GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the display can't figure out that I'm on the Wing instead of in a cage...but it does give me tire pressure, temp. and the gps is a good backup for the other two.

I just bought the Orange Electronic Combo unit sized for a Mini-Cooper and kinda like the unit. My '08 Premium Audio is about as plain jane as a Wing can be but little by little I'm adding the safety features I think will keep Momma pretty for a long time.

The TPMS info you guys provided made me uncomfortable riding a ROF with out knowing if I had good air pressure. So, I looked at all the offerings I could find on the Net and decided that, since I pull a trailer, I'd get a 4 position TPMS.

And...since I have some type of testicular related aversion to asking for directions, I thought I would try a TPMS/GPS. Now I have 3 GPS units when I leave the house..

Orange uses the inside the tire sensors and the unit works well except for a constant "map obsolete" warning whenever I start it and the fact that the ease of use doesn't approach that of a Garmin or any of the other common GPS units.

Orange service sucks BTW. I emailed them 4 times trying to get info on map upgrades and still have no response. I'm going to disable the alarm myself. Hope I don't have any real problems with the unit.

Amazon has the unit for $214 inc. tax, shipping. Although I like the unit, I'd recommend waiting to see if Garmin picks up on the app and comes out with a unit anytime soon.

For you "seasoned" members of the forum, thank you for the knowledge you share.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
3 GPS's and I thought I get lost easily :eek:4::p:joke:

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
I run a TMPS system on my bike. Big bike brand, I think. Its the one with key fob. I use it mainly for my comfort when I am playing in the mountains, when I am in the twisties. Nice to quickly glance and look to see if the front tire has air in it right before I lean her over.

But, I am like many others here. The best TPMS is your seat sensor, your bum, tootz or what ever people are calling their bottom side these days. If you are running a runflat, take a quiet afternoon in a parking lot or not so busy backroad and start letting out 5 psi at a time to see what it feels like, when the tire is running low on air. All the way to zero psi. My seat isn't the most sensitive in the world, but it doesn't take long to realize the handling differences.

Sounds pretty cool having on a GPS.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I must admit to electronic farkle lust..

Actually have 4 gps units.. We have the two iPhones, a Garmin and the Orange Electonic..oh, forgot the eTrex, i guess that's 5 units. I don't turn them all on at once, they fight.

I like the TPMS simply because I can check air pressure without laying down in a parking lot during the day. I check the tires with the digital pressure gauge only three times a day now that I have the TPMS. Also, I have the 4 position unit so I know what's happening with the trailer real time.

Yup, I sure know the feeling when a tire is losing air...only one blowout though. Rear tire blew between Orlando and Brooksville once a long time ago. Didn't go down but I didn't like the experience. I've had nails in front and back tires at one time or another but only one blowout. I don't even want to imagine what happens on a front blowout! After riding dirt, hill climbs and thousands of miles on the slab, I think I'm a fair rider but there are some things I just don't want to learn by experience. I'll stick with theory on that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts