GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations for a trailer to haul two motorcycles side by side, an ST1300 and the GL1800. So far the Kendon dual motorcycle trailer looks like the most affordable trailer that gives us what we want (including the optional stone guard). Are there other trailers out there I should consider?

One of the problems living on the left coast is the long distance it takes to travel to the land east of the Mississippi. When I travel long distances myself or 2-up I can make better time going east on a motorcycle than I can a car. However, when riding side by side with my wife we stop a lot more frequently (every 150 miles or so) to stretch our legs. Also, eating on the bike is not an option like eating in the car is.

So, considering that we have a couple of trips we want to take east next summer I purchased an SUV last week with a tow capacity of 3500 pounds. I'm throwing on the trailer hitch this weekend. Our vacation time is limited as we both still work full time, so towing the bikes the first 2,000 miles east will go much quicker than riding them and will leave us the time to really explore on the bikes. We can drive the interstate (which I hate, hate, hate riding) quicker and longer in the SUV to get to the undiscovered back roads we plan to ride. I figure if we tow our bikes to mid-Texas and then take off on our bikes from there we can enjoy the deep south. When we want to do the Eastern seaboard we will tow the bikes to Tennessee and ride out from there.

Any and all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For about a grand more you can have an enclosed trailer. Look on ebay. There are LOTS of new tralers there that will keep your rides clean and your gear safe.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with enclosed trailers is they don't look near as nice as a GL and ST do in the rear view mirror.

On a more serious note, I had considered the enclosed trailers but I oddly feel more comfortable always seeing how the bikes are doing. Also, the Kendon trailer doesn't take up as much storage room since it can be stored on end. I don't have a place to keep an enclosed trailer and don't want to rent a "U-Store it" location.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In my experience, towing the conventional open bike trailer effects the gas mileage of the tow vehicle only a little. Towing with an enclosed (read that as poor aerodynamic device that acts more like a wind brake) trailer, the gas mileage is impacted pretty hard. I lose 10MPG towing my aluminum frame, fiberglass body, 550 pound enclosed trailer behind my car. I lose about 5MPG when I tow it behind my Toyota Tundra pickup. The Tundra offers a better shield to break the wind from hitting the trailer body and creating so much drag. That said, it sure is nice to pull into the motel and run the wing up the ramp door into the trailer, like it was a garage, and leave it there for the night. I can usually find a light pole or such in the motel parking lots that allows me to lock the trailer there (with all the appropriate tongue and wheel locks) to discourage drive-by borrowers. At 2.50 a gallon it can run into an extra 250 bucks to drag that trailer on a 4000 mile trip. Do that a few times a year and it gets your wallet's attention. We have medical conditions that dictate using the trailer or giving up going very far from home with the Wing. I gladly pay the extra travel costs as I imagine most of us bikers would. I recommend finding a trailer like the one I described. Many enclosed trailers are steel and have twin axles. One to carry the 2-3 thousand pounds the trailer weighs and one axle to carry the weight of the cargo. That means you're dragging around a lot of extra weight. The light, aluminum, one axle units can have 2500 to 3000 pound axles that allow a cargo load of a couple of thousand pounds, two wings, IF the trailer is wide enough to fit. Mine is a Yukon Delta brand that was custom made for me. Unfortunately, they are no longer offering trailers to my knowledge as the owner had medical problems. There are several other similar trailers on the market if you look for them. IF interested, you can check for trailers advertised for trailering hot air balloons and such. That's what a smaller version of mine was originally designed for.
DC

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have a Kendor and it is great. I haul a GL1800 and VTX1300 and it does well. One thing about the Kendor if pulling empty it is so smooth you hardly ever feel it behind you. Some empty trailers will beat you to death. Email me if I can answer any questions

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Some folks want motorcycle specific trailers - kinda like oil, I guess lol - but that Kendon is pretty expensive compared to alternatives. You can get an open trailer like this for around $500 just about anywhere. You can add rock guards, chocks, tie down "D" rings and all the other things you require for another $500. Your choice.

http://www.smithtrailers.com/Open_Trailers/S&S_Trailers.php

·
Registered
160 Posts
Classic Trailers make a great V-Nose trailer in several different configurations. All have ramp rear doors and a side entrance door as well. Great construction and the v-nose helps the gas mileage and wind bucking.

I have a 5X8 that is great for just one 1800 with a Pringel wheel chock!

4- 2000 ratchet straps and the bike doesn't move when trailering over 800 mile from home! Lots of room for a spare, gear and the bike stays clean as can be!

In my opinion, it's the only way to go

look for Classic Trailers at

www.classicmfg.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a Pace American, Journey Cycle trailer. I have found this to be a quality trailer for the price and I especially like the smoothness of the Torsion suspension.

A closed in trailer keeps everything cleaner and gives you the ability to carry "extras" in the trailer.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I'll echo the comment by dream catcher on enclosed trailers....its like pulling a drag chute.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Kendon

I have the dual Kendon and have put a third center rail on it. I hate droning across the Western deserts/interstates on a bike. Plus towing gives me more flexibility to do other things on vacation. Love it!

The big advantage of the kendon is the fact that most of the time you don't use it and therefore it stores away nicely in the garage in standup mode!!!! If you have lots of space then consider an enclosed rig, but you will pay more for gas. The storage capability/flexibility comes in handy too as it stands up in campgrounds out of the way when I setup base camp for a week.

It is very stable on the road and it only costs me about 2mpg with my Chevy 1500 PU. I usually tow just the Wing but I have taken two bikes and it works well.

Edited to add - Best thing I did was buy mud guards for my truck. I also put the "BRA" on that would be my bike, when I tow a long ways to help with the protection.

Big Fan.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have a single bike aluma

but they do make a double as well

well made, light, great ramp that stores under the trailer

also comes with stone gaurd

·
Registered
55 Posts
loren said:
i have a single bike aluma

but they do make a double as well

well made, light, great ramp that stores under the trailer

also comes with stone gaurd
I have one of these as well. I prefer it over the Kendon which I previously owned. This one stands up in the garage just like the Kendon for storage. The big advantage that I see is try to load a Wing on the Kendon by yourself and then try it with the Aluma. The Aluma is a lot more user friendly for one person...especially with a larger bike. I use a Baxley Sport Chock on mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Personaly for what I paid for my wing I would not even consider putting it in anything but a covered trailer. Keeps the bike clean, safe and I can also store all my riding gear in the trailer. We seem to end up with a lot of that after awhile. Think of it as a mobile garage. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Trailer

Enclosed trailers are indeed better but what about a neighborhood that won't allow trailers? I can unbolt parts off this trailer and it's not a trailer anymore. Some of have to make do to stay within the rules.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts