GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used these instructions but cannot get the TPMS to read the extra back wheel, tire, and tpms sensor I purchased. Can anyone tell me if the "red" plug referenced here is the "white" plug found in the same location on my 2018 GL1800?

Here are the directions I used with the VT-15 device.

I used a commonly available fork terminal because it fits perfectly in the connector. There is a special Honda tool for this called the Honda SCS Service Connector 07WPZ-0010100 for about $20.

NOTE: You must reset both sensors, first front then rear. If you have replaced one sensor, such as when you use a different wheel on the rear, you still have to rest both sensors.

1. Place the bike on the center stand.

2. Rotate both tires so that the valve stems are at six o'clock.

3. remove the seat.

4. remove the TPMS short connector from the boot. This is a red connector located aft on the left frame rail. Take off the dummy cap to expose the two connector terminals.

5. add air to both tires to put the sensors in programming mode. This requires that the tire pressures be at least 51 psi. I used 55 psi. After adding air, wait for at least 1 minute for the sensors to go into programming mode.

6. place the VT-15 tool next to the front wheel sensor. The order is important here because the TPMS receiver expects the front sensor first. I placed the VT-15 on a block of wood about 1 inch off the ground and within 6 inches of the front sensor.

7. turn on the ignition, then within 15 seconds insert the fork terminal in the short connector.

8. turn on the VT-15 (click left button). The nice thing about the VT-15 is that you don't have to hold the button on, it stays on so you can be standing to look at the TPMS indicator light on the dash.

9. in 3 or 4 seconds the TPMS indicator light should begin blinking at 1 Hz. The front sensor is now registered successfully.

10. within 1 minute point the VT-15 at the rear sensor. The TPMS indicator light will begin to blink at 3 Hz. The rear sensor is now successfully registered.

11. remove the fork terminal from the short connector.

12. turn off the ignition.

You're Done. Now bleed the air pressure down to 36 front/ 41 rear. Put the short connector back in the boot and install seat. Important: Go for a 5 minute ride to get the sensors out of programming mode.

Note: If it doesn’t work leave short in place and ride bike until both TPMS and Air pressure lights reset then remove the short.

·
Vendor
21,401 Posts
You won't be able to get the VT-15 to work on the new sensors. I've been in contact with ATEQ and they haven't programmed the proper communication protocol into the database yet. Hopefully they will have it ready in a few weeks. I can't say for sure if the database update will apply to the VT-15 or not, but if it is updatable, it probably will work once they get the new database out. Right now, even the Honda dealer tool can't communicate with the new sensors.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You won't be able to get the VT-15 to work on the new sensors. I've been in contact with ATEQ and they haven't programmed the proper communication protocol into the database yet. Hopefully they will have it ready in a few weeks. I can't say for sure if the database update will apply to the VT-15 or not, but if it is updatable, it probably will work once they get the new database out. Right now, even the Honda dealer tool can't communicate with the new sensors.
Does Anyone know if ATEQ has released software that works for the VT-15 or other ATEQ upgraded models , yet ? Or do the Honda dealers finally have ability to learn new sensors ? I have spare rear tire wheel assembly that I would like to use w/out swapping the one currently working on my 2018 DCT Tour .

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
Fred, thanks for trying and I know you will persist and let us know if/when this can be done. I had a trike take-off on this past weekend with new B'stone and, of course, the TPMS was - - - - for the rear, but worked normally for the OE front. The amber TPMS notice was on in upper left corner, but my phone obscures my view of that little pest. I did put my original rim and another new tire back on to see if the substitution had erased the pairing, it had not and all worked fine again.

prs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does Anyone know if ATEQ has released software that works for the VT-15 or other ATEQ upgraded models , yet ? Or do the Honda dealers finally have ability to learn new sensors ? I have spare rear tire wheel assembly that I would like to use w/out swapping the one currently working on my 2018 DCT Tour .
I got a message from them today and they said the VT-15 works withe the 2018 GL1800

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used these instructions but cannot get the TPMS to read the extra back wheel, tire, and tpms sensor I purchased. Can anyone tell me if the "red" plug referenced here is the "white" plug found in the same location on my 2018 GL1800?

Here are the directions I used with the VT-15 device.

I used a commonly available fork terminal because it fits perfectly in the connector. There is a special Honda tool for this called the Honda SCS Service Connector 07WPZ-0010100 for about $20.

NOTE: You must reset both sensors, first front then rear. If you have replaced one sensor, such as when you use a different wheel on the rear, you still have to rest both sensors.

1. Place the bike on the center stand.

2. Rotate both tires so that the valve stems are at six o'clock.

3. remove the seat.

4. remove the TPMS short connector from the boot. This is a red connector located aft on the left frame rail. Take off the dummy cap to expose the two connector terminals.

5. add air to both tires to put the sensors in programming mode. This requires that the tire pressures be at least 51 psi. I used 55 psi. After adding air, wait for at least 1 minute for the sensors to go into programming mode.

6. place the VT-15 tool next to the front wheel sensor. The order is important here because the TPMS receiver expects the front sensor first. I placed the VT-15 on a block of wood about 1 inch off the ground and within 6 inches of the front sensor.

7. turn on the ignition, then within 15 seconds insert the fork terminal in the short connector.

8. turn on the VT-15 (click left button). The nice thing about the VT-15 is that you don't have to hold the button on, it stays on so you can be standing to look at the TPMS indicator light on the dash.

9. in 3 or 4 seconds the TPMS indicator light should begin blinking at 1 Hz. The front sensor is now registered successfully.

10. within 1 minute point the VT-15 at the rear sensor. The TPMS indicator light will begin to blink at 3 Hz. The rear sensor is now successfully registered.

11. remove the fork terminal from the short connector.

12. turn off the ignition.

You're Done. Now bleed the air pressure down to 36 front/ 41 rear. Put the short connector back in the boot and install seat. Important: Go for a 5 minute ride to get the sensors out of programming mode.

Note: If it doesn’t work leave short in place and ride bike until both TPMS and Air pressure lights reset then remove the short.
On the 2018 the plug for the TPMS is under the left side cover to the right of the battery

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
To get VT-15 units to work, at least ones no shipped very recently, the company provides an online download with the new firmware. Fred reported that in another thread.

prs

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can't speak for VT15, but I do have a VT36, and it will talk to 2018 sensors since I did update back in oct 2019. Had an earlier one in spring 2019, Ateq web then said yes will work with 2017-2018 but that was wrong. sent that unit back, reordered another, downloaded newer software around oct 2019, now showed 2018-2019 in models on unit and will see the tpms on bike even on spare rear wheel/ tire i bought for when darkside time fitting is due.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't speak for VT15, but I do have a VT36, and it will talk to 2018 sensors since I did update back in oct 2019. Had an earlier one in spring 2019, Ateq web then said yes will work with 2017-2018 but that was wrong. sent that unit back, reordered another, downloaded newer software around oct 2019, now showed 2018-2019 in models on unit and will see the tpms on bike even on spare rear wheel/ tire i bought for when darkside time fitting is due.
I have an extra rear tire/wheel assembly that I would like to sync the TPMS to my bike. Do you know if doing so will delete the original rear wheel TPMS so that it must be re-synced to the bike when it is installed? My dealer says that the bike can only handle two codes. Something doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
You will need to recode BOTH wheels, front first and then rear, in same session. Fred H. has an excellent video with step by step on his Vimeo site and I think that one may be free access,

Seems right or not, that is what it is.

Or, you can tape over the warning light. LOL

prs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interested in finding out if anyone is successful at getting one of the less expensive models to work. I see how some lesser versions have the feature to download a new database and maybe that's how it could work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I tried several times yesterday to use the VT-15 and just could not get it to work

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is there now a way to reprogram the sensors for lower tire pressures for a car tire??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts