GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
I noticed that if you are 40 or older and ride drunk, without a helmet, In Calif. you are probably are going to die.

Pretty grim statistics to say the least.

Supprised to see that Ga. with all the sport bikes and mountains in the northern part of the state, have less fatalities than Fla., which is mostly flat country. (Probably due to the sandy roads and lack of helmet laws, combined with gawking tourist)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
What I thought was interesting was that you have a 67% chance of dying on a motorcycle if involved in an accident with a helmt compared to the 33% who would have been saved if wearing helmet and if in an accident. So if you wear a helmet you will die at a rate of 67 out of 100 if involved in an accident. Amazing what you can do with data

DanL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,673 Posts
Supprised to see that Ga. with all the sport bikes and mountains in the northern part of the state, have less fatalities than Fla., which is mostly flat country. (Probably due to the sandy roads and lack of helmet laws, combined with gawking tourist)
Use to live in Florida... sandy roads have nothing to do with it.

Lack of helmet... that's it. Personally know of several wrecks that, had they been wearing a helmet, they would had survived. They died of head trauma, rest of body was not that injured.

Was always amazed at how many young men on a sport bike were riding and ALL they had on was a pair of shorts... NOTHING else. even were barefoot. Guess that looks cool riding to the beach...

I've been to your mountains... the boys there riding their sport bikes, for the most part, have helmet and full gear on, to their credit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Very true its the helmet law down here way to many of us with out helmets. Its nice but dangerous as hell. I lost a friend 5 months ago no helmet. Plus we have to take two and half days of MSF training before you can get the endorsement. But way to many will not pay for the training ride with out it and add the drinking you got a mess. :agree:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never lived in a jurisdiction that did not require motorcycle helmets (when I lived in both MO and TX they were helmet required states) and since I have totaled a few motorcycles (4 when I was younger and more durable) and helmets kept me from being injured worse or dead; I always figured helmets make a big difference in motorcycle fatalities but the evidence is not conclusive.

(2008 data) Consider California a helmet state with 537 reported motorcycle deaths and Colorado a non-helmet state with 88 motorcycle deaths. According to the US for a ratio of about 6.1 deaths in California to 1 in Colorado.

(2008 data, Source: US Statistical Abstract) California has 741,000 registered motorcycles while Colorado has 118,000 for a ratio of 6.3 motorcycles in California for 1 motorcycle in Colorado.

The death rate in the non-helmet state of CO is 1 death for every 1341 motorcycles while California is only slightly lower at 1 death for every 1380 motorcycles.

From this admittedly anecdotal evidence it appears helmet non-use may not be highly correlated with motorcycle fatalities.

Another good place to read about safety issues and statistics is http://www.1800motorcycle.net/accident-statistics.aspx and the sources on this page are excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
What I thought was interesting was that you have a 67% chance of dying on a motorcycle if involved in an accident with a helmt compared to the 33% who would have been saved if wearing helmet and if in an accident. So if you wear a helmet you will die at a rate of 67 out of 100 if involved in an accident. Amazing what you can do with data

DanL
Your conclusion is incorrect, you were joking Im sure. I did not see where anything in the report said that if you wear a helmet you will die at a rate of 67 out of 100 if involved in an accident! Maybe you were kidding! Im sure you dont think that because someone dies in a crash with a helmet strapped on, he would have lived if he didnt have on one? It just meant that what killed him was so great a blow to the head or elsewhere that it didnt matter that he was wearing a helmet. You cant expect a helmet to magically develop an aura of safety around your entire body when you put it on. They dont work like that, if you hit another car coming at you and both of you are doing 70MPH, guess what that helmet isnt going to save your life. But if you hit a car in front of you that stopped and you are going 20 MPH, Id lots rather have my modular helmet stapped on tight with the chin guard down! Now.... I think helmet laws should not exist, I dont like the government telling me that I have to protect my life, I think each person should decide how safe they want to be, its your life to live or die.

I just reread your post and the last sentence explains it, sorry. Nevermind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
I just reread your post and the last sentence explains it, sorry. Nevermind.
I was joking but if you use their data, they stated of those who where killed in a motorcycle accident, and if they where wearing helmets, then 33 % would have been saved. If their assumption is correct, then out of the 100 wearing helmets, 67 would have died. This is not really a good way to promote wearing a helmet, which I do everytime I get on my wing. What I took from the article was if you wear a helmet and involved in an accident, you have 67% chance of dying and only 33% chance of living. I do not think you can make the calls this article makes, my numbers make as much sense as theirs.

Play it safe and wear a helmet but do not believe all you read, numbers can be presented in any way to promote your ideas,

DanL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,727 Posts
That is a great resource, unfortunately statistics will never convince someone that their right to wear a helmet is their right. At least in some states. If their son or daughter had to come to the crash sight and see what true head trauma looks like and collect the body then maybe they would change their minds.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top