GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed the Doran TPMS a short while ago and had an opportunity last weekend to take a good ride. The OAT when I left Sun Lakes was 55 degrees rising to 72 by the time we completed our ride. I knew to expect a pressure rise as the tires warmed up but did not know by how much.

My starting pressures were 38F and 40R. After about 10 miles, the pressures had climbed to 42F and 49 rear (we were two up). The pressures did not increase above those values all day. It was a cool day in Arizona so the real test will come later this summer. BTW, the tires are Bridgestones with about 100 miles on both.

My only disappointment is that the meter reads 'ON' all the time and you have to press a button to read the pressures. I would rather it display the pressures than the word ON.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My first question is how hard was it to install the monitor in the tires? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it? If a shop did it, did they complain about how much tougher it was to install? How big is the sensor? Does it look robust or fragil? When you press the button, does it send a signal to the tire sensor to transmit the signal to the receiver or does the sensor always transmit as long as the tire is rotating? Details! We need details! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My first question is how hard was it to install the monitor in the tires? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it? If a shop did it, did they complain about how much tougher it was to install? How big is the sensor? Does it look robust or fragil? When you press the button, does it send a signal to the tire sensor to transmit the signal to the receiver or does the sensor always transmit as long as the tire is rotating? Details! We need details! :thumbup:
Here ya go, even the owners manual is available vda pdf....
http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems.htm

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I would worry about anything that puts pressure on the valve stem all the time. Is there an option for an inside the rim sensor? Some units offer both, I would go for that,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the dealer install the sensors inside the wheels along with Doran metal stems when new tires were being installed. According to the manual, they transmit evry six minutes so that is the update frequency.

Thanks Ralph for the .pdf file location. That is much more convenient than digging our the manual every time I want to review something.:thumbup:

BTW, on todays ride, OAT ranged from 61 to 80, F went from 38 to 44 and R went from 39 to 50. Both returned to normal after cooling off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts