GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy a trailer for carrying the Wing across the miles so that we can ride once we get to our location(s) without being beat by the ride.
Don't get me wrong...I truly enjoy riding the bike...we just took a ride to Missouri and Illinois, but it was a bit tough on us (I am 65).

Anyway, any recommendations on the best trailer for the price? Open or closed, if open, I would like the bike protected in the front.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trailer

I found u haul has one that's open and when your done ,take it back. Also can insure the bike for damage, cheap per day

·
Registered
120 Posts
trailer

I use a 5x10 utility trailer that I bought for about 800$ new. It has square tube top rails and works well for the task. Came with a rear gate that serves as a ramp. I put a narrow tool box across the front and a condo chock, also cargo gear retractable tie downs bolted to trailer. A 12' length would allow a little more leeway for a larger toolbox across front. The toolbox also protects bike from road debris. I have the phone number of the guy who sells these trailers if you need it. He is in Hurst, Tx.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a 6' X 10' inclosed LoadStar trailer w/chock and HD tie downs in the floor. the back pulls down and I just drive in. My wife has medical issues and can't do the long distance so when she goes we trailer the bike.... about $3500.00 new a couple of years ago, could buy used and save $.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am wanting to buy a trailer for carrying the Wing across the miles so that we can ride once we get to our location(s) without being beat by the ride.
Don't get me wrong...I truly enjoy riding the bike...we just took a ride to Missouri and Illinois, but it was a bit tough on us (I am 65).
why not "Seek" out Ardys "Queenie" Kellerman and find out how she does it. she is only 79-ish

65!!!? right.

http://www.lonestarcycle.com/ardys800.htm

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
6 1/2X10 v-nose all aluminum Thule/Cargo Pro. Pricey but light weight and well made.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ardy is pretty remarkable...not sure what that has to do with my question, but thanks(?) for your input.
i have an extreme phobia of trailers! bikes on trailers is a form of misuse/abuse!
i prefer to ride there and dont place restrictions to doing such things. if something keeps me from riding i Fix it.

good luck in your selection and keep the abuse to a minimum!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have the Aluma MC-10 works great for the wing. It will run you around 1700 or so.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
i have an extreme phobia of trailers! bikes on trailers is a form of misuse/abuse!
i prefer to ride there and dont place restrictions to doing such things. if something keeps me from riding i Fix it.

good luck in your selection and keep the abuse to a minimum!

Damn Cdog you make me laugh my a$$ off. When you going to learn the good, normal, and sane citizens are not interested in riding, it's only whackjobs that want to ride. Course I'm one to talk, good to have your voice of reason back on the board.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I purchased the mc35 used, made by this manufactor http://www.bigtextrailers.com/#. Saved 2grand by finding a good used one. We hauled a Wing and Ultra Classic 2500 in June with no problem. It's large enoungh to haul a trike also.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Reading Comprehension

Some people must really have a problem with reading comprehension, re-read the original post. The Op has a valid request and a problem that needs to be addressed. Whatever works for you is what you need to do. Everyone WILL GET OLD and/or less than 100% physically. When your time comes, believe me, you'll know it and will be a little bit more understanding and compasionate of others in the same boat :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Used trailers hold their value very well. If you buy used you can use it for several years and still get a good price for it. Aluminum trailers cost more but have an even better resale value. I would suggest that you look for better more expensive used ones as the actual cost to you after you sell it is not too bad. They are hot items and sell quickly.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Anyway, any recommendations on the best trailer for the price? Open or closed, if open, I would like the bike protected in the front.

Thanks for the input
Please don't let others get you down. I am only 50, but I have rode through or around most places I wanted to go. So now I do trailer the wing or fjr to my destination and ride the heck of the bikes when I get there. With only 30 days of vacation a year and limited four day weekends I try to make the most of my riding time. Good luck and remember to just get a good quality trailer within your budget.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Before the rest of you flame me, depending on how much you are going to use the trailer, U-haul has a pretty cheap alternative. It's somewhat motorcycle specific, light, and at $14.95 a day pretty cheap. Class 3 trailer hitch about $182.00 installed and that includes wiring harness, ball, and pins.

As far a protecting the wing, it would take a real screwy trajectory of an item to hit your wing. The trailer has rails that are about 2' high. It you decide to use a cover, make sure it's tight and doesn't flap too much. Built in tie downs.

Just used one last month to haul wing to the repair shop (because I had no way to get back home so no flames necessary) and total for two trips was about $41.00. That's a lot of use to get to the $1000 to $2000 range to make the trailer pay for it's self (unless you have other uses for the trailer). Depending on the destination and time frame, one way it there, reserve it, and then one way it back.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
393 Posts
Trailering

my wing is sometimes the only option for Momma to go. Trailered Wing and Valk on a Kearney w/front gaurd last month to Colo. Rode @ 2000 miles in cool air, then back to TX. When we stopped for gas at Quanah Tx temp outside was 111. She just can't takethat much heat, and I don't enjoy it (68 years old next wk). Bought the trailer on Craig's list for 1/2 of list price, a 2010 model. 800 miles in one shot to begin the ride - 800 miles home. NO STRESS. Getcha one. By the way, iy hauls my 6' ZTR mower, the 4wheeler, or the bikes.

Shiv

·
Registered
907 Posts
I purchased the mc35 used, made by this manufactor http://www.bigtextrailers.com/#. Saved 2grand by finding a good used one. We hauled a Wing and Ultra Classic 2500 in June with no problem. It's large enoungh to haul a trike also.

I have a trailer like the one on the right. bought a wheel chock at Harbor Freight, set of Canyon Dancers and 2 sets of straps (one on each highway bar). Hauled the wing from Dallas to Denver and back without a problem.

FYI 105 degrees and 795 miles of nothin is not a fun ride. Plus I get to sleep while the wife drives.....:cool:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the Aluma MC-10 works great for the wing. It will run you around 1700 or so.

That makes two of us. And for those smart azzes downplaying those who trailer a bike I hope I am still around when you make the same request. I have a looooooooong memory. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Any of the utility trailers with a choke are fine. Don't use anything small than 14" wheel.

The only use I have for a trailer is to get the bike home for emergency. I fine riding is always better than trailering regardless of the scenery.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts