GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Looks interesting. Let us know how it works.
Seems like it will offer some movement, but even a rigid coupler on the trailer offers about 70 degrees of of rotation. I'm not sure this offers any more advantage than that or any additional protection or safety.
Also, (and I'm trying to remember my physics), as the ball tilts to one side, it will no longer be pulling from the centerline of the bike. Will that cause the trailer to pull at an angle or put and sideways pressure on the rear of the bike? Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Loren...This thing scares the hell out of me just looking at it! There was quite an extensive thread here on the trailer board on this rig some time back and it was very interesting. Two things that I remember well from that thread was:
#1 What happens if this thing gets to swinging side to side
#2 What position will it call home

Tom Finch weighed in on those issues and as you can imagine he had some very prolific opinions about this swivel hitch from an engineers point of view...none of which were positive. I cannot remember any comments from anyone concerning this hitch that were positive come to think of it. You may try to find it in the search function and see if you can find something.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
If I remember right( and usually don't) mine was $115 from a company called BlackTie.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If I remember right( and usually don't) mine was $115 from a company called BlackTie.
The Black Tie Swivel Safe II is probably the best swivel that you can get. Although I doubt that they are avalible for $115 any more.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I really don't like the looks of that thing. It seems that you would need to tighten the hitch and then it would bind when turning.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Go spend the fifty bucks in a better place - say a Dairy Queen 400 miles away.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i also put this on the general area, by mistake

but the first reply wa svery direct and very poo poo on this item

he got one free with his trailer and it was very slopply

so not for me

my issue is i cant unhook or hook my trailer with my bike on the side stand

the ball will not allow it

it was suggested that a thinner neck ball would be much better

just so happens i have one on the shelf

i am using the ball that was supplied with my hitch, its much thicker than my other one

so i changed the ball to the thinner necked one, and it solved the hookup from the side stand issue

and best of all, its not going to cost a cent

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trailer Hitch

I've built two motorcycle trailers in the past. Last one was about 10 years ago.
On both trailers I used an old style automotive tie-rod end (one without the nylon bushing and grease zerk on top). I just welded the threaded end onto the hitch of the trailer. These tie-rod ends have a tapered shaft and a castlelated nut with cotter pin. Safe (most swivel 40-45 degrees any direction) and saves a lot on weight.
Never tipped my bike over while hitched up, don't know what would happen then. But, that would be the same for any hitch I think.
Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts