GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non-tour bike. I would like to add a Bluetooth tpms sensor that displays my tire pressure (such as a FOBO. Although my preference is the Cyclops Adventure Sports tpms sensor...same Bluetooth concept though).

Anyway, how is the stock tpms mounted in the rim? I think it’s attached to the rim vs inside the valve stem? I am assuming the non-tour tpms mounts the same in the factory rims as the tour but just doesn’t show the display on the dash?

The reason I ask is if I add a secondary tpms sensor for the fobo/my stand alone tpms monitor, those sensors connect to the valve stem. I like to replace my valve stems with metal t-valve stems so that I can leave the secondary tpms sensor in place and still add air to the tire. Will adding a t-valve stem mess up wherever the factory tpms sensor is or is the factory tpms sensor mounted somewhere in the rim out of the way of the valve stem area?

Also, Has anyone come up with a way for a non-tour to display tire pressure on the stock dash? Yes, I know it will flash and illuminate in a low pressure scenario but I would like to see a number value to keep an eye on tire pressures.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I would very much like to add this to my non-tour as well. In fact, it's the only tour feature that I hate wasn't included. I understand not adding the electronically adjustable preload, and traction control, etc. But seriously how much money did Honda save by not adding full pressure information???

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
The TPMS sensor is attached to the valve stem and held in place by the TPMS sensor nut. The sensors mount the same way on the tour and non tour models. If you have a service manual, page 26-13 shows how it is attached to the valve stem. A rubber cushion keeps the TPMS sensor from contacting the rim.

I don’t know if anyone has come up with a way to display the non tour tire pressure on the dash.

:doorag:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TPMS sensor is attached to the valve stem and held in place by the TPMS sensor nut. The sensors mount the same way on the tour and non tour models. If you have a service manual, page 26-13 shows how it is attached to the valve stem. A rubber cushion keeps the TPMS sensor from contacting the rim.

I don’t know if anyone has come up with a way to display the non tour tire pressure on the dash.

Thanks Murf! I do not have a service manual. The t-valve I have is this one (scroll down to the middle of the page): https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS

Do you think with a t-valve stem such as that you would be able to screw the factory tpms sensor onto it possibly? Or is the factory tpms sensor pretty big and likely wouldn’t have enough threads to go on there?

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Thanks Murf! I do not have a service manual. The t-valve I have is this one (scroll down to the middle of the page): https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS

Do you think with a t-valve stem such as that you would be able to screw the factory tpms sensor onto it possibly? Or is the factory tpms sensor pretty big and likely wouldn’t have enough threads to go on there?
I don’t know if it would work or not. You would have to remove the tire from the rear rim so you can loosen the TPMS sensor nut and remove the sensor, the mount rubber, the valve stem nut and the valve stem. You could then see if the t stem would fit and mate up with the existing sensor.

TBH, the simplest solution would be to replace the present valve stem caps with ones that have sensors and have a remote display on the handlebars or your smart phone. However, you would still need to remove the cap to add/remove air.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had fobo on my previous ride, back in 2016. Unless they have vastly improved I’m not interested. No matter how wide the range was, I got tons of false warnings. Did a iOS update on my iPhone and the fobo were no longer supported. Great idea, just not sure the Bluetooth was good. I have a non-tour 2018 and just trust the idiot light. I always check tire pressure before any long ride anyway.

·
IronMan
17,628 Posts
i had fobo on my previous ride, back in 2016. Unless they have vastly improved i’m not interested. No matter how wide the range was, i got tons of false warnings. Did a ios update on my iphone and the fobo were no longer supported. Great idea, just not sure the bluetooth was good. I have a non-tour 2018 and just trust the idiot light. I always check tire pressure before any long ride anyway.
maybe you had fauty sensor ?? Ive had for 4 yrs now on 3 bikes n no issues ! ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments.

The Cyclops Adventure sports unit is a stand alone unit with a screen that mounts on the dash area and constant shows the tire pressure. If it has a low pressure it beeps and blinks a red light quickly to catch your attention.

I had a fobo before and the sensors kept going bad so I switched to the Cyclops unit. I was very happy with the Cyclops unit and it just plain worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts