GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When new, both TPS were spot-on, but now that the high desert heat is here, a read-out error of 4-5 lbs (both wheels) has crept in - this is cold tires, early morning.
This becomes an issue each ride as the TPMS lights are flashing at me for the first 15 minutes. I’ve checked the readings against 2 reliable gauges, both agree that the TPMS is off.

Is there a user fix for this?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Are you checking with the gauge when tires are cold, and hopping on bike and comparing to the TPMS system reading that comes as soon as the bike activates the readings?

Mine read the same using the above method, but within 5 to 10 minutes of starting a ride the tire pressures are always both 4 to 5 pounds higher than the 'cold' reading.

I always set to Honda's recommended cold pressure settings of 36 and 41psi.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I believe the TPMS warning is set at -3 pounds. At least that was the pressure triggering the warning in the morning on my trip the Smokey Mountains last month. I really didn’t worry about it since after 3-5 minutes the pressures were normal. I don’t think it’s really possible to get the TPMS to match a tire guage because once the tire has rolled enough to trigger the system, resistance has been created that affects the pressure. Honda mentions that the TPMS might not match in the owner's manual. I wish the TPMS would display the pressure when the engine is started instead of after it starts rolling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info...
I inflated both tires to a cold pressure of 36 Fr and 41 rear. Verified with 2nd gauge. A few minutes down the road, TPMS is flashing, and readings are available: 31 or 32 front, 37 rear. Eventually these readings go up and the flashing stops. This seems to be too wide a variance, because in the winter the numbers where spot-on. Elevation here is about 3000’ ASL, and there’s been a 45 degree increase in the morning temps here.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know the tire gauge I use for the front tire is 1 psi higher than the dash reads.
The rear, the gauge shows 2 psi higher than the dash reads.
I know when I set the front according to my gauge at 37, the bike will read 36.
The rear, I set to 43 and the dash will show 41.
Of course this is before I ride it in the morning, and then as I head down the street and get up to about 20 - 25 mph the dash shows the correct tire pressure.
I have no idea if it is the gauge or the sensors that cause the difference in readings.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I know the tire gauge I use for the front tire is 1 psi higher than the dash reads.
The rear, the gauge shows 2 psi higher than the dash reads.
I know when I set the front according to my gauge at 37, the bike will read 36.
The rear, I set to 43 and the dash will show 41.
Of course this is before I ride it in the morning, and then as I head down the street and get up to about 20 - 25 mph the dash shows the correct tire pressure.
I have no idea if it is the gauge or the sensors that cause the difference in readings.
After sitting overnight, the sensors don't wake up to give a new reading until you ride it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts