GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thought and research I decided on the Goldwing. Spent 2 hrs on the bike today and want to give first impressions from a Harley and just about everything else rider.

I read posts saying the bike is smooth - does that mean it lacks character? No, it is just very different than the HD. You don’t have the rumble but the torque is there, particularly in sport mode.

Wind- With the screen down you get nice clean air at low speed and you can raise it up at hwy speed to be well protected. You will get more wind noise than the HD but none of the annoying buffeting with a full face helmet.

Power- one thing that I was worried about was the power. In normal street riding it has plenty of power even for a sport bike guy. However it doesn’t have that exciting burst getting on the highway that many sport bikes offer. It is certainly faster than the HD but not as impressive as I hoped up top.

Handling- very similar low COG feel of the HD. confidence inspiring. Hit some nice curves and it was great fun in sport mode. On the hwy it is the magic carpet ride for sure. It is very happy at 90 mph.

Weight- no problem because of low COG. Nothing like the k1600 that is so top heavy that lifting off the kickstand is a chore.

The bad:
Radio really sucks compared to the HD. Can’t hear it above 50 mph and you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the presets. The salesman had no clue about the bike in general or the radio. The antenna is worthless, doesn’t pick up any local stations properly that I listen to regularly on the HD.

The storage capacity- I though you Goldwing guys were exaggerating about the lack of storage with the new model. I don’t have the top case but I literally couldn’t fit both sneakers and a riding jacket on one side. Far less storage than the side bags on the street glide.

Jury out-
Seat was comfortable for a while until it wasn’t anymore. It may break in or I may have to make a change here. Would like to move back and down an inch like I did with a new HD seat, I’m 6’1”.

It doesn’t seem to be intuitive with the controls in general but will give it time to figure things out.

Other nice things:
No engine heat
Great gearbox I have the manual
Strong breaks.
Engine not buzzy as some posters noted

Overall I’m very happy with the bike and it it really is a great looking machine. Hope this helps someone in their decision making process.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Other nice things:
No engine heat
Strong breaks.

Overall I’m very happy with the bike and it it really is a great looking machine. Hope this helps someone in their decision making process.

On the Gold Wing they are brakes..... :)

Hope the seat gets more comfortable for you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side. Harleys are a great status symbol, and gorgeous bikes....but once you get off one of those rolling rumble strips, you'll never go back.

I agree - the radio/reception is horrid - the upgraded amp/speakers make a difference in ability to hear it at highway speeds - a BIG difference...but the reception doesn't improve, and is it worth another grand - especially when it takes up another third of the left bag...jury is still out.

I still hate the lack of storage compared to my '08 I traded in...but...the bike is sweet otherwise.

·
Registered
678 Posts
On the Gold Wing they are brakes..... :)

Hope the seat gets more comfortable for you.
I wonder if he mean't "sudden" roll-ons ??:laugh:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Never understood purchasing a new Harley and having to upgrade the engine, their engines suck.
I agree. I occasionally ride with a Road Glide guy. Last year I was on a ride with him and he asked me if I was going to upgrade the engine with Honda's version of a Stage II kit. This guy knows nothing about MC brands other than HD. So the question didn't surprise me. I told him Honda doesn't have engine upgrade kits. The engine is fantastic out of the box. :laugh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have ridden my brother's Ultra Glide Screamin' Eagle and understand your comparisons. I traded up three weeks ago from a ST1300A and really like the Goldwing Tour. It has none of the shaking that the ST had when passing big trucks or being passed. Once again I don't fear dump trucks on the Interstate :) . It feels like a revamped Valkyrie which I had for a long time before 12 years with the ST.
But the reason I commented was that I too hate the AM radio. All static and several people have posted about trying different antennas to no avail. I hope this gets sorted out.
I bought my 2108 used and it came with the power amp so that does well at higher speeds. The seat does need work for sure. I had the ST seat modified by Spencer in Stuart Florida but he does not do Goldwing seats :-( Might check with Hartco...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome DDuck. A benefit I think you'll see in the future..... comparing the maintenance costs on my 2018 Gold Wing Tour with those of a friend of mine who bought a Harley earlier this year, the Gold Wing's ongoing costs are significantly less than the Harley.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@Dduck Welcome to the world of the Honda GW! You will get adjusted to the GW in no time, as for seats everybody should give the OEM a few hundred miles to see if your posterior adjust. If not you may have to go the custom route. I tried WingSoft but it was not working for me. I decided on Mustang as I had one on my 2012 GL1832 and loved it. Some hate it. It can get expensive trying to get that custom fit to your posterior that brings comfort. Anyway, enjoy your new GW! Miles n Smiles are ahead of you!

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
792 Posts
:congrats: AND welcome to the smoother, quieter world of the Goldwing. You can solve your audio problems by listening to music via Bluetooth and a Cardo+JBL headset.
Many SMILES of riding to you! :grin2:

·
Registered
615 Posts
A lot of us here have gone from Harleys to Wings in the past year or so, welcome to the club!

The storage space and the GPS are the two things I miss from my Road Glide, in every other way my Wing is far superior. The radio reception was bad but I installed a new antennae wire in the top of the tour pak seat and now its much better.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought my 2018 Wing with 428 miles on it because someone traded it in on a Harley. Guess folks go both ways. I can't imagine how much that guy paid per mile to decide he wanted the Harley instead.

·
Registered
792 Posts
A lot of us here have gone from Harleys to Wings in the past year or so, welcome to the club!

The storage space and the GPS are the two things I miss from my Road Glide, in every other way my Wing is far superior. The radio reception was bad but I installed a new antennae wire in the top of the tour pak seat and now its much better.
Mengy what type of wire did you install?

Yea, what kind of "wire" did you install to improve your radio reception?

·
Registered
38 Posts
After a lot of thought and research I decided on the Goldwing. Spent 2 hrs on the bike today and want to give first impressions from a Harley and just about everything else rider.

I read posts saying the bike is smooth - does that mean it lacks character? No, it is just very different than the HD. You don’t have the rumble but the torque is there, particularly in sport mode.

Wind- With the screen down you get nice clean air at low speed and you can raise it up at hwy speed to be well protected. You will get more wind noise than the HD but none of the annoying buffeting with a full face helmet.

Power- one thing that I was worried about was the power. In normal street riding it has plenty of power even for a sport bike guy. However it doesn’t have that exciting burst getting on the highway that many sport bikes offer. It is certainly faster than the HD but not as impressive as I hoped up top.

Handling- very similar low COG feel of the HD. confidence inspiring. Hit some nice curves and it was great fun in sport mode. On the hwy it is the magic carpet ride for sure. It is very happy at 90 mph.

Weight- no problem because of low COG. Nothing like the k1600 that is so top heavy that lifting off the kickstand is a chore.

The bad:
Radio really sucks compared to the HD. Can’t hear it above 50 mph and you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the presets. The salesman had no clue about the bike in general or the radio. The antenna is worthless, doesn’t pick up any local stations properly that I listen to regularly on the HD.

The storage capacity- I though you Goldwing guys were exaggerating about the lack of storage with the new model. I don’t have the top case but I literally couldn’t fit both sneakers and a riding jacket on one side. Far less storage than the side bags on the street glide.

Jury out-
Seat was comfortable for a while until it wasn’t anymore. It may break in or I may have to make a change here. Would like to move back and down an inch like I did with a new HD seat, I’m 6’1”.

It doesn’t seem to be intuitive with the controls in general but will give it time to figure things out.

Other nice things:
No engine heat
Strong breaks.

I traded my 2018 CVO Road Glide in on the Wing. I had a cam headers and tuner. My Harley had 112hp at the rear with 131 lbs of torque. The 117 was a monster. When they talk about how much torque the wing has its actually pretty funny however I don't miss that bike one bit. The wing does everything better and I mean everything

·
Registered
46 Posts
I mentioned it in a similar post or two, but I sold my 2017 Ultra Limited in April and bought the Wing in September. Not looking back after years of HD touring bikes. Still have my Low Rider, and will continue to own Harley's as long as I'm riding, but will not go back to an HD touring machine. There's simply no comparison between the two.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yea, what kind of "wire" did you install to improve your radio reception?
Saw how to do it in a thread here last year. Bought these two things from Amazon for a total of like $15:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FT21P92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8SQNG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Fakra aerial adaptor plugs right into the Canbus under the seat on the Wing. Took the seat off, unplugged the stock antenna and tied the wire from it to a frame member out of the way. Plugged in the Fakra adaptor, and then plugged the marine antenna into that. Ran the antenna lead up behind the rear seat back and up inside the top of it. I also have a length of it outside and along the back edge of the seat cushion where it sits on top of the trunk lid so it's exposed and outside of the seat/plastic. The whole process took me like half an hour to do.

The radio gets much better reception now, it might be as good as my Road Glide got with it's whip antenna. Huge improvement over stock for certain. The service manual shows the stock antenna is tucked inside the top of the right saddlebag, down low and under a lot of plastic. No wonder the stock reception blows!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thx for the feedback. Lots to learn about this bike.

Too bad about spencer. He did wonders with my fz1 seat.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts