GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend just bought a 2016 and plans on going Darkside. Questions about TPMS? Will in still work on both front and rear? Any advice
will be welcomed. Old Fred

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
No problem, except your friend will probably want to run at a lower pressure in the rear tire, e.g. 30-34#, and the TPMS system is set at 41 pounds for the rear. This will cause an TPMS alarm. He can ignore the alarm or try what I did.

I swapped the front and rear TPMS sensors to allow for a lower pressure in the rear and higher in the front. Not an ideal solution, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most switch how the TPMS receiver reads the sensors. You need to reset them so the receiver reads the rear sensor as the front and the front as the rear. Most run the rear tire around 30 lbs. give or take for your riding style. The rear sensor is set to read a higher pressure than that. The front sensor is set to read a lower pressure. So, switching them, you trick the receiver. The low pressure light will still flash until the rear warms up after a few miles.

You will need a ATEQ VT 15 reset tool to do this. If he is interested, I have one that I was just going to list for sale. I used it one time to reset my sensors. $50.00 plus shipping. A new one is around $100.00.

Do a search, there is all kinds of info and a good how to post on how to do the reset.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aloha Old Fred,

I've had great success with the FOBO TPMS system when I had a 2016 GL1800 and this will work with any 2017 and older bike.
It has an app which links it to your smart phone, you can set your pressure limits and will set off an alarm through your smart phone if limits are surpassed.
I also like that you can check you tire pressures on your smart phone without having to crawl on the ground.
But remember, you still need to visually check tires for road debris damage.
It's also best to use a "T" valve so you can add air and not have to reset sending units.
The sending units also have replaceable batteries that are available anywhere and they're cheap.
One last thing, call CSC Trikes and order a plug and play wiring bypass for the stock TPMS warning light on dash which is around $50, if the light staying on bothers you.

Hope this helps you as an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts