GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,328 Posts
Before you think seriously of trading in your Goldwing have a test ride on a Spyder. I tried one and they are definitely not for me. There was nothing I liked about it and after 10 minutes I could not wait to take it back. I did not like the engine, the transmission or the steering. I felt the Spyder was in control of me and not the other way round. If the Goldwing is becoming a handful try something smaller ?
Well said and exactly how I felt after a demo ride on that era Spider down at Daytona Bike Week..plus too much vibration and underpowered

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You don't want the RT of that era. It has a smaller engine, poor cooling, and a 5 speed transmission. Look for a newer model with the 1330 engine, 6 speed transmission, and vastly improved cooling.

Youll be glad you did.
Agree. They also have available a semi-auto tranny. I just acquired a 2015 RT-S. I think it will keep these old tired bones on the road for a while longer.

·
Registered
2018 GLB 6M
94 Posts
I saw a video online about how dealers do their pricing and they agreed that the "trade-in" value is not always in your favor. Here is the order, arranged from highest to lowest for the customer, I saw online.

1. Retail
2. Wholesale
3. Auction
4. Trade in

I don't have the answer for the deal and offer you received. But, I feel two things need to happen to make the this deal work for you. Really liking the Spyder and accepting the offer on your bike. If neither is good, then this deal won't work.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Buy a newer wing & trike it
😆
Agree, but I'm biased.

I thought about the Spyder and test drove one many years ago then again last summer....not super impressed.
I'd miss the big flat-6 engine way to much......

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Put it on CycleTrader. By the way, after having a Wing, I don’t believe you’ll care for that 3 cyl engine. I thought the same until I started it it and felt the vibration. I then proceeded to buy a used 2018 blue Wing. Love it like crazy… much different ro ride than my 2012 (which I sold on CycleTrader)
A 2012 Spyder is a 990cc 2 cylinder. The 3 cylinder 1330 Spyder engine came out in 2014 or 2015.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I'm not a Spyder expert but spent an hour or so talking g with a group of Spyder riders that absolutely loved theirs. A couple had close to 100k miles on them but they all said the new ones are much better than the older ones.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the last year or two I've been keeping an eye out for a nice Spyder RT. I know one of these days I'm gonna need three wheels and I believe that is the direction I want to go.
On the way back from work today, about an hour from home, I passed by a powersports store (they sell multiple brands, with Honda being one of them) and saw a bright, shiny Spyder. I stopped and saw it was a 2012 RT-S, and they had very recently traded for it. View attachment 401151
The salesman said they just got done putting new tires on it (all 3) and changing all the fluids (again, according to the salesman) before putting it on the sales floor. It didn't have too many miles on it and the asking price was $13,900, so I wanted to see what kind of trade-in they would give me on my '03. Now, before I go any further, let me say that I know that my '03 Goldwing is not actually MADE of gold, but I have never traded anything in on another vehicle, so I had no idea what to expect other than "dealers buy low so they can make money" and I'm fine with that, unless it's a ridiculous number... I drove home, got my bike and headed back. They took the bike to check it out and returned it shortly. The salesman proceeded to tell me the trade-in number they're looking at is $3500. Now, I wasn't expecting anything close to an even trade, but with values of everything going up recently I was expecting a little more than that. The only thing they found even close to being bad on the bike was the front brake pads. My bike isn't flawless, it's got a couple of scratches and it's own share of bugs, but overall, I think it's a solid 7-8 out of 10. The salesman then tells me that the lower offer was because it has over 100,000 miles on it (109,000) and that consumers are scared away when they see mileage like that.
So my questions are based on my experience today... do you think their offer was a decent one? Does mid to high mileage affect trade-in value THAT much? I know dealers want the best so they can get the most money in return, but in a market that currently is supposed to favor the consumer, should I have gotten a little higher number? And don't forget this is a "powersports" store. A lot of off-road vehicles, a few on road bikes.
FYI, they had ONE new, blue Goldwing... $30,000.
I owned exactly the same RT when I could no longer handle 2 wheels, particularly with my wife on board. We’ve been riding for 55 years! The RT is a nice ride but, for me, it’s not a motorcycle. I now have a 2009 Hanagan Wing trike. Best thing I ever did. Try it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts