GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I decide which Goldwing to purchase the factor of traction control on some of the bikes and not on others is one of the factors. Can anyone share a succinct and clear description of how that works and the impact it has on the safety of the machine?

I’m leaning toward a non-tour manual transmission model which would not have this feature. At the same time I am a big safety guy and generally appreciate as many safety features as possible.

Thank you!

·
Registered
482 Posts
from Honda's website:

Slipper Clutch

We’ve given our manual-transmission Gold Wings a slipper clutch, just like our premium sportbikes. It only makes sense—the 1833cc engine delivers tons of power, and the new chassis lets you ride this Gold Wing like a sportbike. Twisty roads? Bring ’em on!
STANDARD ON THESE GOLD WING TRIMS:

• GOLD WING
  • GOLD WING TOUR

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
mine has kicked in 4 times. 3 in the rain (standing water and in a turn)and once when I jumped on it hard off the line

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
While I have not had the traction control kick in on the Gold Wing. I have had it kick on when I had a BMW K1600GTL. I was in Texas in September on a two lane road behind a slow car. When there was a chance to pass I did the bike started to get sideways at about 80mph. The traction control kicked in and straightened the bike out. The road was damp and slick from the hot sun all summer.
On the K1600 it will also kick in if the front wheel lifts.
If you have to get a tour and take the trunk off to get Traction control you might want to think about that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The biggest benefit of traction control is definately during wet conditions. It is more of a want than need. If the bike had an insane amount of power and torque then its beneficial all the time. I have a zx14r and have had the t/c kick in several times however, we are talking about a touring bike with a lot less power. Don't let it scare you away from your purchase. Lets face it very few bikes NEED t/c. How did we survive without it? Wrist control. ABS is a different story....

·
Registered
794 Posts
I suggest you Google motorcycle traction control to get an accurate description of how TCS works.

But in short, how Honda's TCS worked on ST1100/1300s that I previously owned, is when a sensor detects rear wheel slip, the ignition is retarded to reduce engine power. When rear wheel slip is not detected any longer, ignition timing returns to normal and so does full engine power.

Honestly, you're better off searching online for an expert explanation from a reputable source rather than asking a group of well meaning, but 'amateur' enthusiasts such as us.

Tim

·
Registered
597 Posts
On the 18-19 Wings it works by monitoring wheel speed vs engine rpm and looks for a difference between the front and rear wheel (wheel slip) this will either reduce power or slip the clutch or both depending on conditions. If the system is designed right it will be seemless in operation. I have a Honda CRV car which is all-wheel drive and it takes all the fun (read stupid) out of snow driving, you can make that car do donuts or anything!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)

As I decide which Goldwing to purchase the factor of traction control...
In the Manual (page 120) it's called Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC). Like you stated, it's not offered on the non-Tour.

Torque Control will limit the amount of torque applied to the rear wheel when the system detects the rear wheel spin during acceleration. Torque Control can be turned on or off in the multi-information display of the Tour model under the following conditions.

• Torque Control mode (on/off) cannot be changed while riding.
  • Stop the motorcycle first and select the Torque Control mode (on/off) in the multi-information display.
  • Each time the ignition switch is turned ON, the Torque Control is automatically turned to on.
  • When the Riding mode is changed, the Torque Control characteristic also changes according to each mode.

I've never turned it off so I can't comment whether or not it's saved by butt one time or another. There are You Tube videos of HSTC turned off while the rider slides the bike around in a parking lot by goosing the throttle. Can't do that with HSTC turned on.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
While I have not had the traction control kick in on the Gold Wing. I have had it kick on when I had a BMW K1600GTL. I was in Texas in September on a two lane road behind a slow car. When there was a chance to pass I did the bike started to get sideways at about 80mph. The traction control kicked in and straightened the bike out. The road was damp and slick from the hot sun all summer.
On the K1600 it will also kick in if the front wheel lifts.
If you have to get a tour and take the trunk off to get Traction control you might want to think about that.
Yup...
The K1600 was pretty easy to kick in the traction control with all the power it has, especially earlier models.
Loads of fun at your discretion... :grin2:

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
I’ve read stories about going up a gradual hill with cruise control when it wet.... the tire breaks loose and the cruise control keeps the wheel spinning at “cruise control” speed and literally fishtails out of control..... traction would eliminate that problem.....

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
As I decide which Goldwing to purchase the factor of traction control on some of the bikes and not on others is one of the factors. Can anyone share a succinct and clear description of how that works and the impact it has on the safety of the machine?

I’m leaning toward a non-tour manual transmission model which would not have this feature. At the same time I am a big safety guy and generally appreciate as many safety features as possible.

Thank you!
If you don't trust yourself to control your right wrist, or take every manufacturers recommendation for decades not to use cruise control during wet weather conditions, I would recommend traction control. If you are a long time rider, you already understand the process of providing traction control yourself. While it certainly doesn't hurt anything to have it, your behavior will be more critical to your safety, JMHO.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I’ve read stories about going up a gradual hill with cruise control when it wet.... the tire breaks loose and the cruise control keeps the wheel spinning at “cruise control” speed and literally fishtails out of control..... traction would eliminate that problem.....

Mattbcnv
Matt, I never gave that a thought till you just mentioned it (cruise on when wet roads) Hmmmmmmmm I still have a 2010... Good suggestion here! DON'T DO IT!

Ronnie

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
16,984 Posts

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Fred, just wondering if the traction control can being on by default can be changed to being off by default in Tour and/or Sport mode with the ECU re-programming; yet left on by default in Rain and/or Eco modes.

prs

Yes, I believe it could be done.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Neat ride this afternoon for a couple of hours in the mountains in Sport with traction control off. The roads were clean and dry. The rear tire could be made to spin to the sides in the tight corners, but the limitation seemed to be lifting of the front tire to under steer or even baby wheelie. This is with a VERY grippy "alternative tire". Lots of fun, but the throttle response is way sharp.

prs

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
78 Posts
For normal touring I have only seen my traction control light 3 times in 36k miles on the new wing. Tar snakes! HOWEVER, I have LOVED it when riding gravel forest roads! Up an 18% incline that TC lighted up frequently and often. Kept the bike stable, in a straight line, and highly maneuverable without slipping at all. It was amazing. The Wing felt like a TANK grinding up that steep gravel road with the TC light blinking like crazy. Made it a breeze.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I live on a highway - pulling out of driveway, there is plenty of acceleration with HSTC turned on. With it shut off it is very easy to have the back end break loose. I am not as young as the rider in the video. I rarely have shut off the HSTC.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
TC kicked in in a curve, in a downpour in WV when I tried to move in front of a merging pickup truck that wanted my lane without looking. It was going to be bad deal either way. Too much brake and the person behind may have gotten me. Too much wrist and the rear end wanted to kick out. The TC didn't inhibit me enough to keep me from getting out of the trucks way.

Like the TC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts