GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the Bride are thinking of getting a toy hauler to haul our Goldwing and I'm sure there are plenty of them out on this site.I was wondering what to look for pros or cons on getting one and were are the best RV places to buy them.
Munds

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haulers

MUNDS

Same situation with our Wing.:doorag:

Cannot decide on closed in and or open Trailer.

Looking for info and help from the Goldwing Team

txs, F

·
Registered
222 Posts
MUNDS

Same situation with our Wing.:doorag:

Cannot decide on closed in and or open Trailer.

Looking for info and help from the Goldwing Team

txs, F
Buy an enclosed trailer for your wing. I can't tell you how many people we have sold an open trailer to for hauling their bike and the first time they tow in a rain, they will be back to trade for an enclosed one. With an open trailer, you end up spending a day cleaning your bike when you get where your going......unless you are awfully lucky and always drive on dry roads!!

Also, watch the rear door opening height to make sure the wing fits with the windshield on. Some bike trailers have a low interior height to reduce drag but you can't get the bike in without removing the windshield.

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Buy an enclosed trailer for your wing. I can't tell you how many people we have sold an open trailer to for hauling their bike and the first time they tow in a rain, they will be back to trade for an enclosed one. With an open trailer, you end up spending a day cleaning your bike when you get where your going......unless you are awfully lucky and always drive on dry roads!!

Also, watch the rear door opening height to make sure the wing fits with the windshield on. Some bike trailers have a low interior height to reduce drag but you can't get the bike in without removing the windshield.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa

Lenard,
I am just the opposite of that, I don't care if the wing is or gets dirty :shock:, and I ride in all weather, which is no different from hauling one in all weather, with the exception I ain't gettin wet. Not being anal about the shinyness all the time all I need is a little water, usually a bottle will do, and a clean rag to clean the windscreen, and wipe off the seat (sometimes), and we are on the go. If you are a person that keeps your bike in show condition, that is another story, by all means use a covered trailer. I also like open cause I can see the Trike. If the front tie down gets loose, or comes off I can see it moving the very little that it moves, and if the rear comes loose I can hear it, but that is just on my tie system.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
I agree with Leonard. I put 30K dollars in a trike and want some protection when towing and storing overnight. a good trailer, Vnose, 7x12, with nice trim package, and electric brakes, is only 3K dollars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lenard,
I am just the opposite of that, I don't care if the wing is or gets dirty :shock:, and I ride in all weather, which is no different from hauling one in all weather, with the exception I ain't gettin wet. Not being anal about the shinyness all the time all I need is a little water, usually a bottle will do, and a clean rag to clean the windscreen, and wipe off the seat (sometimes), and we are on the go. If you are a person that keeps your bike in show condition, that is another story, by all means use a covered trailer. I also like open cause I can see the Trike. If the front tie down gets loose, or comes off I can see it moving the very little that it moves, and if the rear comes loose I can hear it, but that is just on my tie system.
Your the guy that we stock the open ones for......but like I said, after a trip or two most of the open trailers get traded back in.

Leonard

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes this is what I'm talking about but I'm not looking for the 5th wheel.Thanks for the link
Munds

Are you speaking about the kind of toyhauler that is a fifth wheel trailer with a garage in the back? If so check out http://www.rv.net/forums/. They have a forum dedicated to toyhaulers. Lots of good information.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa
:agree::agree::thumbup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Your the guy that we stock the open ones for......but like I said, after a trip or two most of the open trailers get traded back in.

Leonard
Hey Leonard, I've had my Aluma MC-10 since 03, and have used it MANY times. The reason I bought is because it's all aluminum, can be towed
behind any kind of vehicle that can tow 1500lbs, and a can see the bike
when towing. I would like an enclosed trailer, but you have to have
at least a car/truck that can tow 5000 lbs. If the bike get dirty, oh
well. Besides, I get pretty good mileage compared to an enclosed.

Oh, I do LOVE the enclosed Aluma's, but the price I got quoted
from you was in excess of $7k

·
Registered
198 Posts
Trailer

To get the wing, and the wife, to the places where she will ride I purchased a 6by12 CargoMate. It is high enough that I can walk around in it, windshield clearance is no problem, and if you forget to lower your antenna (once) it is not hopelessly bent, it has a finished ceiling with two lights, and plywood sides (inside), and is fully enclosed with a ramp rear door. It is a lightweight single drop axle trailer. I put a front wheel chock, self locking type, two feet back from the front wall (space for storage, coat hooks and stuff) I have a 12inch wide strip of non-skid from the chock all the way back to the end of the ramp so wet tires do not slip and it is easy to drive up centered and into the chock, then I can just step off. I put tie-downs in the floor and use the Tulsa tie down system, I use sturdy tie down straps with ratcheting tension handles, not too tight , and checked frequently on trips. 3/8ths to 1/2inch side panels are important to be able to mount hooks, hangers etc., all my bike stuff rides in the trailor, I have hooks lining one interior side. I have two old GI duffle bags that hang from the side hooks that I place the wing side panels in when traveling as I do use a center strap. I have three battery (AA) lites mounted on the walls for those dark nites when the tow rig is disconnected or you do not want to risk running the truck battery down. Works great with a spacious interior for moving around inside with the bike loaded. Those interior RV toyhaulers can have issues with dirt and odors. Most I have typed in a long time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes this is what I'm talking about but I'm not looking for the 5th wheel.Thanks for the link
I have a big one (34ft.) bumper pull for sale. PM me!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a Puma 23Ft TH. It had 2 fold down sofas in the rear that would fold down into a bed that would sleep 2. If only it had a drop down area just in front of the ramp door. It did put a strain on my F150 until I readjusted the weight distributing hitch. A drop axel trailer by either Forest River or Roadmaster would be my choice now. But get a TH that fits your tow vehicle requirements.
Ride safely,
Alex

·
Registered
66 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with toy-haulers. If you go with the bumper pull that the sofas fold up and the bike is stored in the living area of the trailer-you have to unload the bike prior to plugging the trailer into an electrical source, or turning on any electrical sources inside the trailer, or turning on your stove. The fuel vapors will be confined to the living space of the trailer and become a fire/explosive hazard. I work on the road and like to haul my Wing, and sometimes my 4 wheeler with me. Traveling and stopping for a one night stay became such a pain, that I moved from the bumper pull to a fifth wheel with a separated garage area for the toys. Now I can use all of the living space without having to unload the trailer first. Much nicer in my opinion, pricier, but more usable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Leonard, I've had my Aluma MC-10 since 03, and have used it MANY times. The reason I bought is because it's all aluminum, can be towed
behind any kind of vehicle that can tow 1500lbs, and a can see the bike
when towing. I would like an enclosed trailer, but you have to have
at least a car/truck that can tow 5000 lbs. If the bike get dirty, oh
well. Besides, I get pretty good mileage compared to an enclosed.

Oh, I do LOVE the enclosed Aluma's, but the price I got quoted
from you was in excess of $7k
The Aluma MC-10 is a great trailer and we sell many of them every year because they are light weight, have a v-front stoneguard to help protect the bike, a pullout ramp so you don't have to pull a rampgate through the wind, etc. For a more apples to apples comparison, you should compare a 6 x 10 Aluma enclosed Motorcycle pkg trailer to the MC-10. The Aluma Motorcycle Pkg trailers in excess of $7K will be tandem axle 7x12 and 7x14 trailers.......not quite apples to apples. We try to stock trailers for every budget.

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can put 5 full size atv inside mine and have room for a 80cc at the front. I have also put 1 goldwing trike and my wife's silver wing trike inside with 3 bicycles and tons of crap. Had a rhino atv,sand rail buggy inside. It will carry a jeep or small car. You can't do that with a seperate garage area.
I agree with your point of having to unload the toys before using the living area can be a pain. Although when we are packing that heavy it's normally a one stop deal. It sleeps 10. Kids bring friends ya know!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We had a 28ft Tailgator by Keystone (bumper pull) that we used to tow our BMW RT and Roadstar. (Sold it in 2007 and went with a MC trailer & camping gear instead). It had a seperate queen bed in the front that was a necessity for me - you could stop at rest stops while on a long trip and sleep without having to remove the bikes. It also had a drop-down queen over the bike area, and two sofa beds (twins) on either side. The nice thing about not having a seperate garage area was that you could fit more bikes in a variety of configurations. I can see the pros and cons to the garage, and would probably go with the garage if we were to get another one, but that's more of a personal choice. Size-wise though, I don't think I would go any smaller. In fact, I'd probably go with a 30-34ft 5th wheel with slides and a seperate garage. 8ft width can get awfully cramped, even with only 2 people :roll:

BTW, we pulled the 28ft with a F250 diesel 4x4 and weight distributing hitch (no anti-sway). I believe the gross weight for the trailer was 11500lb. When we towed both bikes to Americade (from VA), with 2 seasons of riding gear, and packing heavy (but only minimal water in the tanks), we weighed in at 17000 total (truck & trailer). The trailer weight was either 8500 or 9500 - can't remember exactly.

If I find the pics, I'll post them later (have some good ones of interior layout).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts