GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I presently own a Candy Red '03 Goldwing with 26,000 miles on the OD.
The fog lights, heated gripes, and rear speakers were added when new from the dealer.
I added 8-10 pieces of chrome. Tires are E-3's with 8,000 miles on.
All maintenance records up to date and always stored inside and never ridden in the rain.
All recalls: Frame weld, ECM, truck latch, brake caliber completed with a new battery.
Everything else is stock and everything works.

If I would trade up to a Dark Red 2007 air bag model, GPS, heated seat etc. with dealer installing another set of fog lights
what would be a fair trade out the door price plus tax?

I got a price in mind how much I'll pay to trade, but I just would like to get idea on what you think is a fair deal before I'm
laughed out the door by my Honda Goldwing dealership.

I realize the smart way to go is sell my '03 outright.

Ok......now what's your $$$$ guess on trading from a dealer?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I did almost the exact thing, but my 03 had 75K + on the clock, and no bag on the 07. If mine had only 26K on it, I wouldn't have bothered.

To answer your question though, I'd say you're in the 10 - 11 grand area, with yours for the 07 bagger.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Mike,
The trade in amount will be dependent on the selling price of the new one.
If the dealer starts at Retail, you should expect to get a couple of thousand
more for your trade than if he starts at prices like Hal and some of the volume dealers sell em for.
So, check with and any others you want and figure the "actual buying price you should have to pay for the new 07.
Then get your dealer's best deal with no trade in and the amount he is willing to give you trade on the 03 against that price.
Then you may be able to add a bunch to that trade in amount, quickly sell the bike privately
(still at far less than the going prices) and use that money towards the new 07.
Dealer gets his price on the new sale.
Your buyer gets a better used price than from the dealer.
You have more money to pay for the new one than the trade in would have gotten you.
One small consideration.... If the numbers get close....
Remember that you will pay sales tax on the purchase price.
If you get trade in of $10,000....that's $600-700 in sales tax you won't have to pay.
If you're not selling it for more than that 6-7 over the trade in value,
You might as well trade it in. :)
DC

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dream Catcher,
Remember that you will pay sales tax on the purchase price.
If you get trade in of $10,000....that's $600-700 in sales tax you won't have to pay.
I guess it varies from state to state, but California requires the sales tax to be added before the trade-in is deducted -- that is, on the full sales price before trade...!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Traded 02 with 18,000 on the OD. Blue book was $9,000 the dealer gave me $10,000 and then beat the lowest price I found on an 07 airbag by $300.

$24,349 MLP got $20,600
- $10,000
total= $10,600

Couldn't pass it up, all remaining balance paided off and arriving 2/15/07

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
MNcruiser said:
Wi_Winger, any idea what you'd like to get straight out for your 03?
Nope, but I'll be checking this out if I sell it myself.

BTW...... would my extended warrenty be a selling point on my '03

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The extended warranty would DEFINITELY be a selling point with a private sell.

The new owner would be able to get at least the opportunity of having a factory warranty on a used bike.

Now I don't know if the dealer would be able to make the same offer to a traded in bike used sale.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have "heated gripes" sitting on the back seat of my GL1800.

I'm wondering how anyone could have a GL1800 that was "never ridden in the rain". I normally ride when it's not raining but if rain starts, I keep riding. I suppose I could leave it home when there's any chance of showers but I don't want to drive anything but my Goldwing.

It sounds like Tom T. got a pretty good deal trading his '02.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
blinkin357 said:

I'm wondering how anyone could have a GL1800 that was "never ridden in the rain". I normally ride when it's not raining but if rain starts, I keep riding. I suppose I could leave it home when there's any chance of showers but I don't want to drive anything but my Goldwing.
You got to remember I don't live in a swamp like Florida were it rains everyday for 5 minutes.

I just don't enjoy riding in the rain. If there's 40-50 % chance of rain on my days off, I'll ride but not far.
Never believed in soaking a $20,000 bike in water, a boat maybe.... but not a Goldwing.
Now for you cross country riders, yes riding in rain is just part of the trip, and something to endure.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Since somebody else brought up the subject: is there something written somewhere that says a motorcycle is better if it has not been ridden in the rain? Not sure I understand why that might be.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
jimwinger said:
Since somebody else brought up the subject: is there something written somewhere that says a motorcycle is better if it has not been ridden in the rain? Not sure I understand why that might be.
Never said it was better, read again "I just don't enjoy riding in the rain."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts