GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is to those with a 2010 TPMS with CT. I received my new rim today and I have ordered my Sunny 3830( thanks Rocketman). What am I going to have to do make this work?

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
My question is to those with a 2010 TPMS with CT. I received my new rim today and I have ordered my Sunny 3830( thanks Rocketman). What am I going to have to do make this work?
If my good friend JPINPA where here he would say buy life insurance :lol: I believe nothing has to be done to get TMPS to work, but i am sure others will chime in for more positive answer.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I too have a 2010 Wing with TPMS and I too have a Sunny 3830 waiting to go on. I got me another TPMS wheel from a new bike that had been triked so when it is time to swap I hope to just take one wheel off and put the other on.

I plan on running 40-44 lbs in my Sunny to keep both it happy and the TPMS light from flashing. From everything that I have read about that tire is that is the range it is best to run at.

Let us all know how yours works. I hope it's a keeper!

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
I believe there is a tool you need to use to set (register) your sensor to the TPMS system. I guess this gizmo isn't cheap so most take it to the dealer and let them do it. Same sensor, no issues. Just keep the psi above 36 so the light will stay off.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I too have a 2010 Wing with TPMS and I too have a Sunny 3830 waiting to go on. I got me another TPMS wheel from a new bike that had been triked so when it is time to swap I hope to just take one wheel off and put the other on.

I plan on running 40-44 lbs in my Sunny to keep both it happy and the TPMS light from flashing. From everything that I have read about that tire is that is the range it is best to run at.

Let us all know how yours works. I hope it's a keeper!
Rusty, for something for you to go by, I have around 4,000 on my Sunny now and have been running it at 41psi for my normal riding. I have run it at 38psi on the slab and it done me fine. When I run the BRP and Dragon type of riding, I bumped it up to 44psi! Happy riding!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you swap the valve stem and sensor on your current wheel to the new wheel you will not have to do anything to the TPMS system. If you use the sensor/stem that comes with the new wheel you will have to re-learn the sensor every time you switch wheels. Be careful if you mount your own tires by hand, it is easy to break a sensor, even with a no touch style tire machine at a shop.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Rusty, for something for you to go by, I have around 4,000 on my Sunny now and have been running it at 41psi for my normal riding. I have run it at 38psi on the slab and it done me fine. When I run the BRP and Dragon type of riding, I bumped it up to 44psi! Happy riding!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks for the info, Rocketman! The wheel that I bought from the triked bike has a tire with only around 4K miles on it so that will be going on my bike after the factory Dunlop is all gone. I am anxious to give my new CT a try, but I may as well use up the factory rubber first. Trust me, by this time next year I hope to be a Darksider veteran!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just found this tread from dasbrow. It answers alot of questions.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286717
Hey Rusty this should help us and others to fix the problem.
Rocket, thanks for the tire pressure info. I will keep you informed when I get my Sunny on.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
You have 2 issues you need to address for the OEM TPMS. 1) sensor registration and 2) low pressure indicator.

1. Registering the sensor: To "quiet" the TPMS light, you need to register your new rim with the bike when you install it. The Wing's TPMS brain can only have two wheel sensors registered at any point in time (1 front and 1 rear) so registration is something that must be done everytime you switch rims. You can purchase a device from Ateq that will let you register wheel sensors to the Wing's TPMS unit. The VT15 is the least expensive device they have that will get the job done for you. It runs around $100.

You can also head to a local Honda dealership and ask them how much they charge to register the sensors. It should take about 10 minutes to get it done. I don't know what they will charge you though.

The procedures on registering wheel sensors is covered in chapter 26 of the service manual. It is VERY simple but you need the registering tool to do it.
  2. Now for the pressure indicator: If you run that tire at anything over 38psi, you wont ever have low pressure indicators from the OEM TPMS about low air level. If you run it around 36, you will likely get a low pressure alert from the OEM TPMS when the tires are "cold" but as the pressure builds, the alert will go away after a few miles. You may even get away at 34 psi if the temps are warm enough. Bottom line: anything under 38 psi in the rear tire will get you a low pressure indicator light.
I disabled my OEM TPMS so I don't have to be bothered by the idiot lights when switching wheels or running 28-30psi on the rear tire. I have the Ateq VT15 to register my wheel sensors but I don't bother anymore.

You can see how I disabled the OEM TPMS on my bike on this thread. I run a Doran TPMS instead which I like much better than the OEM system. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273674

Note in the picture below how neither of my TPMS lights illuminate when I initially turn the bike on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rob. I think I'm going to get the VT 15 cause the tire I'm going to run is a nrf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts