GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there has been much said about Bushtec in the past, but can anyone compare the two?
I've noticed that the Rivco seems to pass through the rear fender and I'm curious how well that works, or should I say how clean it is?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can't answer your question as far as the Rivco hitch.

I have the first generation Bushtec hitch on my 02 (tire will not come out the back while on centerstand). Bushtec installed the hitch at a rally for me while I was purchasing one of their trailers.

They have redesigned their hitch to have a removeable center section to allow the tire to be removed while on the centerstand. I will be ordering one of those to install on the wifes 04 soon.

I looked at a bike a few years ago that had the Rivco hitch installed. It caught my eye as we were walking by. At first I thought.......how cool is that. Then I thought about having to cut a hole in the rear fender, when the drawbar is removed how well does the reflector stay in place? How dirty do you have to get to install the drawbar for those times you are pulling the trailer.

Now to toot the Preston's horn. One thing I have learned about the Preston family. If you ask a honest question you get a honest answer. I would call the Bushtec factory. Almost every time I have called Mr. Preston has been the one to answer the phone. Ask him the pros and cons of the Rivco. Keep in mind a negative is a negative and not a slam of another company's product coming from the Preston's. I probably asked him a hundred questions over a three year period before I gave him my first dime. :oops:

What type or brand of trailer do you plan to pull and how often? What type of road conditions?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Hitches

I have a first generation Bushtech hitch on my 1800 which I had to do some work to make fit. I have a new 04. I had an 01 with this type hitch which I really liked.

The 04 bikes have a new baffle on the inside and top of the right muffler. One of the acorn nuts on the top of right muffler hits hard on the hoop of the old style hitch and the muffler hangars also hit.

I ground the acorn nut that hit down to the thickness of a jam nut, and the retainer of the nut on the muffler hanger I modified to make it clear the old style hoop.

John Preston bent over backwards for me and sent me his first new style hitch when I told him the 04s were different. That shows just what a good supplier and proponent of motorcycling he is. I returned it because I will do a lot of trailer testing over the next year or so and the old style hitch is stronger and stiffer, although John may not be of the same opinion.

The hoop is now interrupted by being welded to a plate with ears. It may never give trouble in service with lightly loaded trailers. However, I told John that I wished he would also offer the old style hitch with the dogleg in the hoop that he put in the new hitch to clear the two obstacle on the new bikes.

There is not doubt in my mind that the old hitch is stronger and stiffer, even if harder to install and prevents the tire from being removed out the back.

I would like to know who would ever take the tire off that way. The lug nuts are so tight, I don't know who would be carrying a large torque wrench to put them back.

Unless the tire is badly damaged, a plug can be put in on the bike as I have done three times, very successfully. If the tire is too bad to plug, the bike has to go to the shop anyway.

John builds quality stuff and is a very good ambassador for motorcycling. That does not mean we always agree, nor does it mean that he is wrong on any issue. I do not know anything about the Rivco hitch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
rivco hitch

I have the rivco hitch on my 03 1800 wing. I bought it from hdl and installed myself. The reasons: 1-aluminum (weight), 2-ease of rear tire removal 3-correct drawbar pull off of the frame 4-the drawbar removes with ease and then the reflector with the extra clip goes back in the hole. yes you have to remove some fiberglass where the reflector was but just use the templet and moto tool. It pulls with ease and no wiggle.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Gary I installed the Rivco because of the light weight and ease of installation.
The only thing was cutting out where the reflector is/was. Other than that it was a quick and easy install. Plus the hitch could/would pull a Mack truck!!
Don

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I, too, have a Rivco, and love it. It takes just a bit of finesse to get to upper support braces in, but really not a big deal. The tongue is chromed, pins in and out easily, and the stock reflector covers the hole using a spring clip when the tongue is removed making it invisible when not in use. My bike is an '03, so I can't say what, if any, problems you would have with a '04.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Installed the new Bushtec 04 style, did not think it was hard at all. Would never cut oem parts if other options are available. No damage to bike, and no risk of someone triping on the hitch when it is not in use. Four bolts remove it for wheel removal. Quality product too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts