, Went after (sort of) the trailer that I use to haul the Trike If needed. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179731I
KJ5IX said:
Just got connected again :cus: Here is a few shots for you Donna. I was half way home before I realized that I had the camera in the trunk, and I just cant pass up a Kodak moment. This is what I went to Granbury for. "No Hill for a Stepper" I did get a few strange looks on the road. You would think that they havent seen a trailer before!!!!!

Stopped for a Kodak Moment

A shot over the sholder

No Extra air needed

Arriving Home; it is still there I see it in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Nice trailer George,

I had to go check, to insure you had not stolen mine.

They look alike......!!!!

:popcorn: :doorag:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trailer

Wilson:

You have a valid point, something weighing only 300 lbs, but then, everything now a days is getting lighter, different components, and it doesn't necessarily mean negative quality. I still haven't bitten on this trailer yet, but am looking at this:

http://www.rocketmotorcycletrailers.com/

The reason I like it is that it is light enough to easily maneauver in a campground, allowing me to pull my trike behind my RV. I did not want something huge, as big as a car, where I have to rent additional space to store it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Per CSC:
The max tongue weight is 50 lbs.
The max towing weight is 400 lbs.

Which is more than I would want to pull very far. I would worry about putting so much weight on the back that the front tire would not have enough traction because of lack of weight.

:biker:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Per CSC:
The max tongue weight is 50 lbs.
The max towing weight is 400 lbs.

Which is more than I would want to pull very far. I would worry about putting so much weight on the back that the front tire would not have enough traction because of lack of weight.

WHAT :!: :confused:

Do you have any idea how much weight it would take to release the pressure off of the Front end enough to effect the steering capability !!! With the distance from the the moment (hitch) the leaver (trailer tongue) would be over 18 FEET long for as little as 50 pounds to just release the tension off the forks... Oh and it would take an 8 foot step ladder to get the weight up to the tip of that leaver (tongue) :shock: But that is just rough calculations :!:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
KJ5IX, no I don't.

I assume CSC is being conservative in there recommendations but would not feel safe pulling 1100# lbs.:eek:4: But to each his own.

I wonder how much that weight would be pulling against the front, with a passenger, going up a fairly steep hill with the 400lb trailer weight using the back axle as a fulcrum?

What about the issue of increased stopping distance.:eek:4:
Another non-safety issue would be fuel mileage

.:biker:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I wonder how much that weight would be pulling against the front, with a passenger, going up a fairly steep hill with the 400lb trailer weight using the back axle as a fulcrum?

What about the issue of increased stopping distance.:eek:4:
Another non-safety issue would be fuel mileage

.:biker:

I have regularly pulled my Piggy; weighing in the area of 545 +- in the hills of Ark, and both campers with no problems up and down hills. The campers do let you know that they are there when you first start, and on stopping. I have not noticed ant great change in the distance it takes to stop either of the trailers in a controlled stop. Now a good Panic stop, it would be just like any other vehicle, be mindful that it is there, and react accordingly for the situation. As far as gas, yes it does use more fuel. But as in all situations one should be aware of the conditions, and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
OOPS I forgot to answer the first one::oops:
Originally Posted by cmore

NONE: The passenger is seated Forward (ever so slightly) of the Axle, and adding weight to the front end, believe it or not...:!: :!:
In other words there is NO appreciable aft weight that will affect the moment or the arm.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think u are correct when on level ground. But on a hill the angle causes some of the weight to be transferred to the rear as the center of gravity of the passenger has moved to behind the center of the axle.

I would not want to be in a panic stop on a 900lb bike or 1200lb trike, with 1100 lbs pushing me. Also would not want to jump off a bridge with bungee cords attached.:eek:4: Everyone needs to stay with in their comfort envelope.

A few additional concerns come to mind.
1. Frame strain. Several wings have already had frame issues. I see no reason to exasperbate the problem.

2. Trannys have also been an issue for several.

3. Clutch and diff strain.

4. Over heating in slow/non-moving traffic.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Everyone needs to stay with in their comfort envelope.

Now that we agree on :yes1: If one isn't comfortable doing something, Don't do it :!:

A few additional concerns come to mind.
1. Frame strain. Several wings have already had frame issues. I see no reason to exasperbate the problem. There is no additional stress on the stock frame when Triked, and I have been told, and I believe it. That there is less stress when the kit is added. More weight added over all, but properly distributed through out the frame instead of at certain points of the frame.

2. Trannys have also been an issue for several. More two wheeled bikes than Trikes so far, or that have been made public.

3. Clutch and diff strain. Clutch Strain is of course changed/increased by just adding the Trike kit.. Differential Strain :shock: Where did that come from :?: On a DFT possibly, it is the only kit that uses the stock Honda rear end.

4. Over heating in slow/non-moving traffic. That is going to happen regardless. ;)

You know this is all in FUN, and there are good points brought up for the concerned.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I checked with some of the manufactures and this is what they recommend:
Manufa’s Tongue/Tow weight
Champion – ?/? Left/sent 2 requests for this info and they haven’t
seen fit to responded.
CSC – 50/400
DFT – 35/500
Hannigan – 55/550
Lehman – 50/200
Motor Trike – 100/1000
Trikes by Triking – 0/0 Won’t certify any more than Honda does for 2 wheel wing, but did suggest that I contact one of their installers..

It is of note that Motor Trike recommends the highest of the listed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If we are going on a longer trip and need more stuff with us we tow our Arizona model Trailmaster trailer.

http://trailmasterinc.com/arizona/arizona.html

It wieghs 195 lbs and can hold 400 lbs of stuff and is 28 cu ft of storage.

I've had no issues towing it. It just like towing a trailer with our truck, you know it's there when starting and stopping. You just have to keep your following distances in case you need to make that panic stop.

Tejas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts