GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new cargo trailer to pull behind my GL1800. I'm looking for something in the 14-17 cubic foot range, and I have pretty well narrowed my choice to 2 different manufacturers and models. (But I'm open to other suggestions)

The two I am looking at are the Cycle-Mate CM1000 and the Aluma MCT. I did notice that the Aluma is about 55 lbs heavier than the Cycle-Mate. (180 vs 125) Should this be a concern?

Any insight into either of these that will help sway me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the input;
Gord

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I bought the Alum MCT about a year ago. I love it.
No, the few pounds you ask about does not matter.
My was pulled something over 10K miles since purchase.
I would buy the same thing again in a minute.
It is a very good value for the price.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
Given the choices of your two you selected I would go for the Alum

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
iba9241 said:
I am in the market for a new cargo trailer to pull behind my GL1800. I'm looking for something in the 14-17 cubic foot range, and I have pretty well narrowed my choice to 2 different manufacturers and models. (But I'm open to other suggestions)

The two I am looking at are the Cycle-Mate CM1000 and the Aluma MCT. I did notice that the Aluma is about 55 lbs heavier than the Cycle-Mate. (180 vs 125) Should this be a concern?

Any insight into either of these that will help sway me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the input;
Gord
I had a CM1000... I also had a CM2000LTD. Basically the same trailer, only larger. The CM's are good trailers and pull well. Concerning the added weight of the Aluma, I'd suggest that you will feel it. I went from the CM2000LTD to an Escapade Elite. Even though the Elite had a much better suspension system and only weighed 15# more when empty, I could tell I had a heavier trailer behind me. Does it make a difference - not really.

Buy the style you like better because (I think) you'll be happier with your purchase that way. That's why I have my 40 Ford... not the best trailer available, but it's sure stylish. :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
TrailerConfusion: Help me decide

I have owned Cycle Mate, Tow-a-Lite and now the Aluma MTC, plus have pulled several others including the Bushtech. The Aluma and the Bushtech are by far nicest and easest to pull with the least effect on the bike. The Aluma is easier to pack and has the better lid for lashing down the tent and poles and other bulky items I don't want in the trailer.
Of your two choices I would deffently go with the Aluma. You won't be sorry. You won't even notice the extra weight behind the 1800.

Farmer Jack
Romeo, Michigan

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Take a look at the Kompact-Kamp Excell(17 cu.ft.) I had two before my Bushtec and they are a nice unit.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ill second the Kompact Kamp product, I had one before bought my Bushtec. The Kamp was great lil-trailer but when I realized it was just a bit too small I went to the Bushtec.

But I did keep it 5 years

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input in helping me decide. When I started this thread, I had narrowed my choices down to two. Now have have 3 choices with the addition of the Kompact-Kamp.

Maybe by Spring I will have this all sorted out.

Thanks again;
Gord

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Check these out, my wife has one as does two of my riding friends. No issues with them, pull straight, handle great.

Priced right also...

http://www.neoshotrailers.com/

·
Registered
184 Posts

+1 on the Neosho ( Good Trailer even better Price )

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
For the money and the quality, check out www.piggybacker.com

I have had mine since June 06 and I am glad that I made this purchase. It ain't as fancy as the others but works just as well and where can you find one of the others, new for the money.

You will be glad you did and save the money for other bling on the GW

JMHO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In your opinion is the Neosh Starlight model better quality than their Jupiter model? I saw a Jupiter and thought it was really flimsy.

Thanks for your comments;
Gord

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I did it...

I ordered an Aluma MCTXL today. It will be shipped to a friends home in Ohio and I will pick it up from there in the Spring.

Thanks to everyone for helping me make my decision. I'm really looking forward to getting the trailer.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone, and a safe, healthy and prosperous 2007!

Gord

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think you'll very happy with your choice. I really like mine and it's tough to beat the price too. You might consider installing additional brake lights though. Lots of mod. ideas for the Aluma on this board. :D :D :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your input regarding the extra brake lights. I would sure like to learn about the other mods you refer to.

Ride safe;
Gord

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Here's some links to postings on this board. Maybe you've already seen them though. I added 2 brake lights mounted toward top left/right corners on rear, 4 clearance lights, 2 amber LED's on the side of the tongue, and 2 Dot-it lights for the interior. A swivel hitch from Black Tie Accessories and a Coleman Stainless steel cooler. I'm still working on carpeting the interior also. Lights were added for extra visibility.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67406

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68456

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Sdlyon5,

Please help me understand one of your photos. In the one where you showed the hitch connected to the Wing from under the hitch with the safety chains, I noticed that your hitch ball is mounted with a bolt. Hmm. My hitch ball is mounted with a washer and a nut. Did I miss something? Just curious!

Ride safely,

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts