GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short time ago I took my 2018 dct tour to the Honda dealer for new tires in preparation for a long ride. Long story short when I got the bike back it would not shift out of first gear. I bought Freds video believing there was something special you’d needed to do when you removed the front wheel to ensure the TPMS did not read a flat tire. No information on the video. What do you do if you are on the road and take off the front tire and the motorcycle will not shift out of first gear? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
My understanding (and I am no Fred): The TPMS is not linked to the gear shifting in any manner. If the tire is low on air, it throws up a warning light. If you're stuck in first gear, its something completely different.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a new tire installed and when the dealer finished the dct would not shift out of first gear. The mechanic repaired this problem and stated that he did not reinstall the front wheel correctly and the Tpms was reading flat tire which in turn would not let the bike shift. I didn’t think it was connected either but would like to know so I am no stranded on a ride. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I bought Fred’s videos by the way they are very detailed and well done. Money well spent. I finally was able to contact Honda tech support and they said there are wheel spacers on each side of the wheel if they get reversed during a tire change it would cause cause a sensor Not to let motorcycle shift out of first gear. So if you change your own tires do not mix up the spacers. Fred’s video was very plain in identifying the spacers and where they went. Honda shops should buy his videos.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I am a bit puzzled how you improperly install the front tire so it reads "flat" unless he broke the TMPS sensor in the process. This theory leads to another issue..... Dead or weak battery in the TPMS and your DCT will not leave first gear? I'm glad I should not have to worry about that with it being a manual.......

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
This problem has nothing to do with the TPMS sensors. It is caused by the ABS wheel sensor not picking up the rotation of the front wheel. So the bike thinks you are either in a wheelie, or your back tire is spinning, and it will not allow the bike to shift out of 1st gear. If the wheel spacers are reversed when the front wheel is installed, it can not only prevent the ABS sensor from working, but it can also damage the ABS sensor ring, because it can get bent.

This same issue makes it difficult to put a DCT bike on a dyno. The Honda MCS tool can put the bike into a test mode that will allow it to be put on a dyno, but without that tool you're sunk if you want to dyno a DCT bike.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Fred's explanation makes sense. The "Tpms was reading flat tire" one would make me look for a different dealer/shop, but then putting the spacers on the wrong side would do that too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts