GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pulling an enclosed trailer with a newer Tacoma V6. I have a Haulmark Lowrider with a weight of about 1650 punds plus the weight of the Wing. I currently have a Tundra V8, but would like to have a 2007 Tacoma V6. Just not sure there is enough there to pull efficiently. The specs say there is enough but?????

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like a pretty big load for a V-6. I'm sure you could do it, but I think the truck would be working pretty hard.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I look at manufactures towing specs with a big grain of salt. To be safe, take their max towing capacity and divide by 2, and that's probably stretching it.

Any engine size will handle towing for awhile, but the smaller the engine and the heavier the load will equal shorter and shorter engine life. Another point is where you'll be towing and what kind of terrain. Hills and mountains are a lot tougher on the engine than flatlands. Also, how often will you tow and for how far. All these factors should be considered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The weight you spoke about is no problem for a Tacoma with the towing package. Unless you plan to tow the trailer everyday it wont shorten your engine life. I tow a 10,000lb. trailer regularly with my Chevy Silverado work truck and its still going strong at 185,000 miles. The previous two trucks I had had over 150,000 miles when they were replaced. The truck is made to work. Go for it!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My Toyota Avalon V6 is rated for 3000# towing so I can't see why a Tacoma would have any problem. Most light duty vehicle towing limitations are due to the capacity of the brakes on the tow vehicle and not the drive trains capability to move it efficiently.
DC

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was pulling our pop-up camper with a Nissan crew-cab V-6 that could be a little anemic at times. Have had an '06 Tacoma V-6 crew-cab since September that has a lot more grunt. Haven't had a chance yet to pull the camper but don't foresee a problem. It's a nice rig and is getting right at 20 MPG (only got 17 MPG with the smaller Nissan).

Ed W.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Andy Pearson said:
I believe that a 6 cylinder can pull almost anything. Here's a picture of my 6 cylinder tow vehicle.

Andy
I agree, the 6 will pull just about anything you hook it on to. Here's my rig.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Andy Pearson said:
I believe that a 6 cylinder can pull almost anything. Here's a picture of my 6 cylinder tow vehicle.

Andy
gezz Andy what is that? a tank retriever :lol:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I can use it to pull ANYTHING! I have a couple of trailers that weigh 20,000+ when fully loaded.

I was afraid that I'd burn up my Wing's clutch with that kind of load and John Preston rates his hitch a few pounds shy of that, so I had to buy the truck. :lol:

It is a WORK truck, but I have noticed that some guys have a bad case of Truck Envy when they see it. :lol: :lol:

Andy

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Andy Pearson said:
I can use it to pull ANYTHING! I have a couple of trailers that weigh 20,000+ when fully loaded.

I was afraid that I'd burn up my Wing's clutch with that kind of load and John Preston rates his hitch a few pounds shy of that, so I had to buy the truck. :lol:

It is a WORK truck, but I have noticed that some guys have a bad case of Truck Envy when they see it. :lol: :lol:

Andy
hell, I would think the wing could pull 20,000+ lbs...........stopping 20,000lbs might a wee-bit of a problem :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts