GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the Anchorage paper from today. 7/24/11

Tragedy for an experienced middle aged riding couple on an ‘07 Wing trailering on the Sterling HWY. They were hit and killed by oncoming traffic. At this juncture it appears, and according to the Troopers, the oncoming traffic crossed centerline and struck the bike.

I did not know this couple but may they and their families be in your prayers.

RIP William A. Tillery, 46 and Angela R. Tillery, 45.

Original newspaper article.
http://www.adn.com/2011/07/23/1981814/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html#disqus_thread

From the comment section in the article by elizabethrh:
“Words cannot express my shock at learning that this crash took Bill and Angela. Bill and I shared many conversations about bikes and gear and you're absolutely right - he and Angela always wore their gear and took responsible motorcycling seriously. Our too-small IT community has lost a great guy :( :( Condolences to the Tillerys' family and to their co-workers. “

DO NOT OPEN THE BELLOW PHOTOS IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO CRASH PHOTOS AND FIND NO CONSTRUCTIVE TEACHING LESSONS OR PREVENTIVE SAFTEY VALUE IN THEM.

AGAIN THE LINKS BELLOW ARE OF A TRAGIC AND DISTURBING NATURE

The bike
http://www.adn.com/2011/07/23/v-gallery2/1981814/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html?/2011/07/23/v-gallery2/1981818_a1981816/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html

The vehicle
http://www.adn.com/2011/07/23/v-gallery2/1981814/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html?/2011/07/23/v-gallery2/1981818_a1981817/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html

The bike and vehicle
http://www.adn.com/2011/07/23/v-gallery2/1981814/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html?/2011/07/23/v-gallery2/1981818_a1982530/infant-among-three-killed-in-sterling.html

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it looks like a no way out but free ride to heaven sort of deal. Very tragic all around.

You got to wonder though if the air bag model (I do not know if he was or was not on an air bag model) might have taken enough off the force loads that if he got kicked up and over he might have had a chance. Very doubtful a bag would have done anything for his wife. Needless to say this is the wrong time to have this conversation but I think it is exactly one of these type of crashes and the bike t-boning a vehicle that the Wing air bag was designed for.

·
Registered
479 Posts
From the amount of damage done to that bike and the Cherokee ( I think thats what it is ) its hard to imagine anyone serviveing on the bike.
That Cherokee looks more like it hit a semi then a bike:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
That was a horrible impact. I don't think an AIRBAG or HELMET would have helped that couple survive. May they Rest in Peace

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Prayers for the family of this couple.
Anyone from this board know them?
So sad.
thecruiser

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
May our condolences and prayers somehow help this couple's family and friends.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Condolences to the family. What a sad loss!

Many years of experience sorting out these kinds of things indicate to me that even if an air bag or other restraints could have prevented physical contact somehow, the extremely sudden deceleration is more than a human body can withstand. Things come apart inside when one's forward motion is stopped this quickly. The scene appears to indicate that the vehicle crossed into their lane very quickly leaving no time to react and avoid collision. There wasn't much place to go anyway, with the guard rail in place. Hopefully, there was little if any suffering involved.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I used to live up there, and can say from experience, that in the summer time, there are a lot of accidents, similar to this one. Not necessarily involving motorcycles, though. Seems, maybe due to the long hours of daylight, a lot of alcohol involvement, and lack of sleep, there are a lot of crashed. When the salmon are in, in the rivers on the Kenai Peninsula, it's nearly bumper to bumper traffic between Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula. Fishermen are up all day and all "night," and, coupled with a lot of beer drinking, are in poor shape to make the drive back to Anchorage, but they do, anyway. The same goes for folks working on jobs there, such as the driver of the Jeep--long drive to Kenai or Soldotna, long day working, and another long drive home with lack of sleep and you have a recipe for disaster. Happens all the time up there. For all you folks headed up there on your Wings, WATCH OUT!! and be careful.

Our condolences and prayers go out to the families involved. It's always sad to hear of this happening.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
After years of working motor vehicle accidents, when looking back on an accident... I tend to concentrate on damage to the vehicle(s) to try an understand just how things bent where they did and try to apply it to my current mental toolbox.

Yes, the loss of life is tragic but before seeing these pictures, I had no idea a goldwing could end up like that. That is information that I feel will help me in the future. That is where the "data" really can make a difference for the rest of us.

I think looking at the photos is a very healthy way to remind ourselves of the inherent risks in addition to seeing just exactly what happens in certain scenarios. Example, if I know that the rear-end is going to go airborne if I hit something dead-on then I can be prepared for that. (As much as one can prepare anyway.)

I personally find crash pictures to be very informative. While the loss of life is always very difficult... if information from said crash helps to save another rider's life then all is not lost.

I am verry sad for these wing riders but it seems the crashes are becoming more common. It can happen to any of as as the GWRRA's Georgia Newly Appointed Member Enhancement Coordinators were just involved in a T-bone collision on their wing when a cage pulled out in front of them. He was being rushed to the hospital with a burst spleen, broken right arm and a few other little items while his wife did not make it when the initial report(s) were going out.

Things are getting tougher out there for those of us who ride 2 wheels. All the more reason to stay vigilant in our daily lives both on and off 'the bike'.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
We have a road near my house that had the same kind of accidents occurring all the time. The state tried alot of things with the speed limit, speed traps, nothing worked. 5 years ago they finally widened the thing to 4 lanes with a median and I don't think there's been even one head-on since then. Prayers go out for the familys of all involved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts