GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 DCT Tour and I purchased a used rear wheel. I tried to have a dealer pair the newer wheel to the bike and after they played around for 40 plus minutes, they questioned whether the wheel I purchased had a sensor. While I was pretty confident that the seller had not removed the sensor prior to selling the wheel I could not answer with certainty. I purchased a ATEQ VT31 from Tire Rack that the manufacturer had recommended. It turns out the the VT31 will not work with 2018 or newer GW's. I first contacted the manufacturer and they would exchange the VT31 for the VT37 allowing me a credit of approx $35 towards the VT37. I contacted Tire Rack and they gave me full credit and paid for return postage. It was not their fault yet they have great customer service.
The new VT 37 arrived and within 30 seconds I knew the new used wheel did in fact have a sensor. I watched Fred's video on pairing and had pairing completed first try within 2 minutes. Either the dealer tech has no clue as to how to pair or he needs to update his pairing tool.
One thing I noticed is that the VT37 has the ability to clone sensor id on many vehicles but not the Goldwing. It would have been nice to just clone the id and I'd be done with the pairing every time wheel is swapped. Pairing is easy so the clone id not working is not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My bet is the tech had no clue. The VT37 is ultra easy to use. Does the dealership have a 37 or an older model?

If you didn't get a chance to watch them attempt the activation, my first question would be "Did you close the saddlebag before activating the tool? My next question would be "Did you reset the front sensor first"?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bet is the tech had no clue. The VT37 is ultra easy to use. Does the dealership have a 37 or an older model?

If you didn't get a chance to watch them attempt the activation, my first question would be "Did you close the saddlebag before activating the tool? My next question would be "Did you reset the front sensor first"?
I did not see what tech did or didn't do and I don't know what tool. The VT31 listed the 2018+ Goldwing but didn't work. I updated the tool and 18+ Goldwing was no longer even listed. I left the left bag open when I get it paired. Front tire first.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I left the left bag open when I get it paired. Front tire first.
When I did mine the first time, it wouldn't work with the saddlebag open. Or maybe I did something else wrong, IDK. But it's kinda hard to foul up with a VT-37.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dumb question guys: do you have to reset the TPMS sensors whenever you get a new tire installed or is that only required if you install a new sensor? Just trying to figured out why you’d ever need to use that tool to program a sensor once it’s set up? Trying to justify the need to purchase the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Dumb question guys: do you have to reset the TPMS sensors whenever you get a new tire installed or is that only required if you install a new sensor? Just trying to figured out why you’d ever need to use that tool to program a sensor once it’s set up? Trying to justify the need to purchase the tool.
No, you do not need to reset sensors whenever you get a new tire. Bayrec and I have a spare rear tire/wheel, so we need to reset them when we install that wheel. As for justifying the tool purchase, gadgets are cool!!!

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT Tour and I purchased a used rear wheel. I tried to have a dealer pair the newer wheel to the bike and after they played around for 40 plus minutes, they questioned whether the wheel I purchased had a sensor. While I was pretty confident that the seller had not removed the sensor prior to selling the wheel I could not answer with certainty. I purchased a ATEQ VT31 from Tire Rack that the manufacturer had recommended. It turns out the the VT31 will not work with 2018 or newer GW's. I first contacted the manufacturer and they would exchange the VT31 for the VT37 allowing me a credit of approx $35 towards the VT37. I contacted Tire Rack and they gave me full credit and paid for return postage. It was not their fault yet they have great customer service.
The new VT 37 arrived and within 30 seconds I knew the new used wheel did in fact have a sensor. I watched Fred's video on pairing and had pairing completed first try within 2 minutes. Either the dealer tech has no clue as to how to pair or he needs to update his pairing tool.
One thing I noticed is that the VT37 has the ability to clone sensor id on many vehicles but not the Goldwing. It would have been nice to just clone the id and I'd be done with the pairing every time wheel is swapped. Pairing is easy so the clone id not working is not a big deal.
With my 2012 I had to increase the tire pressure to put the sensor into programming mode did you have to do that?
I have also heard that the saddlebag needs to be closed or the procedure won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
For $318 for the VT-37 I can just stare at the tpms light. Lol

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
For $318 for the VT-37 I can just stare at the tpms light. Lol
I purchased VT37 for $217 on Tire Rack. They allowed me full credit (after 90day) for return of VT31 (doesn't work on Gold Wings) so I had to pay an additional $127. I wasted nearly an hour at a dealer in Florida waiting for them to unsuccessfully pair the 2nd wheel to the bike, They were well over $100/hour ($135/hour I think) so if are swapping tire/wheels frequently, there is a need to own some kind of pairing tool.
My only minor disappointment is that the tool will clone the id of one sensor onto another - both wheels appear to be the same to the vehicle. Unfortunately, the sensor on the 18+ GL1800 may not be programable or the tool incapable of reprogramming the GL1800 sensor.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My only minor disappointment is that the tool will clone the id of one sensor onto another - both wheels appear to be the same to the vehicle. Unfortunately, the sensor on the 18+ GL1800 may not be programable or the tool incapable of reprogramming the GL1800 sensor.
What does this mean? When I installed a new rear, the tool saw the new sensor and told the bike it was for the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What does this mean? When I installed a new rear, the tool saw the new sensor and told the bike it was for the rear wheel.
When you switch back to the original wheel/sensor you will have to pair the old wheel. It would have been nice to just clone the original wheel so that the bike did not know which wheel was on bike as they both have the same identifiers to appear as the same. Many OEM sensors apparently are able to be programed with the VT37 to appear as same wheel/sensor. I tried to clone but it couldn't.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
That seems to be a newer model than the VT I have, if memory serves. I had to update before mine would work. I have new tires to mount and will probably do that this evning using a spre rear rim again. It is easy to re-register, eventhough with mine I have to do the front and then the back even if the front has not been changed.

prs

Reactions: Bayrec

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
When you switch back to the original wheel/sensor you will have to pair the old wheel. It would have been nice to just clone the original wheel so that the bike did not know which wheel was on bike as they both have the same identifiers to appear as the same. Many OEM sensors apparently are able to be programed with the VT37 to appear as same wheel/sensor. I tried to clone but it couldn't.
Now I understand. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, Pearl White
25 Posts
I purchased VT37 for $217 on Tire Rack. They allowed me full credit (after 90day) for return of VT31 (doesn't work on Gold Wings) so I had to pay an additional $127. I wasted nearly an hour at a dealer in Florida waiting for them to unsuccessfully pair the 2nd wheel to the bike, They were well over $100/hour ($135/hour I think) so if are swapping tire/wheels frequently, there is a need to own some kind of pairing tool.
I bought a VT15 new on eBay for $79. It did the job quite easily. It had to updated through the supplied software on my PC first though.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I just came in from changing rear tire on alternate rim and using my VT36 as shown by Fred. I notice the 36 unit has selection for which wheel to read and program, but I simply followed Fred's routine instead of trying to do only the rear. First attempt I timed-out due to slow insertion of the bridging tool and I had to start over. Easy enough.

prs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts