GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about pulling trailer this year. I have '05 Wing. I have been riding for a lot of years, never pulled a trailer behind bike. Any recommendiations?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I were to buy another trailer I would get the Aluma.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You need to decide what your basic needs and how much you want to spend. Trailers run the gammet from inexpensive kit trailers with owner added plastic shells all the way up to sleek fiberglass trailers costing thousands. There is a trailer sub-board that has tons of information as to different brands/types of trailers and how much they cost. Reading through this will give you a better background as to possibilities. Good luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I say start cheap to see if pulling a trailer is for you. My first trailer was a Harbor Freight Tag Along which I paid $303 for new. In my books it is the best bang for your buck. I pulled it several thousand miles before I got rear ended and it was totaled. After that I found a good used trailer with all the accessories for less than a thousand bucks. By then I knew I would always own a trailer

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It's okay to start with a cheap hitch and basic trailer to see if you like it. I used my AddOn hitch and PiggyBacker trailer for a weekend trip to the mountains. It worked fine, rain or shine. Hardly knew it was back there. Why spend more for something if it is going to sit there 50 weeks out of the year?

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I had a Valkyrie I bought a Harbor freight trailer and a sears car top carrier. I made several modifications to it over the three years I pulled it but never once regretted it. When I bought my wing (used) it came with a Bustec trailer. I didn't think there would be any difference but oh my was I wrong! My wife and I take it just about every time we go any where. I take it if I need a little extra room. Groceries, hardware store To the park for picnics. It, on average, gets pulled once a week. I have friends that have tried to pull a trailer and didn't care for it.
I, like others have suggested, Get an inexpensive trailer to see if you like it. I have seen little flat bed trailers that have had plastic tubs and five gallon buckets tied off being pulled, that is about as inexpensive as it gets. If you find it is ok you can go as far as your wallet will let you.

·
Administrator
4,420 Posts
Binder. If you want, I'll swap bikes with you and you can see first hand how an inexpensive trailer handles. I think you'll be pleasently surprised. I'm working on another project right now, but when that's finished..... BB

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Binder,I see this is your first post. Welcome! This post is probably going to be moved by the adm. to the "trailer board" so don't worry if it disappears. In trailers size matters,I have a 26 cu.ft. Bushtec but started with a 17cf. KompacKamp Excell which was a great trailer. Wife said we needed a bigger one and I thought she meant trailer so I switched. The Bushtec is pricey but it is a fine pulling trailer.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have had 3 trailers. I prefer independent suspension, smaller trailers, pack it lite. If you could find one a great starter trailer was built in Iowa Megneta was the name of trailer. I still own one and tow with wife trike and sometimes behind my Valkyrie. The small rounded type is the one I have. #UMBT1 CYCLE CARGO TRAILER

·
Vendor
17,379 Posts
I've pulled a few brands. I like pulling a BushTec best. The tires are larger thus making pot holes less an issue. For safty reason, get a trailer intended for m/c use, not a small trailer for a car that they sell to the m/c world. The other important factor is having a bend in the tong. The less expensive ones don't have that. For example, an Alumna. It's tong is straight and may angle upward. That means in a turn, all trailers will want to push the rear tire to the outside of a curve. Some will try and lift the rear tire off the ground when braking. That sucks !!! Whatever you get, remember these things will always be true about pulling a trailer .... less mpg, less throttle response, greater braking distance, greater sway from wind blasts, and because of all that, never forget that you are pulling one.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I have owned/pulled two trailers. My first was a Hannigan that I bought used. My second was (and is) a Bushtec that I bought in 2007. I probably have a total of 40,000 miles pulling a trailer. Both trailers are good, with a slight nod in quality going to Bushtec. The matching paint on the Bushtec made my Goldwing paint look like crap, which of course, it was. One thing I like about the Bushtec is the ice chest, we use the Hell out of that thing. We kept a Styrofoam ice chest inside the Hannigan and it would sweat all over the place. I felt like the Hannigan would hold more stuff, but we get by fine with the Bushtec. Bushtec is a bit more difficult to maneuver when backing up because of the large wheel diameter.

My advice, look for a good used trailer, you can save a bunch of $$$s.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
love my trailer, I use it only on vacation trips, but wow does it come in handy..........you'll love it............

Ronnie

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just bought a tag a long to pull on a trip to Marble Falls Texas. The extra room was great for the wife and really didn't notice it back there until trying to back it. As someone has mentioned you can learn alot on the MC trailer sub board and I wish I had followed the advice on there about practicing backing. My mpg ranged from 30mpg to 38mpg on this trip. 30 mpg was against a head wind and 38 was with a tail wind. I am glad I bought a trailer.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Check out the for sale section of this board, lots of trailers and hitches for sale. As with anything else, more money equals better quality. I've been pulling an Escapade for over a year now and rarely leave home without it.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Check out the for sale section of this board, lots of trailers and hitches for sale. As with anything else, more money equals better quality. I've been pulling an Escapade for over a year now and rarely leave home without it.
Only because you don't like bending down to unhook the lights and hitch. :twisted: :lol:

I've got the Bushtec Turbo+2, made by same company that did Cheeto's Escapade - different wheels but same basic smooth pulling trailer. As you can tell by the below picture, I've pulled it in some weather, no issues. Just remember to adjust speed and stopping distances accordingly, and swing a bit wider around corners and gas station pumps.

P4283127.jpg

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Get a hitch, isolator/relay and trailer. You will not regret it.

IMHO, when looking at cheap trailers versus higher end ones the one thing that stands out is the use of 10" wheels instead of 12".

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Welcome

Binder I just got in to the trailer pulling world last fall. I have an 04 wing and went with the Rivco aluminum hitch for two reasons. It's a main frame mounted hitch and it's lighter than the other frame mounted hitches. Lighter gives you more payload but more importantly, helps you stay away from your max vehicle payload weight. Amazon was the cheapest place to buy that I could find. I would have gone with the Bustec hitch next and I'm sure it is a fine hitch, just heavier. The down side to the Rivco is you need to cutout the reflector on the rear fender for a slot for the ball tongue to slide through. I used a Dremel tool to cut out the reflector and if I can do it, anybody can. If you are not pulling the trailer, you can remove the tongue and they supply a clip to reinstall the reflector in seconds. Then you have the stock looking rear end.

I am pulling a Mini Mate camper that has about 15 cubic feet of storage. On the other end of the spectrum I have a friend who is pulling a Tailwind trailer. That is the Rolls Royce of trailers and it has the price tag of one. But my friend REALLY seems to like it. Search Tom Finch on here as he has forgotten more about trailers and pulling them than just about anyone. And he is quick to offer advice when he has the time. (He is the Tailwind trailer guy)

Come spring if you have not pulled the trigger yet, I'll twist my buddy's arm and see if he wants to ride to the Iron Pony store and we'll meet you with our trailers at the Pony. We live south of Dayton in Springboro. Rick knows a lot more about pulling MC trailers and will offer is $1.00 worth to only my $.02 worth. I pulled large boat trailers all over the USA for 25 years fishing but I'm new to MC trailers. But more than willing to help/meet you.

http://rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=747&cat=255&page=1

·
Registered
252 Posts
You know I have to chime in. yesterday a guy said that his trailer was better looking than mine. I have a Harbor freight trailer with a car topper. He has a Escapade Elite Trailer. Mine works and does what I want it to do. If you want to look like the Jones then shop were they shop. And If you like something that works than you know what to do.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
As others have said, your MPG will be somewhat less, acceleration will be somewhat less & stopping distance will be somewhat more. Also watch going around corners so that you don't clip the curb, watch gas station islands, toll booths, and anything else you may get close to with your bike. People say you'll forget it's back there, but that's the worst thing you can do. NEVER forget it's back there.

For your electrical connection, do get the isolator. When I was on two wheels, I had a bushtec hitch and that came with the isolator. The hitch is not the place to skimp on quality. Some connect to the frame of the bike others connect to the saddle bag frame.

As far as trailers go, buy a quality trailer. Quality doesn't always mean expensive. I have a 2012 Aluma MCTXL trailer that was purchased from Thomas Bus Sales in Des Moines, IA. The total cost for the trailer and carpet kit was just under $2K. If you decide you don't like pulling a trailer, you'll have no problem selling it. If you buy crap, your trailering experience may be crap and you may be unable to sell it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts