GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--
It seems that most trailer manufacturers seem to think that having a black cover over a thin walled cooler on a trailer tongue in the summer is a good way to make ice last a long time. Whaaat?

I know there are some $250. coolers out there that are pretty good, but you'd still have to have another cover made. Then it wouldn't fit the factory bracket either. So you need another bracket.

I have not tried it as I'm just getting the trailer, but what about just putting a light colored insulated pad or blanket over the cooler and then a piece of Velcro wrapped around the whole thing to keep in on? It's not like you have to remove it every stop (usually). So when you do need to get into the cooler, just lift the whole cover off and set it aside for a few minutes. What's not to like?
--

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My solution is a Pelletier cooler for under a hundred $ and a couple Frozen blue gel bricks to kick start it in the right direction. I ran a 12v supply line to it and it's run for 6 yrs now in the high and low desert temps. No cover needed just a couple lights duty ratchet straps and it into a track I welded up the for perfect. I love pulling out I've cream sandwiches when it's 105!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
The biggest thing to do with a cooler is to precool it before a trip. You cant just put in a bunch of warm bottles of water or soda and dump ice and expect it to stay cool for any length of time. Put a large bag of ice in it the night before and toss your drinks in the fridge overnight. I will usually freeze most of my water bottles before they go in the cooler for the trip. By doing this, you should find your cooler keeping ice for much longer period of time. Continually draining the cooler will also reduce the length of time the cooler stays cold. You dont want a cooler full of water from melted ice but by draining all the water, the ice has to work harder to maintain a colder temp. I found the covers to be more of pain to use and stopped using one. I do use a more expensive cooler (a Maluna) but the stuff I mentioned above should also help out with the less expensive coolers as well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
for my Phase Change vest, which needs ice water, I am using one of the plastic coolers that is double walled with styrofoam inside for insulation.

I tried to keep a cover over it, but it blew off and lost that one.
so now it just sets in the breeze, and seems to hold ice water for at least six hours.
longer than I need it.

I agree that you need to have drinks cold before you dunk them in an ice chest, we have always dropped in 4 to 6 bottles of water in first so they are on the bottom, then I drop in a full bag of ice, then add water to bring it up to about 2/3rd full..... the Phase Change vests must be submerged so the inserts can 'freeze' again..... love my Phase Change, holds skin temp at 59*F until it dissolves..... refreeze in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I keep it simple. I use a soft cooler and keep it inside the trailer. Yes, I'm sacrificing a bit of space keeping the cooler inside the trailer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
--
At this point I'm leaning towards putting some rigid foam insulation board in the shape of a box over the present cooler. Then just lift this naugahyde covered box off the present cooler setup and open it up. Then drop the box down over the cooler and pull two Velcro strips tight and I'm ready for any temps. My bike is silver, so using a silver naugahyde will match plus won't absorb anywhere the heat the factory black naugahyde does.

--

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm using a Yeti Soft Cooler on my Bushtec Trailer. The Yeti 18 fits on the cooler rack and the factory cover fits and snaps into place to keep things secure.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As a suggestion, I used the mylar coated bubble wrap (the windshield sun guard for an auto) under and inside the black cover on the Bushtec cooler. The biggest improvement was from the layers under the cooler as it reflects the infrared from the pavement.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I do what Pooch is showing. Shooting insulating foam into the cheep cooler making it work much better!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did what Pooch and Bob did. Drill some holes in the underside of the top and spray foam in there. They have insulation in the sides and bottom but none in the top. It does help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts