GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking advise about trailer hitches for my GL 1800. I am considering a kuryakyn. I would appreciate some advice about what might be the best hitch to go with. Thanks Dan

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have a Kury hitch and would never, never recommend it to anyone. First, mine mounts to the subframe and second, it is a real pain to remove when other items on the bike need worked on. Not to mention their chrome quality on other bike parts. I think they have learned to make plastic rust through their R&D.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I went for a Bushtec V1 I got on sale on e-bay when John was clearing them out. When and if I need another hitch (New bike), I will buy the Bushtec V2. You get a lot better support with this hitch as it attaches to the sub-frame.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=738&str=4

·
Administrator
3,581 Posts
Hello, and welcome aboard. This is a great forum and you'll find a lot of people willing to help all we can.

You're new here so probably didn't see the sub-forums. Under the sub-forums is a board dedicated to trailers and their accessories. If you'll post this question on that board you'll probably get more responses. You'll also find it's a touchy subject. If you really want an education do a search for "Tom Finch and trailer hitches". You'll learn so much your head will hurt.:thumbup:

Now, with that out of the way, I'll offer my advice here. There are only three trailer hitches that attach to the GL1800's main frame, so don't depend on the weaker sub frame. These are the Bushtec, Rivco, and Add-On. I have the Bushtec pulling my Tailwind and I like everything about this setup.

PM me if you'd like to discuss more.

Welcome aboard from damp, rainy Southeast Texas
Glen

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'll have to 2nd or 3rd the Bushtec. Welcome aboard by the way!!:congrats:

·
Registered
608 Posts
well I guess I'll have to put a plug in for rivco had mine for 2 years and it works and looks great. Kelt:doorag:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Gents,
I recently installed an "Add-on" brand and it's a pretty darn nice hitch. I haven't had any experiences with other brands so, I really can't compare. My install was pretty straight forward and had little to no problems. It was a great price and the quality of the components, chrome, powder coating etc is very good. That's about it, nice hitch.
Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just installed BushTec V2...........do yourself a favor...if installing yourself, remove the exhaust pipes on both sides. It's simple and will save you some scrapped knuckles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gents,
I recently installed an "Add-on" brand and it's a pretty darn nice hitch. I haven't had any experiences with other brands so, I really can't compare. My install was pretty straight forward and had little to no problems. It was a great price and the quality of the components, chrome, powder coating etc is very good. That's about it, nice hitch.
Scott
:agree: +1

I just got a Timeout cargo trailer and have been out testing it with my Add-On hitch since Tuesday. No problems at all. I checked all of the connect points today and they are all intact.

·
Registered
418 Posts
well I guess I'll have to put a plug in for rivco had mine for 2 years and it works and looks great. Kelt:doorag:
:agree: I love mine , i like the fact its all aluminum no rust or chrome to come off. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You will find lots of info on the trailer board

It seems the top two are Rivco and Bushtec....some prefer the Rivco because it is aluminum but requires you to cut a hole in the fender...others see the few extra pounds of the steel Bushtec of no consequence and do not have to alter the fender

Either way, both will do you fine as both mount to the main frame....it is a issue of personla preference

For me I got the Bushtec because I have a Bushtec trailer and use the heim joint to couple up the Bushtec trailer rather than the std ball joint

B

·
0 Posts
Rivco hitches are simply the best for Goldwings...

Hello, and welcome aboard. This is a great forum and you'll find a lot of people willing to help all we can.

You're new here so probably didn't see the sub-forums. Under the sub-forums is a board dedicated to trailers and their accessories. If you'll post this question on that board you'll probably get more responses. You'll also find it's a touchy subject. If you really want an education do a search for "Tom Finch and trailer hitches". You'll learn so much your head will hurt.:thumbup:

Now, with that out of the way, I'll offer my advice here. There are only three trailer hitches that attach to the GL1800's main frame, so don't depend on the weaker sub frame. These are the Bushtec, Rivco, and Add-On.
I may be wrong (haven't been yet) but I thought the third hitch that bolts to the main frame was the Hitch Doc. Is that made by Add On?

Regardless, if you want a quality machined aluminum hitch you can't go wrong with the Rivco. They see fit to include pictured illustrations along with their instructions (unlike Bushtec). Aluminum frame, aluminum hitch. They work well together and at half the weight of steel hitches for the same engineered strength. Here is a well known install thread for the Rivco hitch: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141255&highlight=Rivco+hitch+install

Pay no attention to post #5 and beyond. (Hardly worth reading but funny as hell). :lol:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
hitch

The Add On is a good hitch for the money, however, it does NOT have the extra braces that attach to the main frame like the Bushtec, Rivco and Hitch Doc do. It just a personal choice as to which one you want to use. The Bushtec and Rivco are the two best ones and the most popular.
I too bought the Bushtec V1 when it was on sale, however it does not have the removable section so you can roll the rear tire out the back. The Bushtec V2 does allow you to do this. I am not familiar with the Rivco but I think its like the V2 in that respect.

H

·
0 Posts
Another vote for the Rivco. I love mine, looks great installed or without and the reflector back in place. Great instructions and everything needed for wiring, etc.

B

·
0 Posts
The Add On is a good hitch for the money, however, it does NOT have the extra braces that attach to the main frame like the Bushtec, Rivco and Hitch Doc do. It just a personal choice as to which one you want to use. The Bushtec and Rivco are the two best ones and the most popular.
I too bought the Bushtec V1 when it was on sale, however it does not have the removable section so you can roll the rear tire out the back. The Bushtec V2 does allow you to do this. I am not familiar with the Rivco but I think its like the V2 in that respect.
Thank you for confirming my thought regarding Glockjock's claim about the Add-On hitch. The Bushtec may be a reasonable choice if you have an older Goldwing withOUT the audio amp behind the rear fender but the removable rear section of the hitch would be a bigger hassle than it's worth to remove a rear tire out the back on the newer Goldwings. Rather than remove the audio amp it would be far easier to buy a lift (or lay the Goldwing on the crashbars) to remove the tire out the bottom.

The Rivco does NOT have a removable rear section like the V-2 Bushtec but, as I said above, it is a moot point on the newer Goldwings with the rear audio amp installed.

·
Administrator
3,581 Posts
Sorry for the mistake. I blew it. I said Add-On when I should have said said Hitch Doc. That's what happens when an old guy relies on his memory. Anyway, I do stand by my recommendation of the Bushtec hitch, as I actually have one!

Dave's been mad at me ever since I got my Tailwind an hour before he got his, which proves that Tom likes me best! :1st:

Glockjock

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hitch

Dan Brenda

I have the Bushtec v-2 hitch. Love it, came with all i needed.

It was easy to install, just take your time.

Read the instuctions a few times first.

Great site here for tech tips on the install.

Good Luck.

txs, F

1 - 20 of 44 Posts