GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to why we often read on these posts that we should periodically grease the bearings on our trailers. I'm talking about the ones that we pull behind our Wings. When was the last time that our automobile's wheel bearings were re-greased? And look at the amount of mileage, weight and stress that we put on them! Aren't they the same type of bearings?
Are we waisting our time in re-greasing them? Please advise.
Thank you in advance.

Ride safely,

Mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
Most new cars have sealed bearings that don't require greasing. I haven't seen a trailer with those type bearings. I put bearing buddies on my trailer so I don’t have to tear the axles apart and now I just add grease a few times a year as it comes out past the seals. The bearing buddies keep a supply of grease pushed into the bearing at all times. The trailer bearings get very hot and the grease by them turns really thin and seems to always find a way out past the seals over time. It’s not a major seal leak it just seems to have enough so that dirt sticks and I just clean it off.

G

·
StaticJolt said:
I put bearing buddies on my trailer so I don’t have to tear the axles apart and now I just add grease a few times a year as it comes out past the seals. The bearing buddies keep a supply of grease pushed into the bearing at all times.
I am VERY leery of "bearing buddys", the reason is that there is a LOT of space around the axle, how is a greas fitting on the bearing cap going to get enough grease into the bearing, unless you put darn near 1/2 of a cartridge of grease into the thing.?

·
Registered
416 Posts
The bearing buddy is spring loaded and always pushing the grease toward and through the bearings. I know it is getting all the way through and not just sitting on the outside of the bearing between the grease fitting and the outter bearing. I have been using them almost the entire 50k I have pulled this trailer. The first few times I had to pump a lot of grease into the fitting each month since the spring load pushed the grease into open air pockets between the bearings. Now, I bearing give it a half a pump ever othe month.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
All the posts above are correct. Tires are smaller and create more heat build-up, which in turn if they don't have enough grease in them, they will burn up and freeze in place. Which means you aren't going any place.

Buddy bearings are ok but I prefer to clean my bearings with gasoline and hand repack them so that I know that I am good for at least another 3 thousand miles. Just the way that I am happy doing it.

I have never had any problems with my bearings. So I must be doing something right.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I never had a problem with a trailer bearing till I installed the bearing buddies,
first trip and both wheels bearing seals blew and lost all the grease,
and the bearings was shot.

They IMHO are not made to pack grease all the way to the back bearings, just the outside ones.

also different type greases will not mix, causeing failure,
make sure you use the wheel bearing grease,

·
Registered
927 Posts
Keep in mind that when using the bearing buddies the old dirty grease from the outer bearing will sooner or later be pushed into the inner bearing. Better to clean & hand pack the bearing on some regular schedule 3-5000 miles or once a year.
Ride Safe
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.