GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last year or two I've been keeping an eye out for a nice Spyder RT. I know one of these days I'm gonna need three wheels and I believe that is the direction I want to go.
On the way back from work today, about an hour from home, I passed by a powersports store (they sell multiple brands, with Honda being one of them) and saw a bright, shiny Spyder. I stopped and saw it was a 2012 RT-S, and they had very recently traded for it.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

The salesman said they just got done putting new tires on it (all 3) and changing all the fluids (again, according to the salesman) before putting it on the sales floor. It didn't have too many miles on it and the asking price was $13,900, so I wanted to see what kind of trade-in they would give me on my '03. Now, before I go any further, let me say that I know that my '03 Goldwing is not actually MADE of gold, but I have never traded anything in on another vehicle, so I had no idea what to expect other than "dealers buy low so they can make money" and I'm fine with that, unless it's a ridiculous number... I drove home, got my bike and headed back. They took the bike to check it out and returned it shortly. The salesman proceeded to tell me the trade-in number they're looking at is $3500. Now, I wasn't expecting anything close to an even trade, but with values of everything going up recently I was expecting a little more than that. The only thing they found even close to being bad on the bike was the front brake pads. My bike isn't flawless, it's got a couple of scratches and it's own share of bugs, but overall, I think it's a solid 7-8 out of 10. The salesman then tells me that the lower offer was because it has over 100,000 miles on it (109,000) and that consumers are scared away when they see mileage like that.
So my questions are based on my experience today... do you think their offer was a decent one? Does mid to high mileage affect trade-in value THAT much? I know dealers want the best so they can get the most money in return, but in a market that currently is supposed to favor the consumer, should I have gotten a little higher number? And don't forget this is a "powersports" store. A lot of off-road vehicles, a few on road bikes.
FYI, they had ONE new, blue Goldwing... $30,000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the last year or two I've been keeping an eye out for a nice Spyder RT. I know one of these days I'm gonna need three wheels and I believe that is the direction I want to go.
On the way back from work today, about an hour from home, I passed by a powersports store (they sell multiple brands, with Honda being one of them) and saw a bright, shiny Spyder. I stopped and saw it was a 2012 RT-S, and they had very recently traded for it. View attachment 401151
The salesman said they just got done putting new tires on it (all 3) and changing all the fluids (again, according to the salesman) before putting it on the sales floor. It didn't have too many miles on it and the asking price was $13,900, so I wanted to see what kind of trade-in they would give me on my '03. Now, before I go any further, let me say that I know that my '03 Goldwing is not actually MADE of gold, but I have never traded anything in on another vehicle, so I had no idea what to expect other than "dealers buy low so they can make money" and I'm fine with that, unless it's a ridiculous number... I drove home, got my bike and headed back. They took the bike to check it out and returned it shortly. The salesman proceeded to tell me the trade-in number they're looking at is $3500. Now, I wasn't expecting anything close to an even trade, but with values of everything going up recently I was expecting a little more than that. The only thing they found even close to being bad on the bike was the front brake pads. My bike isn't flawless, it's got a couple of scratches and it's own share of bugs, but overall, I think it's a solid 7-8 out of 10. The salesman then tells me that the lower offer was because it has over 100,000 miles on it (109,000) and that consumers are scared away when they see mileage like that.
So my questions are based on my experience today... do you think their offer was a decent one? Does mid to high mileage affect trade-in value THAT much? I know dealers want the best so they can get the most money in return, but in a market that currently is supposed to favor the consumer, should I have gotten a little higher number? And don't forget this is a "powersports" store. A lot of off-road vehicles, a few on road bikes.
Put it on CycleTrader. By the way, after having a Wing, I don’t believe you’ll care for that 3 cyl engine. I thought the same until I started it it and felt the vibration. I then proceeded to buy a used 2018 blue Wing. Love it like crazy… much different ro ride than my 2012 (which I sold on CycleTrader)

·
Super Moderator
9,294 Posts
I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it's a 2 decade old bike. Trade-in is lower than what they'd sell it for or what you would. I think they'd list it for $5,500, give or take. I think that's around what you would ask for it. So, yeah, it's a bit lowball but not much.

·
Super Moderator
9,294 Posts
Someday, I might need a trike. I definitely don't want a Spyder. This is the direction I'd go - you can still lean in to it.

Goldwing lazareth site - YouTube

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you were looking at a 19 year old bike with 109,000 miles on it what would you be willing to pay? You could probably nudge them up another $500 or so but they do have to sell it and try to make some money. They are at least looking at a new set of tires and like you say it has some "character" here and there. Also figure the difference in sales tax on the trade in versus tax on the entire Spyder. I have always thought I could sell privately for more than enough to offset sales tax difference. Sell your and walk in there with $10 grand for an offer and see how it goes. I'm thinking they are a little high on the Spyder but I also am not up on that market.

Good luck with however it turns out.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The dealer is about right…. My local dealers laugh at people trying to trade in Goldwings with that kind of mileage. They are likely to auction it off…. They don’t want that thing on their floor….

I don’t think a dealer will handle a bike without being guaranteed to make about $3k. They have overhead and bills too.

BTW…. That spyder has the old 900cc 2 cylinder engine it. Not desirable in todays market.

·
Registered
713 Posts
On the way back from work today, about an hour from home, I passed by a powersports store (they sell multiple brands, with Honda being one of them) and saw a bright, shiny Spyder. I stopped and saw it was a 2012 RT-S, and they had very recently traded for it. View attachment 401151
Before you think seriously of trading in your Goldwing have a test ride on a Spyder. I tried one and they are definitely not for me. There was nothing I liked about it and after 10 minutes I could not wait to take it back. I did not like the engine, the transmission or the steering. I felt the Spyder was in control of me and not the other way round. If the Goldwing is becoming a handful try something smaller ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. As I stated, I've never traded anything in before so I didn't really know what to expect. I know my bike's age, I know it's condition...what I didn't know was if they offered me a fair price. Zee Fifty has it right. The offer they gave me was actually from an auction place, and the bike would have never seen the showroom of the store I was in.
I know they need to make money, I've worked on that side of a counter and understand how things work. Businesses need to make money or they shut down. I just wanted the forums opinion on whether or not their offer was a decent one.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have found that the dealers have two motivations with a trade in. One is to sell it outright. The other is to send it off to auction. It all depends on what the dealer intends to do.
When in 2018 I traded my 2005, non ABS Wing with 130,000 miles... to buy a New 2016 level 4 Goldwing, Honda was clearing out their warehouses and introducing the 2018 models.
The New, zero mile 2016 I bought was marked down $10,000 off MSRP. On top of that they gave me $6500 in trade. I also was able to keep most of the accessories from my 05 that fit on the 2016. This alone saved me a couple thousand, as opposed to my buying the New 2018 that nothing would swap over.
The dealer sent my 2005 off to auction. Now 4 years later I have no idea where it wound up.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I recently bought a 2017 Spyder traveled 18,000k or about 12,000 miles. I bought the later one with the 1330 on advice from several sources. It was about 1/2 price of a new one. Out here the new Wings and Spyders are priced about the same. Not sure the Spyder is a keeper yet as I have only had it a short time. The wife says she is happy with it as a pillion. They are quite different to ride. I would try riding a Spyder to see if you like the ride. Rider input when cornering is much more than on 2 wheels for instance. I still have my Wing and the Spyder is a bit of an extended trial I guess. Who knows, I may decide to trike out my 09 Wing. No real advice here but more shareing of some musings I guess.

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,612 Posts
Dealers do one of two things with a trade: sell it on their showroom floor or sell it at auction. On a high mileage, 20 year old bike, you can bet it's going to auction. Dealers have access to auction information and/or wholesale pricing info and that is what they base their trade value on. You can try selling it privately, but I would take the $3500 and run. YOU may think your bike is worth more, but the true value is what others will pay. Craigslist is full of guys who think their stuff is worth it's weight in gold, but somehow I see the same goods week after week. I offered a guy $10K for a bike he was asking $11K for (bike is $11.5K new)......a month later it is still for sale.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
My opinion: If you really liked that spyder, than go ahead and trade in your wing with them (cause if you wait and try to sell your bike on your own (that could take days ,weeks, or even months to sell), someone will walk in and buy that sypder, and now you have nothing (you know that dealership will not wait for you to sell your old bike) ..........OR do what I did and trike out your wing, and you'd be on three wheels...

Ronnie
5/11/22

Reactions: Hillbillyrider68
1 - 20 of 29 Posts