GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did the reverse thing on my tpms (reads the back as the front and vice versa) it worked well. i had a toranza ct on rear i kept 29# of air, tpms never flashed.

i have now mounted a primacy and it is forcing me to keep 36# of air, below that it flashes until i get some miles and the tire heats up and it quits flashing.

why is it different now?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw i did air it up past 52# and brought it back down to 30 but no bueno

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have the michelin Alpin ZP and I did the reverse reg and I have 32 in rear and 39 in front and on these cold mornings here in NY it takes 7 to 10 miles for the rear to warm up to temp but it's not 36#s . I should be always on with 29#s I would think since that's way below the lower threshold.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering if it's because it's a run-flat. I wish I could offer some insight beyond that, but I keep mine just shy of 40, I like it to round a little.
the toranza was a run flat

·
Registered
827 Posts
i did the reverse thing on my tpms (reads the back as the front and vice versa) it worked well. i had a toranza ct on rear i kept 29# of air, tpms never flashed.

i have now mounted a primacy and it is forcing me to keep 36# of air, below that it flashes until i get some miles and the tire heats up and it quits flashing

why is it different now?
I'm surprised I wasn't flashing at 29lbs before. Are you sure it was working right then? I too did the reverse sensor thing and found I would get the slow flash at anything below 36lbs in the rear. I run 31 on the alpin zp and it always flashes until the tire heats up to 36lbs pressure.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I must have got lucky. I mounted a RF CT and reversed registered the sensors and have been running 35# in rear. No lights have come on. I do have a new sensor in front wheel and new battery in rear sensor.
Lyle

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

i have now mounted a primacy and it is forcing me to keep 36# of air, below that it flashes until i get some miles and the tire heats up and it quits flashing.

why is it different now?
~36psi would be the lowest the OEM TPMS would "ignore" before flashing. If the system wasn't alerting you with a rear tire pressure of 29 (even with the sensors reverse registered) either the system is dysfunctional OR your tire pressure gauge was wrong. :shrug:

The current behavior of the system you are describing is what I would expect for a properly operating system OEM TPMS that wasn't reverse registered. If you want to run lower rear pressures without the low pressure light flashing at you, you need to disable the system.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
~36psi would be the lowest the OEM TPMS would "ignore" before flashing. If the system wasn't alerting you with a rear tire pressure of 29 (even with the sensors reverse registered) either the system is dysfunctional OR your tire pressure gauge was wrong. :shrug:

The current behavior of the system you are describing is what I would expect for a properly operating reverse registered OEM TPMS. If you want to run lower rear pressures without the low pressure light flashing at you, you need to disable the system.

thanks, I think I will just have to live with the 36#.

However, my tire pressure certainly could not have been wrong, I paid 79 cents for it in a check out line at walmart:joke:

·
Registered
827 Posts

However, my tire pressure certainly could not have been wrong, I paid 79 cents for it in a check out line at walmart:joke:
You don't have to live with 36lbs. AT 29lbs I got use to the flashing for a few miles until the tire heated up and the light stops. It also shows me the system is working well with each ride. AT first I was a bit worried that if I had no air in the run flat I would not know it for many miles but found out that if had no air the light would be solid and not flashing anyway. Run what you like and you will get use to it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

I should make a minor correction in my post. A normally registered OEM TPMS will flash the low pressure light at a pressure around 36psi (~10% below 41psi). If your system is successfully reverse registered, you should be able to run the rear down to ~32lbs before the low pressure light flashes at you. Below ~29psi and the low pressure light will come on solid indicating ~20% below Honda's recommended pressure (which is 36 for the front).

You shouldn't need to reverse register your wheels each time you mount a tire unless your using a different set of rims. I would pull the code on your TPMS DCT. If the code indicates a low rear tire, then you have not successfully reverse registered your tires.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Reverse Register....... what does that accomplish ?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Reverse Register....... what does that accomplish ?
It registers the rear wheel sensor as the front sensor (and the front wheel sensor as the rear sensor) in the mind of the TPMS module. The result is that the TPMS module assigns 36psi as the set pressure for the rear wheel and 41 psi as the set pressure for the front tire. This lets you run a lower rear tire pressure without having the TPMS module trigger the low tire pressure warning. This also results in increasing the set pressure for the front tire from 36 to 41 but as most folks run the front tires at 38-41, that isn't an issue.

Honda's system is pretty dumb. When you register the wheel sensors, the TPMS module assigns 36 psi as the set pressure to the first wheel sensor you register. The second wheel sensor gets the set pressure of 41 psi. This is why the manual instructs you to register the front wheel first. By simply reversing the wheel order, you "dupe" the system into thinking the front is the rear and the rear is the front.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Triumph's system is a little different, you enter the serial number of the sensor in to the ECM for the location it's installed. I thought it was a little anal until I read this thread and understand how Honda does it. Do the Honda sensors have replaceable batteries? The Triumph system does not and new TPMS sensors are $180 plus installation cost. I had one fail under warranty and at that price don't think I will not be replacing them when they expire on my dime. Luckily, you can disable the system in the ECM.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Triumph's system is a little different, you enter the serial number of the sensor in to the ECM for the location it's installed. I thought it was a little anal until I read this thread and understand how Honda does it. Do the Honda sensors have replaceable batteries? The Triumph system does not and new TPMS sensors are $180 plus installation cost. I had one fail under warranty and at that price don't think I will not be replacing them when they expire on my dime. Luckily, you can disable the system in the ECM.
they are replaceable if you send them to Fred H. He is the only guy I know that knows how to replace them. I think they last 5 years or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts