GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

ran across this thread for those interested in the HF trailer. It has a few tips/hints that I have not read on other sites regarding the cartop carrier and HF trailer.
Buck

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
wheeler1963 said:
Buck, You mean like this???
looks very practical !

how far have you pulled it?
how does it pull behind the wing?

Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wingwing,

I've taken it 3,000 miles, 2,200 miles, and 1,500 miles. My brother took it 5,900 miles to Sturgis behind a HD Street Glide. Neither one of us had any problems or complaints.

To be honest, I have to check my mirrors every now and then just to make sure it's still with me. I can't even feel it back there. I cut the Harbor Freight frame down to narrow it. It is 6" wider than the Thule carbox, other than that, it is all stock stuff like the article Buck showed.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
wheeler1963 said:
other than that, it is all stock stuff like the article Buck showed.
Thanks ...
and what is the trailer hitch you're using?

I like making my own stuff ...
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually referring to the following tips that I have not read in other posts regarding building a home made from HF and Sears:

1-While you're working in the wheel area (preferably before you assemble the spring shackle) cut a piece of 1/2" ID auto heater hose (or garden hose) to fit inside the rear shackle and press the 1/2" bolt through the hose. This will cut down on some of the rattle made by the trailer as it goes over bumps

2- piano hinges to open the lid sideways

3- Tongue Stand Is a WalMart Bicycle Side Stand $4 Bolts Through Existing Hole

4- Swapmeet Cargo Net Attached To Lid With "S" Hooks & Eyebolts. As Lid Closes, Net Stretches Over Cargo Holding Everything In Place

5- Floorboards Make A Great Cooler Rack.This Rack Is Made From a Cast Off Set of Indian MC Floorboards (any brand will do) and a couple of pieces of 1/2" square aluminum tubing. The tubing is notched in the center with an aluminum spacer in the slotted section to keep the bolts from crushing the tubing and add stability. A solid bar of aluminum or steel would work as well.

6- Truck Box Liner keeps things in toolboxes from rattling so it works great in the floor of the carrier

hope these help someone
Buck

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wingwing,

I went with the Kuryakyn for the extra supports it has.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I ordered mine from Discount Tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts