GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that traded up to a '06 or '07 GL1800 from a '01, '02, or newer, what was the reason you made the change?

Are you happy with your choice?

I'm asking because there is little to minor change since the first GL1800 was introduced back in 2001, and wandered what your reason is.

Better sound system?
Sick of your present color?
Made such a deal, you couldn't pass it up?
Felt you had to many miles on the old one?
Wanted the airbag or ABS?
Your making to much money?

What was the best reason, maybe I can use it on my better half.....LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an '01, non-abs.... and every year I've been offered test rides on a "new" GL1800 (I find it near impossible to decline an offer of a "test ride") and every year I've taken advantage of the opportunities to really see if anything is "new and improved"... or at least sufficiently so that I would "trade-up"... And bear in mind that some of the proposed deals have been pretty "sweet"...

Y'know what..? I'm still riding my '01. With the extended warranty I bought (from Hal, BTW) I'm covered until '09... maybe then I'll bite the bullet... Who knows? :wink:

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
1 The comfort package
2 Better radio
3 And now the nav

PS It sure feels good to be able to ride in cold weather and stay warmmmm

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'll take a stab at your slew of questions. First off, my bike was an 03, and a reweld at that. I was Never too thrilled about that fact. It also had a little over 75K on the ticker, and I wondered where's the point of worthlessness on these bikes?

The move cost me under nine grand, from an 03 non ABS, to an 07 ABS. Not many differences you say? Start out with vented windshield, lighted controls, bigger radiators, higher output alternator, heated seats and grips, GPS system, and ABS. Not to mention the upgraded stereo system, tail light changes, dash changes, and many more little upgrades you will notice when you start tinkering with it.

I think there's a lot of changes from the earlier ones to now. Park an older one next to an 07, and see for yourself.

Those are my reasons, and I'm stuck stickin by em. :wink:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Better sound system? Yes
Sick of your present color? No
Made such a deal, you couldn't pass it up? Yes
Felt you had to many miles on the old one? No
Wanted the airbag or ABS? Yes on both
Your making to much money? No Comment
Wanted the comfort Package Yes
Wanted the Nav. System Yes
Wanted to pi$$ someone off Absolutly :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
bike

mr.b,

I hate to be the one to tell you this.

My brother has an 06', with ABS, that looks very similar to your new one.

I have an 01', ABS, that looks very similar to your old bike, with a Garmin 2610 and satellite radio mounted on the bar.

On a recent 16,000 mile cross country trip, most of the people, that we met along the way, liked the overall look of my bike better than his, and told us so.

Those people cited the color, the tailight lenses and the look of the dash.

Of course they couldn't see the upgraded stereo system or the heated seat, both upgrades to my bike.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: bike

ytownmac said:
mr.b,

I hate to be the one to tell you this.

My brother has an 06', with ABS, that looks very similar to your new one.

I have an 01', ABS, that looks very similar to your old bike, with a Garmin 2610 and satellite radio mounted on the bar.

On a recent 16,000 mile cross country trip, most of the people, that we met along the way, liked the overall look of my bike better than his, and told us so.

Those people cited the color, the tailight lenses and the look of the dash.

Of course they couldn't see the upgraded stereo system or the heated seat, both upgrades to my bike.

Wow, great tale there!! I loved my 03 yellow, but was ready to make a move, and in case you haven't noticed, there's no 07 yellow. I could have had any color I wanted. I ordered my scoot, it wasn't sittin around waitin for me.

Now as far as your bro's bike being very similiar, sorry - No way!! He probably has a titanium one, right??? No offense, but that color is dead. No comparison at all - nadda.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The "improvements" in the newer models aren't worth the expense of trading, with the exception of the ABS and Airbag, and only then if you think they're worth the added cost of the rest of the options you have to get to get them. I thought about getting a new bike when I bought my '02 in June, but couldn't justify paying twice as much for one with zero miles. I added XM radio and a Garmin 2610, and I wouldn't trade this bike for a new one in a minute.
If something happened to this bike and I had to replace it, I'd get a pre '06 with ABS and add the XM and Garmin.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've just never had a desire to update to a newer Wing when I have finally gotten my present Wing almost to a point where I really want it. With good care these bikes will run for darn near forever so having a lot of miles on it doesn't even factor into the question.

I've spent a lot of money to get my current Wing where it is now so buying a new Wing and that cost differential although significant would be literally a drop in the bucket compared to what I have already invested. It just wouldn't work, but then I have always felt I would keep my existing Wing since it is worth far more to me than what I might get out of it with a trade or outright sale. You get next to nothing on added accessories on a resale and I have more invested there than my original cost of my Wing.

As far as the changes to date, while nice I don't see that much of an inducement as yet. Many (not all) can be duplicated far better and less costly with after-market items where I have more choice on specifications and features - i.e. GPS - heating items - etc.

Last, but not least, the bikes look so similar so until there is a major change in the styling I am quite happy with my current ride. Also the engine is the essentially the same with minor changes here and there, but my Wing has been a fantastic ride so there is no enducment to change there either.

I'll save my money and be very happy with my current ride. We will add to the stable down the road.

DaleC

P.S. It's also be paid for since I took it off the lot 4 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I probably wouldn't go to a newer model year until Mother Honda comes out with a re-designed model.
I've gotten my pretty well set up the way I want it, and it runs great, never has overheated, and you can't beat the '02 orange.
It's like an old friend that has given us many memories, and so much fun. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
bike

deucalion,

Very nice color, I really like the 02' orange, better than the new orange

·
Registered
786 Posts
Love my Yellow '02.... (upgraded sound..but use ear buds mostly anyway when not in town)

Plan selling my 2nd bike (Vulcan 1500FI) in the spring. Start stockpiling some cash for the GL2000 when it comes out (if in Yellow).

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I don't see me getting a new one for a while. This one is just fine.
Never had an over heating issue.
The rewelded frame doesn't phase me in the least.
If I wanted a vent in my windshield, I'd have one. (I do when I have the Tulsa on in the winter)
The sound system would be a nice upgrade, but isn't a deal breaker for me.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
DaleC said:
Also the engine is the essentially the same with minor changes here and there,
Dale,
can you elaborate on that? ... what are the engine differences between an 01-02 and 06-07?

I know the radiators have been enlarged.

Thanks,
Dennis
2007 red wing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just got my wing in aug. don't think i'll be trading any time soon. Mama had a fit when i got this one so an 07 not gonna happen. Maybe a 10 or 12 lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts