GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at putting on a Tire pressure monitoring system the ones Ive found so far on the web are screw on the valve stem, thats just asking for problems, are there any more out there that are internal.
:shrug:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The Doran can be mounted inside the tire as well as on the outside. Mine has been mounted outside for about a year with no problems.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:agree: Mine are outside also with no problems!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
mount outside is fine if you have replaced the OEM rubber stems
with metal stems.

Dennis

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just looked at the doran they come with metal 90deg stims I do like the idea of being able to mount them inside, would there be a downside to that. I like being able to add air wo taking the sensors off. is there any locking mecinism on the sensors?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have used the Doran on the outside and in the inside. The down side of having them on the outside is everytime you have to add air you have to take the sensor off. The down side to mounting inside is when a sensor battery is finished, you either have to pull the tire or mount another on the outside. That's where I am now on my rear tire. One on the inside and one on the outside. I have the dyna beads and all is well.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
just looked at the doran they come with metal 90deg stims I do like the idea of being able to mount them inside, would there be a downside to that. I like being able to add air wo taking the sensors off. is there any locking mecinism on the sensors?
I have my Doran sensors on the inside. People think a downside is if the sensor dies, you're stuck with a dead sensor until you change your tire. This is not a problem. Just mount the new sensor on the outside. When it's time to change the tire, get rid of the dead sensor and put the new one on the inside.

The only real downside I can think of is if someone else changes your tire and doesn't know about the internal sensor. If they're not careful I guess they could damage it.

Dynabeads inside the tire do not affect the internal sensor. I've not had any problems.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I personally like the idea of having them inside
and it makes total sense if you only change your tires
every two or threes years (like cars).

But on our bikes, some of us change tires two or three times
a year and then it's very hard to not damage the sensors when you change the tires.

After personally busting a few internal sensors, I've gone to external sensors.

Most of the air lost in my tires was from me checking the pressure
three or four times a week..
.. now that I don't do that I only need to add air once or twice a month.

I have no vested interest but my most recent acquisition and favorite
is the 2nd gen "TireGuard"...
what I like most about them is I don't have to ride a few blocks to get a "fresh" reading from the sensors.
... usually, just starting the bike provides enough vibration to wake them up so I know if my pressure needs attention before I leave the house.

my two cents..

Dennis

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
what I like most about them is I don't have to ride a few blocks to get a "fresh" reading from the sensors.
... usually, just starting the bike provides enough vibration to wake them up so I know if my pressure needs attention before I leave the house.
I installed a rocker switch to turn the Doran TPMS off. I leave it on 24/7, and turn it off when the bike goes down for its winter nap. The battery drain is negligible. Advantage of leaving it on is that you get an immediate reading as Dennis mentioned. Also, if something happens to go wrong when the bike is sitting idle in the garage, the sensor will pick this up and sound the alarm.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Can the TireGard sensors be installed on the 90 degree valve stems, or do I need to replace with straight stems?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Can the TireGard sensors be installed on the 90 degree valve stems, or do I need to replace with straight stems?
I've got mine on 90 degree "Patchboy" stems
and they work fine.

Dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kisan Technologies, Inc also makes a TPMS Tire Alert. No batteries.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
if something happens to go wrong when the bike is sitting idle in the garage, the sensor will pick this up and sound the alarm.
This is exactly what just happened. Returned from a one-week business trip to find the red warning light flashing on my Doran TPMS. Before I left I had been playing around with air pressure when the tire was hot (that's a non-no), and had let too much air out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Removing the sensor for tire pressure adjustment is no more difficult than removing the valve stem cap for the same. The advantage of doing it on the Doran system I have (sensors on Doran straight valve stems on the outside) is that the alarm immediately goes off and the system goes active. I add air, and when I replace the sensor, get an immediate reading. It works better than a tire gauge, which I essentially no longer use. Also, since I no longer have to use the gauge to check air daily, I only have to add air about every 10-14 days. YMMV, but I'll stick with the sensors on the outside.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where to get my TPMS

Ok, so here is what I found for a good TPMS. Anyone have a better location to purchase these from?

Can someone link to a good metal 90 degree valve stem?

I like the ones from Kurvy Girl, but, of course, have not tried them on a Wing. Anyone else tried them? Or have good advice?

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Or have good advice?
I'd be looking at Doran. $199.99 on their website. Includes 90 degree valve stems. Few extra dollars, but excellent quality. A few friends of mine purchased systems like the one you are looking at with a monitor that hangs off the keychain. They velcroed the monitor to their bikes, but in the end just didn't like the system. Don't know what the make was. (BTW, what is the gray and black rectangular item in the picture, just below the monitor?)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Display size may be something to consider. The keychain is a bit on the small side for me. The Doran is a bit larger and easier to read while riding down the road....if that is important to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the temperature display capabilities. Not a deal breaker, but...

Was just looking at the 4-tire one offered by the same manufacturer and like it. But, Doran has the remote light.

Decisions...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts