GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a flashing caution light reference low tire pressure on my new GW. Checked tire pressure and its exactly what is recommended. Light goes off after a few miles down the road????

·
Registered
84 Posts
I get a flashing caution light reference low tire pressure on my new GW. Checked tire pressure and its exactly what is recommended. Light goes off after a few miles down the road????
Looks like you need to take it to the dealer. If the tire pressure is correct, the TPMS is set too high. The reason it goes off after a few miles is probably where the air is heating up and expanding in the tire, its reaching the setting for the monitoring system.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
I suspect this is because of a cold battery inside the TPMS sensor. It's normal for lithuim batteries to exhibit low voltages when first activated, especially in cooler temps. I believe there is even a note about this happening in colder temps in either the owners or service manual. If this is happening below about 45 degrees and the light stops blinking within a few miles after riding, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine did the same thing. I added 2 more lbs of air pressure and it fixed it.
I don't mind running a little high, and knowing that my tpms was that vigilant was a little comforting.

By the way, when you say the tire as presently at the recommended pressure, did you check that cold or after driving for a while?

Have you tried another gauge?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine worked for me, did same, both tires looked ok, continued home, cautiously , next morning found it was 9 lb difference in rear tire, with a finishing nail flush in the center of the tire. It appeared to me it activated when the initial loss of pressure occured. Good luck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
mine does the same thing. haven't gotten around to reading the owners manual about this. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the only time mine has done this is when it was 5lbs low on air.

my dealer had talked about having to fix one that was off. he ended up putting in 2 new sensors.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
no senser

I put a car tire on my 2009 and light did not come on for about 50 miles and the rim I used had no senser in it . Go figure.:eek:4:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2012. TPMS light on/off couple of times without a low pressure light. You need to take it to the dealer as I did. He tested the transmitters and neither one was putting out a signal. Warrenty replaced both and they were not cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My warning light appears to be fine. Lit up when my rear wheel was 5lbs low. Hope I didn't pick up a nail. :-?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was doing it also. When I checked the tires the rear was ok and the front was 3lbs low. Added 3lbs, to the maximum recommended and all is good. I'm surprised they are set this way. I don't really consider 3 lbs low. Looks like if this is how it's going to work I may have to run them a little high. I don't check actual pressure every time I get on. I'll do a visual. When it's blinking when I take off I feel a need to turn around and check them. Not knowing if I really have a problem or not.

I may have the dealer check it. The owners manual says a blinking light means "significantly underinflated". I can't comfortably ride it with a blinking light, thinking I may have a real problem. When the light stops I'm ok. But if it doesn't I got to find air. Hopefully just 3lbs. But that just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
blinking should be around 5lbs low. if it turns to solid then you should be around 10lbs low, time to check for sure. not sure how accurate they are but mine seem to be close. sure saved me when i picked up a nail

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Unfortunately, the short answer is "No." The TPMS wheel sensors likely can/do transmit pressures to the TPMS module but the module doesn't relay that information to the rider. If you're real good with electronics, you may be able to hack the TPMS module to get the read out.....MAYBE.

You'll need to use a tire guage or if you don't want to do that then get an aftermarket TPMS that displays pressures.

I have TPMS on my 2010. Is there a way to determine tire pressure without a gauge? Just go this one. Thanks.

Kid

·
Registered
11 Posts
blinking should be around 5lbs low. if it turns to solid then you should be around 10lbs low, time to check for sure. not sure how accurate they are but mine seem to be close. sure saved me when i picked up a nail
This helps a lot. Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for all the input on this.

When I bought my 2012 Wing (first one), I thought TPMS means I'm going to get the actual tire pressure measurement on the GPS screen when you hit Info...

I have this unit, from a previous bike that I"m not using. I thought of maybe putting it on the my bike, since it gives me the actual pressure, but was wondering about frequency interference from the OEM transmitters.. Any ideas?

http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems.htm

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mine's done this several times.

I just added a couple pounds and have never seen it again.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I run that Doran TPMS on my '09. I didn't notice any interference with the OEM TPMS. I've since disconnected the OEM TPMS since I run pressures outside of the set rear PSI warning levels and use a spare rim to switch tires. The Doran is infinitely more useful than the OEM TPMS and doesn't require me to go through the synch process the OEM TPMS requires when switching wheels.

Thanks for all the input on this.

When I bought my 2012 Wing (first one), I thought TPMS means I'm going to get the actual tire pressure measurement on the GPS screen when you hit Info...

I have this unit, from a previous bike that I"m not using. I thought of maybe putting it on the my bike, since it gives me the actual pressure, but was wondering about frequency interference from the OEM transmitters.. Any ideas?

http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems.htm

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Interesting. Thanks Fred. Any idea why Honda would use a TPMS that is so temperature sensitive? It seems to me that the best time to find out about a low tire is before riding off!

[
I suspect this is because of a cold battery inside the TPMS sensor. It's normal for lithuim batteries to exhibit low voltages when first activated, especially in cooler temps. I believe there is even a note about this happening in colder temps in either the owners or service manual. If this is happening below about 45 degrees and the light stops blinking within a few miles after riding, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts