GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a Trailer Hitch for my 2016 Goldwing and from what I've been reading, it seems the Bushtec is/was the preferred hitch. Is that still the best hitch? I also saw the Rivco was well liked, but I wasn't crazy about the hole it leaves in the rear fender panel when the hitch bar is removed. Any other suggestions?

When I put a hitch on my Valk, I just tied the wires into my lighting wiring. But for the Goldwing, I guess I need the isolation wiring? I see there are several available. Bushtec says theirs is specific to their trailers (mine is a Kompac Kamp) so I don't know if that would work. So I was leaning towards the Kuryakin. Is there a better one out there? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bob E.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
A center fender panel is a $50 - $70 part...

The Rivco hitch is well made, and besides - you'll be like most and just leave the hitch in place all the time in the end.

(Makes it a breeze to slap that rack & bag on when you want it...)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A center fender panel is a $50 - $70 part...

The Rivco hitch is well made, and besides - you'll be like most and just leave the hitch in place all the time in the end.

(Makes it a breeze to slap that rack & bag on when you want it...)

Actually, I'm not like most, I guess. I only pull a trailer a couple times a year when I can talk my wife into taking the bike when we can get away for a weekend. When its just me, I can pack all my stuff on the bike. So I rarely, if ever, leave the hitch in place. Plus, I know it's probably dumb, but my bike is all blacked out, so I'd rather not have this big chrome bar hanging off the back all the time. It would kind of look out of place. I don't leave the hitch on my truck when I'm not using it either.

Any thoughts on the wiring isolators?

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
They all work if made for wing ! Some have arms that connect under seat ( bushtech/ rivco etc.) supposed to be better ! ? Was in wreck pulling camper couple yrs ago - kury hitch - slide on side of camper 97 ft with bike . No issues with hitch. Used it afterwards another 20,000 miles .

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Any thoughts on the wiring isolators?
I rewired the isolator I purchased originally for my '06 for my '16...

It's got Rivco's name on it, but EC may have been the supplier of these at the time I bought it, I don't recall. Yes, the decal on this version is reversed...

This is mainly protecting the bike from damage in the event a trailer wiring issue pops up. So, it's debatable if it's a requirement or a smart thing to have just in case on this vintage of Goldwing.

On the 18 & up - it *is* a requirement.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I got the Rivco and like it.

Although; I admit to never using it. I got it for a rack and bag setup to travel with the wife. She got a trike and now we have plenty of storage without any hitch rack.

My license plate covers my hole up. I mounted the Rivco relocation license plate bracket upside down. I just take off my plate to install the hitch and put it back on. With no hitch my license plate covers the hole. Works perfectly.

I figure Honda goes to a lot of trouble to shed weight. I consider weight when adding accessories and buying gear. I like the light weight aluminum made Rivco Hitch.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When I put a hitch on my Valk, I just tied the wires into my lighting wiring. But for the Goldwing, I guess I need the isolation wiring? I see there are several available. Bushtec says theirs is specific to their trailers (mine is a Kompac Kamp) so I don't know if that would work. So I was leaning towards the Kuryakin. Is there a better one out there? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Bob E.
Bob take a look at my add on the inventor's toolbox, https://gl1800riders.com/forums/201-inventors-hobby-shop/431273-c31-breakout-harness.html, go down to post 4.

Easiest on the market to install, I can customize it with what ever connector you need to match your trailer.

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
I'm shopping for a Trailer Hitch for my 2016 Goldwing and from what I've been reading, it seems the Bushtec is/was the preferred hitch.

But for the Goldwing, I guess I need the isolation wiring? I see there are several available. Bushtec says theirs is specific to their trailers (mine is a Kompac Kamp) so I don't know if that would work. So I was leaning towards the Kuryakin. Is there a better one out there? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bob E.
Yes ... BushTec still makes the best trailer hitches, and wire harness, and support m/c trailering better then any company does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...you guys convinced me. HAHA! I just ordered the Rivco hitch. What sold me was the light weight and the aluminum construction. I’m still not crazy about cutting a hole in my brand new fender. But I read a bunch of reviews and the installation instructions and it doesn’t sound too bad. And some folks mentioned a reflector that covers the hole?? So I’m going for it. I also ordered the Rivco sub-harness and Rivco trailer wiring isolator.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You will find proponents of any of the various brands, I happen to like the Bushtec, I would like it better if it were strong aluminum, but it is not. Check any trike dealer(s) around you. Once a bike is converted, it cannot use the same hitch. You can get a good used hitch for $125-$150, the last time I needed one.

There are other things you can do with a hitch besides pull a trailer. When I originally got mine, it was not to pull a trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The biggest issue I have with Bustec and most others on their trailer wiring harness is you have to route wires through the trunk hinge area and up under the trunk inner lid. There already to many wires going through the trunk lid hinge area ,why add more when you do not have to. Then you have to hunt for the other connectors under the seat for the circuits that do not go up to the trunk.
My system use one harness that breaks into the harness under the seat that has all of the circuits you need, one plug from the break out harness plugs in the isolator or isolator/converter and one comes out and runs to the plug for the trailer. Easy, not multiple harnesses if you need a converter. But that is just me.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
Ok...you guys convinced me. HAHA! I just ordered the Rivco hitch. What sold me was the light weight and the aluminum construction. I’m still not crazy about cutting a hole in my brand new fender. But I read a bunch of reviews and the installation instructions and it doesn’t sound too bad. And some folks mentioned a reflector that covers the hole?? So I’m going for it. I also ordered the Rivco sub-harness and Rivco trailer wiring isolator.
I think the Rivco hitch is a 4 point hitch. That means it attaches to the Wing in 4 places. Those are great for cooler racks. However, for towing, you might want to look at 6 point hitches. BushTec and Kury make those.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I bought the Kuryakyn isolator also for my 12 so I didn't have wires running down from the top box. Just hooks into main harness under seat.

Also if ever add Kuryakyn lights they are plug and play.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I believe you'd find that well respected trailer tower & manufacturer (Tom Finch) was a proponent of the Rivco...in fact, here it is:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/14-...-hitch-questions-tom-finch.html?action=thread

Install instructions: Bushtec, Rivco, Kury. From what I'm reading, Bushtec & Rivco are attached in the same locations.

http://store.bushtec.com/v/vspfiles...llation-Guide-Bushtec-Motorcycle-Trailers.pdf

https://1213sc2x3ueg9tpdd45e8w3l-wp.../GL18007-30-_Instruct-booklet_8-12Kremake.pdf

https://maggroup.blob.core.windows.net/kuryakyn/7641-21GL-0113.pdf

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is just wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
Right or wrong I am putting a RIVCO hitch on my bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts