GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I went to the HD dealer last week-end and test drove the Electra Glide Classic. I have to admit that I fell in love. It's a sickness you see, I just have to have all types of motorcycles and enjoy each and everyone of them for what they have to offer.

Nothing against the GW, it's been a wonderful bike (other than that dam break squeal). I'm sure I'll still frequent the board now and then. I've had more laughs from reading this board, my wife laughs at me while I laugh at the posts. There's a great bunch of people here and I wish you many long years of happy trails.

For those who care, here's my opinion of the HD that I bought. The turn radius and ease of slow speed maneuvers are the extremely tight and easy. I was amazed at how well the bike handled in cross winds, barely affected me at all. I'm sure that will change some when my wife rides with me. I'm not able to report to much on maximum acceleration yet because I'm in my break-in period. The stereo is awesome. It has an AM/FM/CD/WB/MP3 player that sounds absolutely in creditable, I was amazed again. You can actually adjust the bass and treble while in motion. The quality of the ride is completely different than the GW and I wouldn't feel right trying to compare. The HD does vibrate, but not so much that it's uncomfortable. When you begin to ride most of the vibration subsides but you still have an awareness of the V-Twin. I bought mine at Gator Harley Davidson in Leesburg, in addition to the bike I purchased the extended service plan and tire and wheel replacement plan. It was a little expensive but well worth in my opinion, 1800 bucks for seven years, unlimited mileage. Considering I've pulled 5 nails from my GW in the past couple of years I figured that would pay for itself.

Also for what's it worth, no one bashed the GW at all while I was there. Most seem to have a deep respect for it's speed and reliability. My honest opinion it you should try to own both. If I could afford it, I would have kept it but my pockets aren't deep. I wish everyone here many long years of happy trails regardless of what you ride. BTW, I'm already receiving less waves ... I thought that was funny. It won't stop me from waving back though.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Trader

Ut Ohhhhh , Don't they shoot traders around here :lol: It's not what you Ride , It's that you Ride , that matters ,, best of Luck with it , Ben

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,772 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Good for you. Ride what you enjoy and enjoy what you ride.

I, too, wish I could afford both. And a FJR ... and a Boss Hoss ... and a whole bevy of other bikes.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Ben, are look'in to get flamed on or what,LOL. You sound like you have a real good outlook there ya traitor, just kidd'in. :p Choices, choices everybodies got 'em, I think you made the wrong one but hey, it's yours to make. Anyway I hope you do really enjoy that new Glide after the initial "puppy love" stage has subsided. Wish you the best. T. 8)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Have fun, nothing like a new toy. So many bikes, so little time (and money).

Ride safe and ride often and keep waving. :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey, great to see you got a ride that puts the smile on yur face. I've had over 40 different motorcycle, in my life and each was a "hoot" when I had them. Just my opion but I like the GW the best, your free to disagree with your wallet. Enjoy the Ride and I'll wave if I see ya!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have fun Ben. I ride in a 'mixed group' and some of my best friend ride HDs.
As you know, the attitude comes with the rider not the bike.

One thing however if anyone knows.
When someone is buying an HD it is said he is "moving to the dark side..."
Any reason why? I've seen HDs in bright shiny colors. Nothing drak about them I could find... :lol:

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
Congrats ride what makes you happy. I don't think it would float my boat after reading some of the Ultra owners posted on another website and here. Here are a few of their comments. Enjoy your bike!
Here's what a few '07 Ultra owners had to say about their brand new steeds:

"The only thing it realy lacks is some power for high speed passing so I am planning on adding a 110 CI kit soon. Issues are some tranny noise which is drowned out by the 80 watt stereo and engine heat during stop and go traffic. "

"This is my first Harley and I admit I had to get used to the engine racket but I also must admit I now enjoy the clatter, yes you hear 5th and 6th gear, yes it is hot when you stop and have to wait for a light to change, but the bike is a Harley!!!
If you wish to become a member of the Harley family and don't mind the rest of the gang quipping about your Geezer Glide or where did you get the lawnmower (sound)this bike is for you."

"After owning 38 new Harley's and having sold over 500 used Harleys here at the shop, I have got to tell all, this 07 Ultra is the biggest fraud any bike manufacturer has ever put over on the public. They act like there is nothing wrong with this thing. Well, I am here to tell you this; after about 10 miles of riding you can hear this thing rattling above the stock exhaust. The engine rattles so bad it is scary. It has no power and feels like it is running on 1 and a half cylinders. The rear cylinder is so hot that you can see it glow in the dark. I don't think my wife would ever get back on this piece of hot molten steel. She has been burned twice by the heat from this thing!
My review, in short, for the present time is to go buy a Goldwing or BMW."

"BEEN RIDING HARLEYS FOR 40 YEARS. THIS IS THE FIRST BIKE THAT I'VE BEEN UNCOMFORTABLE ON BECAUSE OF THE EXTREME HEAT FROM THE PIPES. IT COOKS MY BUTT & LEGS. THE PIPES RUN OVER 500 DEGREES & TURN RED HOT [THEY GLOW IN THE DARK]. IT'S BEEN BACK TO THE DEALER BUT THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING BECAUSE IT'S RUNNING TO SPEC. MY FEAR IS, WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE'S A FUEL SPILL OR LEAK?"

"After owning 42 Harleys, I was glad to see the 07 Ultra come with a 6 speed tranny. I purchased one with a 7 year extended warranty. WOW, what a huge mistake!
This transmission is total crap. This is the single biggest problem that this bike has. Don't let them get by with it!
Cancel your extended warranty immediately and get a refund while you can. You're going to need all the money you can! Save for the depreciation you will experience when you trade up for an 08 model."

"First off, I like this bike, but -Picked the bike up in August in Florida and have rode Harleys before, but could hardly stand the heat the first day I took it out. If I had to wait any longer in city traffic, not sure I could make it - motor and heat was just too much. Temp gage is worthless and yes, the motor and transmission is noisy in fifth gear. My back gets sore after just 50 miles, not sure if it is the seat or riding position. Like everyone else, very concerned about the heat from the engine, engine life and also lack of comfort - hate to think I will have to park this bike most of the summer."

"My wife has already burnt her boot without touching pipes! Hope HD addresses this issue soon."

"Anything over 80'F ambient makes this thing blast out the heat. I don't have any oil temp guage yet, but it makes me wonder how much hotter this thing is running. "

"The engine radiates a level of heat that is unacceptable. Even at 50mph, you can feel the heat radiating from the seat and up around the legs.The constant heat is very distracting, uncomfortable and unsafe. The "jackhammer" noise in 5th gear is rather annoying, a sound that is inconsistant with a Harley. "

"Agree with review on hot seat, I just try to avoid puting left leg down sometimes. But related to that I heard the back pipes can discolor, due to heat and something about regulations and the oxygen senser. "

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Enjoy your'e new ride! :)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Enjoy your new bike... i looked at the 07 Harleys myself... and I think my next bike will be an Ultra... guess its time for me to change brands...

cosmic

·
Registered
373 Posts
laen said:
Save for the depreciation you will experience when you trade up for an 08 model."
Now this guy's an optimist!
There seems to be a common concern - heat - in both new and long-time Harley owners / riders.
I've never owned a Harley, tho I have worked on a few. I think they're very attractive looking bikes, and I love the way they sound, but I just value my time and $$ too much to invest in one.
To each his own. I hope you enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, there goes the neighborhood!! :lol:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Glad to hear it. Now someone will be thrilled to find a nice used GL1800.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$1800.00 FOR AN EXTENDED WARENTEE????
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ONLY FROM HARLEY. KINDA TELLS YOU SOMETHING.
EXTENDED WARENTEE, INCLUDING TOWING, ANTI THEFT BUMPER TO BUMPER SERVICE AND ROAD HAZZARD FOR A GOLD WING, WITH FOUR EXTRA YEARS FOR UNDER $700.00 SEEMS A LOT BETTER THAN HD's RIP OFF.
BET YOU DIDN'T PAY MFG's SUGGESTED MSRP EITHER. Y0U COULD HAVE GONE TO ROSMEIERS MONUMENT TO HIS EGO STORE AND PROBALY HAVE GOTTEN ONE FOR A COUPLE OF THOUSAND MORE!!! :p :p

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Enjoy the new scoot! I know you will.... 8)

At least the Harley has a pleasing personality, unlike some of the prudes on this board! :roll:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ben,
Enjoy your new ride. There's alot of board members that have ridden both and can relate to the differences of the two. Always remember its your money and choice and nothing from us counts, so again enjoy the new ride.

Stay in touch.

Dennis

·
Registered
255 Posts
Enjoy your new ride :!:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Enjoy the new ride! :D Wish I had deep enough pockets to have both. The last HD I had was a Sportster, before they had battery start. Loved it but hated the maintenance. I know a lot of HD owners that love them and I ride with them on a regular basis. I like the look, the sound (if they left the stock exhaust alone) and they seem to perform well in traffic and on the road. I have not heard any of them complain about the heat, and I have noticed some heat from my GW in hot weather.
Ride 'em if ya got' em!! :D
IB-03

1 - 20 of 66 Posts