GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, don't flame me for rying to install electric brakes to my Aspen Classic. I'm trying to find an older post regarding trailer brake installation. I haven't had any success doing the "search thing. Someone had a post where they installed a safety switch to cut out the electric trailer brakes in case of a problem. I believe the switch was by the handle bar controls. Anyone remember who that might have been and where I can find the post? Thanks and God Bless! :?:

G

·
0 Posts
Jak,
We have an Aspen Classic with electric brakes and pulled it about 4,000 miles last year. I can tell you that I would never want to pull a camper behind a motorcycle without them. I believe I was the first to suggest some sort of cut out switch on the brakes. The reason for this is the slow speed turns especially when pulling around a gas pump at a gas station. Take your time when learning to pull your camper with the brakes. Set your brake controller at a low setting gradually working your way up. The brakes will seat in after a couple hundred miles and you will find yourself turning the controller down as that happens. I like ours set so I can just barely feel the trailer pull when I apply the brakes. I have made several hard stops and the trailer always stops straight and true. For more information on the brakes check out: http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/600_8K_C ... M_9_03.pdf

·
Registered
188 Posts
well i for one would like to say to you guy's who either have put brakes on or are trying to thank you. i have driven a tractor trailer for many years and i do know the importance of trailer brakes. i just shake my head every time i see a picture in a magazine of a bike jack knifed because of no brakes on the trailer. not that i want to see big brother step in where they need not be but sooner or later this will become an issue. i do understand the cut off switch issue also. again thanks guy's

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did tie the controller power through a relay, and plan to mount the control switch somewhere near my handgrips. I just haven't found a suitable position for the switch yet. Just as a note... I had to get my Aspen Classic because another rider ran into my Kwikkamp while I had stopped along the road. He wasn't paying attention. When he saw me, he grabbed a handful of brake and locked the wheel. His Bunkhouse he was towing was equipped with electric brakes but because all the Hoop La about them, he had them disconnected. Needless to say the trailer threw him to the ground quicker than slipping on owl snought. He hit me while sliding along on the ground. He ended up pretty bruised but that beatiful Ultra Classic didn't fair as well. That convinced me about installing the brakes. Good Bless!
p.s. I was also a firefighter for 17 years before moving to the southwest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts