GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Gold Wing and have the TPMI light come on for no reason, tires ok 1st time it went off by itself after 15 minutes the 2nd time it came on and stayed until I stopped and went out when I restarted the engine. the light goes out normally when starting. Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
At 600 miles on my 2012 the light came on I was on the road, I stopped looked as best I could looked ok, finished my ride, next morning same thing I carefully checked the tire which looked and felt proper , low and behold a nail in the rear tire. Tire changed no problem since then , so I would double check visually and check pressure as prosso suggest , if all cok and still does it maybe dealer /warranty time. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have been having the same problem with my 2012 for the past 6 months, some days it works good and other days it turns on and off at will. Haven't had time to run it down or take it in for warranty work.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It comes on and will stay on for 3 minutes or more then next time I look down it will go off and not bother me anymore. Seems like it needs to warm up to riding temp then all is good. It is not the tire pressure but the TPMS that says the system is not working correctly. Some people get the two mixed up. I don't worry about it anymore as it has warned me before about a low back tire. Maybe a crappy system but it seems to work for the most part.

·
Registered
358 Posts
They are having problems with the system. Moisture in the tire is what Honda is claiming.
It's just a poor TPMS system. TPMS has been on autos for at least 15 years without all this drama.
I've had THREE sensor failures and a leaky o-ring on the tire valve stem unit.
Take it to the dealer and get it documented as a failure of a safety system.
IMHO

I have a 2013 Gold Wing and have the TPMI light come on for no reason, tires ok 1st time it went off by itself after 15 minutes the 2nd time it came on and stayed until I stopped and went out when I restarted the engine. the light goes out normally when starting. Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's as it seems I am not the only one, also sorry about the typo its TPMS light not TPMI

·
Registered
143 Posts
An accurate digital tire pressure gauge fix my issue with the TPMS light.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Which light? There are 2 TPMS indicator lamps. One has "TPMS" (system indicator) and the other has an icon that looks like a tire cross-section with an "!" in the center (low pressure indicator). The indicators mean different things and act differently.

If it is the low pressure indicator, is it flashing or solidly illuminated? Flashing means the tire is between 10% and 19% below the recommended pressure. If it is solid, the tire is 20% or more below the recommended pressure.

If the "TPMS" lamp illuminates then there is a way to pull the code to find out exactly what it is complaining about.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
The Kawasaki Concours uses the same system (made by LDL in France), and they have had lots of problems with it on that bike too. The TPMS light will come on if the receiver misses two transmission in a row. I believe they are set up to transmit once every 7 minutes or so under normal operating circumstances. Several things can cause a transmission not to be received, but the most common one is low battery voltage in the sensor. The battery voltage in these lithium ion batteries drops when they are cold, so what you may notice is that the light comes on when the bike is cold and you ride it, but once the tires warm up it starts working properly. Once the TPMS light comes on, it stays latched on, so you have to cycle the ignition on and off to reset it. If it only happens in colder temps with cold tires, it's probably the battery in one or both of your wheel sensors.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Fred is probably right with the low battery indication with the cooler temps. You can read the TPMS code if you are interested in tracking down what the system is complaining about.

There is a red 2 pin plug along the left frame rail in a connector boot under the passenger seat near the trunk. It looks like this:

You need a short bit of wire with small spade connectors or small alligator clips on both ends.

Remove the seat. Locate the red 2 pin plug shown in the picture above. Remove the cover of the red plug. Now turn the bike's ignition to "ON" and after 15 seconds or more, take your wire and connect one end to one of the pins in the red connector (doesn't matter which one) and then connect the other end of wire to the other pin in the red connector (effectively shorting out the connector). You must hold the wire in place on those pins which is when alligator clips or spade connectors is useful). Now the TPMS indicator should start flashing between 5 and 10 times with a pause and then the pattern will repeat. Count the number unique flash patterns.

Here is what the number of flashes equate to:

• 5 - Missing front tire pressure sensor No sensor response during riding signal reception (more than 10 minutes)
  • 6 - Missing rear tire pressure sensor No sensor response during riding signal reception (more than 10 minutes)
  • 7 - Front tire pressure sensor fault Sensor is sending incorrect data during riding (more than few minutes)
  • 8 - Rear tire pressure sensor fau lt Sensor is sending incorrect data during riding (more than few minutes)
  • 9 - Front tire pressure sensor low battery Sensor is sending low battery signal during riding (more than 10 minutes)
  • 10 - Rear tire pressure sensor low battery Sensor is sending low battery signal during riding (more than 10 minutes)
Once you have read the TPMS, you can turn the bike off, disconnect the shorting wire, and reassemble. Now you know what sensor(s) are causing you the issue.

Good luck!

The TPMS light

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
2012 with 45,000 miles. TPMS light started coming on during recent trip to Florida. TPMS light (not tire pressure light) will come on and go off after start up and then after a while it come on and stays on until ignition cycles. Sometimes after riding with the TPMS light on it just goes out a while then comes back on. I will check the codes.
Lyle

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Although battery replacement is being done by some here on the forum. I think the sensor in the wheel is only available as a complete unit from Honda. It should be covered by warranty. I will see if local Honda shop will warranty first. If not will replace battery.
Lyle

·
Registered
358 Posts
Although battery replacement is being done by some here on the forum. I think the sensor in the wheel is only available as a complete unit from Honda. It should be covered by warranty. I will see if local Honda shop will warranty first. If not will replace battery.
Lyle
This is definitely a warranty issue. They system is really substandard as compared to HD, or the auto industry.
I've had THREE failures in 23,000 miles, plus a leaking seal on the valve stem/sensor unit.

I have, and would advise all to call Honda customer and register a SAFETY system failure complaint. If enough of us do so Honda might actually fix the system.
jmho

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I dropped the bike off yesterday morning at Honda shop and the service manager was like talking to a brick wall. He ask me why I was riding in when it's 20* out and I just replied that it's 37* and left. The service manager just called and Said they replaced the rear tire sensor unit (because of low battery) and also they found that he TPMS receiver was not receiving a signal all the time. The receiver has to be ordered and I might have the bike back by end of next week! The also replaced a low beam headlight bulb. Lyle :shock:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Looks like you'll be all fixed up here shortly. :thumbup:

I dropped the bike off yesterday morning at Honda shop and the service manager was like talking to a brick wall. He ask me why I was riding in when it's 20* out and I just replied that it's 37* and left. The service manager just called and Said they replaced the rear tire sensor unit (because of low battery) and also they found that he TPMS receiver was not receiving a signal all the time. The receiver has to be ordered and I might have the bike back by end of next week! The also replaced a low beam headlight bulb. Lyle :shock:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts