GL1800Riders Forums banner

trailer build info

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rider1 
#1 ·
http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

ran across this thread for those interested in the HF trailer. It has a few tips/hints that I have not read on other sites regarding the cartop carrier and HF trailer.
Buck

#4 ·
Wingwing,

I've taken it 3,000 miles, 2,200 miles, and 1,500 miles. My brother took it 5,900 miles to Sturgis behind a HD Street Glide. Neither one of us had any problems or complaints.

To be honest, I have to check my mirrors every now and then just to make sure it's still with me. I can't even feel it back there. I cut the Harbor Freight frame down to narrow it. It is 6" wider than the Thule carbox, other than that, it is all stock stuff like the article Buck showed.

#6 ·
I was actually referring to the following tips that I have not read in other posts regarding building a home made from HF and Sears:

1-While you're working in the wheel area (preferably before you assemble the spring shackle) cut a piece of 1/2" ID auto heater hose (or garden hose) to fit inside the rear shackle and press the 1/2" bolt through the hose. This will cut down on some of the rattle made by the trailer as it goes over bumps

2- piano hinges to open the lid sideways

3- Tongue Stand Is a WalMart Bicycle Side Stand $4 Bolts Through Existing Hole

4- Swapmeet Cargo Net Attached To Lid With "S" Hooks & Eyebolts. As Lid Closes, Net Stretches Over Cargo Holding Everything In Place

5- Floorboards Make A Great Cooler Rack.This Rack Is Made From a Cast Off Set of Indian MC Floorboards (any brand will do) and a couple of pieces of 1/2" square aluminum tubing. The tubing is notched in the center with an aluminum spacer in the slotted section to keep the bolts from crushing the tubing and add stability. A solid bar of aluminum or steel would work as well.

6- Truck Box Liner keeps things in toolboxes from rattling so it works great in the floor of the carrier

hope these help someone
Buck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.