GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for my fellow Darkside riders. Have any of you had any issues with loss of airpressue as a result of the TPMS? The reason I ask is because I also pull a 38" RV which I purchased a very top line TPMS for my Fiver and my Truck. My Trailer kept losing air pressure while in storage or when I would stop for more than a couple of night. After many frustrating trips to the Tire repair centers I finally removed the TPMS and have had no issues with the fiver since. This morning my Kumo was flat. I have examined the tire 3 times now. Cannot find a nail or any other reason for the loss. I have removed the TPMS to see if I get the same results. Just curious as anyone else that might have had a experience like mine?

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
nope..

I use the Tire Guard v2
..no loss of pressure at all

Dennis

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your Kuhmo is flat you will not be able to tell with out a pressure gauge. It is flat, believe me.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
check the gasket area

Your TPMS should seal up tight as a drum. Check the gasket along the inside sealing area, make sure it isn't worn or distorted. When installing the screw on the valve stem types, you want to be firm on sealing, but not gorilla tight. Overtightening will distort the gasket and cause leaks.

Air your tire up, install the TPMS, then take a bottle of windex or similar soapy water and spray liberally around the valve stem, TPMS and once you verify that area, start spraying the tire looking for rim leaks and nail holes.

When spraying around the valve stem, try and wiggle the stem back and forth (again, you are not a gorilla playing with Samsonite luggage). Look for leaks around the stem to rim fitting. If you have rubber stems, get rid of them and put on some metal ones, just asking for failure otherwise.

I haven't had any problems with my TPMS, and it saves quite a bit of hassle constantly checking my air pressure and worrying about what my air pressure is, especially on grooved pavement when I start wondering if the squirrely ride is from the pavement or a tire going flat. :eek:4:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
When I installed mine, I put a small dab of silicone grease on the gasket on the inside of the sending unit and stem part. Never lost any air from the sending units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts