GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a Victory Vision right now, but have been looking at updating to a new GoldWing (Non-DCT). I removed my trunk on my Vision and ride 99% of the time without it. I am thinking that the non-tour GoldWing would work just fine for me, but I know you lose some features with that bike.

So, of the things that you lose, the traction control is the only thing I'm a little concerned about. Obviously, I have never had it, but I'm thinking that when riding in the rain, it might be a nice feature. Does the non-tour have any kind of traction control? I know it does not have HSTC, but does the non-tour have any kind of basic traction control?

I'm not really concerned about the other features (don't need reverse, check tires before every ride so I don't need the digital readout for TPMS). The electronic adjustable preload might be nice, but I will probably set it pretty hard and leave it...I'm a pretty big guy (6'3" and 300 lbs) and my wife is not tiny either, so I may need to do a Traxxion upgrade anyway.

Obviously, the non-tour is substantially less expensive, plus I'd have to order the kit to remove the trunk on the tour, which would add more to the cost.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
To make the new Wing more affordable, Honda left off a few things like the Honda Selectable Traction Control, which is tied to the different modes like Tour and Sport.
Since the Standard Wing (bagger) has all four Modes, you would be fine using the Rain mode in bad weather.
And along with the included Linked ABS brakes, you would be pretty well covered for foul weather riding.
Jefro.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To make the new Wing more affordable, Honda left off a few things like the Honda Selectable Traction Control, which is tied to the different modes like Tour and Sport.
Since the Standard Wing (bagger) has all four Modes, you would be fine using the Rain mode in bad weather.
And along with the included Linked ABS brakes, you would be pretty well covered for foul weather riding.
Jefro.
I agree, I wouldnt let it hold me back from saving a ton of money not getting things I need.

PLUS, its not easy or cheap to convert the tour to a bagger like you want, I looked into it and its a lot of work and a decent amount of money. the traxion dymanics stuff help a lot with the speed I've heard but hurt a bunch with the MONEY, expensive! LOL

you can go w/o tpms, traction control and those minor things imo. they are nice to have stuff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually the non-tour does have tpms. It will not display the pressures, but it will put up an alarm for a low pressure condition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice guys. Yes, I knew the non-tour had a TPMS light, but not the digital readout. I forgot about the riding modes...rain mode is better than anything I've had in the past, and I've had no trouble, but riding back from Wisconsin a month or so ago, we rode in a driving rain storm on fresh "tar and chipped" roads. Definitely gives you a little pucker factor :) and rain mode would have been welcome in that situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts