GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently contemplating buying a pickup and the Toyota Tundra seems to be a good choice. One asks a lot of questions and gets a lot of answers regarding the various makes and models, so I'm soliciting info/opinions from you all about the Tundra.

I'm interested in whether the 4.7 or 5.7 liter engine is the best way to go, about gas mileage, about comfort and handling and overall reliability and drivability. It's a lot of money to spend on a truck, so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Eventually we want to possibly get a toy hauler trailer and take the Wings South for the winter, so I need a truck that's up to the task. We're not necessarily talking 5th wheel trailer here. I really don't want a 3//4 or 1 ton truck.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I think the early ones had some (tranny?) problems but I think they were taken care of. Make sure of the load you intend to tow before you buy anything. You run out of motor real quick towing a load at speed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I own an 07 Tundra crew cab with the 5.7 V8 engine. It is an outstanding vehicle and will pull most trailers with ease. It is a big improvement over the previous tundra I owned that came with a 4.7 V8. The new tundra is capable of carrying much more weight and towing a much larger trailer. I get about 16 MPG empty and 9 MPG while pulling my trailer which is a dual axil enclosed trailer for hauling bikes. If you intend on pulling a trailer everyday, I suspect a deisel engine of some sort will do the job better, but they cost more to own and cost more to use so if you are an occasional puller of a trailer as I am, you will not go wrong with the 5.7 Tundra.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I do not know much about 4.3 or 5.7 and all that stuff, I can only tell you I had one of the 8 cylinder Tundras. It was a very nice truck and had lots of power and I believe it would have lasted a very long time. A well built truck.

BUT!!! I got from 8 to 10 mpg out of it, loaded or unloaded, pulling or not, this was not a unique experience, it seems they all have this fantastic gas mileage contrary to what the manufacturer says. It took me a good 7 months to find a unsuspecting Texan to purchase it.

As a comparison my work van (chevy) with the huge 458 around town or pulling a backhoe, gets 15 mpg. A work truck is just that, a work truck and is supposed to burn gas, but not like that Tundra did. It loved it. My personal Chevy 1/2 ton V-8 routinely gets 18 to as high as 22 mpg, depending on in town , interstate or really pushing it at 85mph. No excuse for that Tundra to burn gas like that, but it did.

Kit

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
We are currently contemplating buying a pickup and the Toyota Tundra seems to be a good choice. One asks a lot of questions and gets a lot of answers regarding the various makes and models, so I'm soliciting info/opinions from you all about the Tundra.

I'm interested in whether the 4.7 or 5.7 liter engine is the best way to go, about gas mileage, about comfort and handling and overall reliability and drivability. It's a lot of money to spend on a truck, so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Eventually we want to possibly get a toy hauler trailer and take the Wings South for the winter, so I need a truck that's up to the task. We're not necessarily talking 5th wheel trailer here. I really don't want a 3//4 or 1 ton truck.
My neighbor bought one last year with the 5.7L and says the gas milage sucks big time. He has taken it back to the dealer several times for warranty work. He says it gets about 12 mpg for his wife driving to work everyday. When he bought it the MPG sticker said 17 city and 21 highway. He hasn't ever got close to that.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Seeing that you're in Idaho, and intend to tow - go with the 5.7 liter! You'll be glad you have it when pulling up mountain roads.

I have a 4Runner, and love that old truck.

:congrats:

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
:yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1:
I have an 08 Tundra. The bigger V8 gets the same mileage as the smaller V8 and as the V6 for that matter. It is the best truck I have ever owned. One disappointment. The turning radius for parking this beast is the absolute worst among the trucks. The worst. And many on the truck forums say the paint seems to chip too easily. This has not been my conclusion. I tow a popup trailer from time to time and the towing capacity is fantastic. I really like the w i d e center console that is adjustable and the dual drink holder with molded pockets on both front doors. Interior is basically the same as a Toyota Sequoia

Interesting comments on the mileage above . I get 15-17 mpg in the city and 18-22 mpg on the highway

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tundr

Hi I just traded in a 2007 GMC and got a 2009 5.7 Tundra 4 door. The ride is so much better. The gas mileage dont seem bad to me. Over all I would buy another, Its one hell of a truck. Make sure you get the heavy towing package. I think it goes from 8,500 to 10,300 towing. Tom

QUOTE=IDWingrider;2314515]We are currently contemplating buying a pickup and the Toyota Tundra seems to be a good choice. One asks a lot of questions and gets a lot of answers regarding the various makes and models, so I'm soliciting info/opinions from you all about the Tundra.

Eventually we want to possibly get a toy hauler trailer and take the Wings South for the winter, so I need a truck that's up to the task. We're not necessarily talking 5th wheel trailer here. I really don't want a 3//4 or 1 ton truck.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
21,052 Posts
i was kinda interested in the Tundra until last weekend when i actually looked at one, i think the Chevy Colorado has the Tundra beat in almost every way possible
i never road in a Tundra but the ride in a Colorado is better than lots of cars, unbelievably smooth and quiet

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Exactly 66 2/3% of my kids have Toyota Tundras sitting in their driveways where (a year or so ago) there used to be Ford F150 trucks. One has the crewmax or similar body with the big engine and I don't remember the other. They seem to like them so far and think they have better value and less problems. I don't do trucks, so I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The tundra has 3 choices for cabin style. The middle one offers as much room as some's full fleged 4 door models and what appears to be a larger bed that regular crew's in other trucks. I almost bought one but went with the Silverado Crew with a 5.3 engine. I forget what it's called but 4 of the cylinders kick out when just crusing. I trailered my wing for 800 miles last month on a 10 foot trailer and got 15.5 MPH. I get almost 22mph on the interstate when not trailering and about 16 to 17 on short trips (work, to the grocery, etc.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Toyota Bad /// Ford Good

Why don't you buy a good Ford Truck to start with, more power and better gas mileage

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have a 2004 v-6 -:bow:2 wheel drive standerd trainmisson .payed 21.000 new runs great .but i would not use it for towing . i would not use a tundra for towing i would get a ford or a dodge .toyota has a couple of options to chose from ford has a lot more . i baby my tundra if i wanted a work horse i would get a ford. what does a new tundra cost?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive got an 07 5.7 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the TRD setup. First let me say the truck is excellent. Handles well and has plenty get up and go. The interior after a year and a half is still quiet, no rattles or squeaks.
But the down side of the truck is its gas mileage. Im averaging 15 to 16 mpg combined hwy and city driving. Of course the truck has so much power that sometimes its difficult to stay off the right pedal. I had to change my dash lights to white because I had a hard time seeing the numbers in the stock red color. Owners on another board have complained of the paint being too thin. If you havent found this yet, here is a pretty good forum that discusses the Tundra. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra .

I have made changes to the truck and those changes have improved (in my opinion) the ride, handling and looks of my vehicle.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo305/towerhog/FixedFR.jpg

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It looks like the Tundra has a maximum towing capacity of 10300#. Not going to pull much of a toy hauler with that. Some of the pop up styles are lighter than that but a lot of the travel trailer/5th wheel types are much heavier.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tundra

I have an '02 extended cab, (not the big four doors.) It has 4 wheel drive suspension but not four wheel drive. I pulled a 27 foot fifth wheel camper with it all over with no trouble. Never checked the mileage when pulling the fiver but get 18 overall with the 4.7 engine. It's very strong. Cab is quiet. Have 37K on it with no problems.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My stepdaughter has one and just loves it. They don't offer a manual transmission, so save your money up for transmission repairs though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just my $.02... but if you're serious about a toy hauler or a 5th wheel camper in your future I wouldn't even consider a 1/2 ton truck with a gas motor. That Toyota is a great truck but for serious towing as you describe a 3/4 ton diesel with it's beefier torque, brakes, suspension and drive train would be worth looking at.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts