GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I tried the big C-clamp trick on the rear tire to try and get to the TPMS sensor. I would have to advice against, because of high risk of the tire bead hitting and breaking the sensor instead of going over it. So, enough of that, time to take it to where they have these big machines for tire removal. Oh well, that was still less than the shipping cost of the new batteries. Two more tips.... It may be an alan to remove the sensor, but it is torx to open it up. And before you solder, but sure to use some flux to clean up the gooey residue so you will get a good solder. I took everything with me that I needed to solder in the new battery to the shop except my torx bits and some flux. It took a while to get solder to stick to one end because of the substance that turned to goo with heat from the iron. I don't remember the link that had good directions, but I don't think it was here and they did not mention tool types needed. But that was only an issue because I was not near my tools.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
The circuit board and battery connections are covered with conformal coating. It would be a good idea to remove this first. Usually you can remove it with solvents. I have some photos on line that may help here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor

And here is a link to a thread on the COG forum with more details.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,37344.0.html

Also, if you don't feel confident enough to do this yourself, I have a standing offer to replace them for folks. If you'll ship me your sensor, I'll replace the batteries in it and ship it back to you for $35 for one or $45 for two. This is just enough to cover my costs and time and shipping.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yes, those TPMS sensors stick up quite a bit which is why so many get broken during tire changes. :evil:

OK, I tried the big C-clamp trick on the rear tire to try and get to the TPMS sensor. I would have to advice against, because of high risk of the tire bead hitting and breaking the sensor instead of going over it. So, enough of that, time to take it to where they have these big machines for tire removal. Oh well, that was still less than the shipping cost of the new batteries. Two more tips.... It may be an alan to remove the sensor, but it is torx to open it up. And before you solder, but sure to use some flux to clean up the gooey residue so you will get a good solder. I took everything with me that I needed to solder in the new battery to the shop except my torx bits and some flux. It took a while to get solder to stick to one end because of the substance that turned to goo with heat from the iron. I don't remember the link that had good directions, but I don't think it was here and they did not mention tool types needed. But that was only an issue because I was not near my tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts