GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents

The TPMS light on my '09 ABS will not go off. This isn't the high/low sensor light, but the yellow system warning light. Since day 1.
I have had the bike in three times, the first two the service techs said it is a new feature and they dont know how to handle it.

Last week after two hours they reset it. Light went off for 1 hour then came back on and wont go off.

I am really pissed at Honda for such a cavalier attitude, especially on a new bike with a new feature.

The techs told me now there are three or four more with same issue.

Has anyone heard from Honda Corp about this? Any other problems out there?

Hoping to resolve or just accept it doesnt work and buy a Tire pressure monitoring set up for the tire stems that I have on my VTX which does work.

Thanks all

David

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Gents

The TPMS light on my '09 ABS will not go off. This isn't the high/low sensor light, but the yellow system warning light. Since day 1.
I have had the bike in three times, the first two the service techs said it is a new feature and they dont know how to handle it.

Last week after two hours they reset it. Light went off for 1 hour then came back on and wont go off.

I am really pissed at Honda for such a cavalier attitude, especially on a new bike with a new feature.

Hoping to resolve or just accept it doesnt work and buy a Tire pressure monitoring set up for the tire stems that I have on my VTX which does work.

Thanks all

David
Don't give Honda all the credit! As I understand, TPMS is required per a NHTSA edict. I can see advantage to TPMS on a soft sprung luxury car or an 18 wheeler; but think it unnecessary on a motorcycle,trike or normal sedan. In my opinion it's another example of our government helping (to lighten our pocket books).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have you tried another dealer? I have not had this problem, and enjoy having this feature. It has worked twice now during an extended ride, and I really did need to air up my tire.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Have you tried another dealer? I have not had this problem, and enjoy having this feature. It has worked twice now during an extended ride, and I really did need to air up my tire.
Good thought. Honda has lots of dealers but some of them seldom see a GL1800 and may not be up to speed with respect to the latest electrical gizmos.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have an '09 with 550 miles. I have not had the problem you have but the TPMS light does light when the tires are cold. Even as warm as 45 degrees. Wish I could help, but then again, glad I don't have the same problem.

I have a Service and Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. There are clear troubleshooting steps and 16 pages covering the system. The system stores it's own DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) There is a procedure for shorting the connector to read the codes. The receiver has three modes, Registration mode, Inspection Mode, and Diagnosis Mode. You'll need SCS Connector P/N 07WPZ-0010100 in order to test the system.

I'm short on time (got to go to work). I'll try to check on you later and see if I can help more.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Gents

Thanks all

David
Seems to me that the dealership is inept. Find another dealer. It's probably something simple like a dead wheel sensor that needs replacement.

I have 5,500 miles on my '09 and the only time the light has every come on was when my tire pressures had dropped due to sudden drop in outside temps from the previous day. System has worked flawlessly so far.

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
The tire pressure system on this bike is made by LDL out of France. It is the same system used on my 08 Kawasaki Concours.

We have had numerous reports of tire pressure sensor failures on the Concours, many on brand new bikes right out of the showroom. Kawasaki has had to replace MANY sensors on brand new bikes over the last year as a result.

The sensors use Lithium based batteries, and as such are subjected to problems from anode passivization in cold temps. If the light goes out after a short while, chances are good it is because of this. There is even a note in the service manual on page 26-3 that warns cold temps (-40 F) can cause the light to come on as a result of low battery voltage, and it should be considered normal.

However, I never saw this many complaints about the SmarTire sensors, and they also use a Lithium battery. My suspicion is that there is a problem with either the battery that LDL is using, or something else is wrong with thier sensor design, as they seem to be having an awful high number of failures with them.

So far, the ones on my Concours and 09 Wing seem to be working fine and I have not had any problems with them, but I live in a warmer climate.

My real complaint with the system on the Wing is that the dash light is not bright enough to alert you of a low tire, and you probably wouldn't even see it in daylight, and they also should display the tire pressure, and not just give you an idiot light.

Here is the display from my Concours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts