GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You are going to get 100 different answers. I have the Bushtec and am happy with it. I think it is the most popular. The mechanic at my dealer recommends the Bushtec because of the way it mounts.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
He is correct about lots of different opinions. You can read answers to that question here:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?415730-Trailer-Hitch

Most seem to lean towards the Bushtec. That is what I have, and I find no problem with it.

May I also suggest you start reading the the trailer sub-forum. You will learn a lot about trailers and towing, etc.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I bought my hitch I ask around and researched and I came up with these 3. Bushtec, Rivco, and Hitch Doctor, in that order, because they mounted to the main frame and sub frame instead of just the sub frame. I went with the Rivco because I found a used one cheap. There may be more that mount to the main frame because it has been 3 years since I bought mine. With the Rivco I had to cut a hole in my rear fender where the reflector goes, but that wasn't a biggie because the reflector covered the hole when the hitch was not in use. With the drawbar removed and the reflector in place you couldn't tell I had a hitch without laying down and looking under the bike. I was very satisfied with the Rivco. but if I hadn't found a used one I probably would have gone with the Bushtec. One good thing about the Rivco it was aluminum and weighed less.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good advice

I don't think I will pull a trailer but will have a pakit rak. I certainly don't want to lose my wife she is my only source of income.Thanks

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
A lot of us have pulled trailers all over this country and to and from Alaska with no problems at all. Even my wife pull a Wags trailer so we can take our dogs on vacations. Pay attention to what you are doing and all is ok.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Been pulling trailers for years -never a problem............:bow::bow:

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I do. Don't!!! Rider here gotten pulled down when trailer wheel ran off rd. he lost an arm and a wife.
just saying. Do what u want.
Jsr
We all realize M/Cs are dangerous. Riding is just a chance we take. Driving a car is dangerous. I mean no disrespect for the person you made reference to, but, he did drop a wheel off the road, which you indicate lead to the fatal accident. Was that the trailer's fault? Not likely. Granted, it was a contributing factor, but not the cause. I only have about 3000 miles pulling, but as long as I pay attention, it has yet to present an issue. Pulling a trailer is like so many other things: the safety factor is dependent on the operator, for the most part.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Whichever hitch you get make sure the rear tire can be removed without having to jack up the bike to drop it out instead of pulling it straight back. Mine has what is probably a stabilizer bar behind the wheel (I don't know the brand - came on my bike when I bought it used). Because of this, either the bike has to be jacked up high enough to pull the tire out from underneath or the hitch has to be removed to pull the tire straight out as designed. We've had to do both and jacking it up high was definitely the easier of the two options.

Beyond that, take care of your bike and trailer tires and they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I bought a Kuryakyn hitch and also a kuryakyn plug and play wiring harness. it is very well built and was easy to install. I would recommend it....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought the Rivco hitch with a 6" drop and am more than satisfied with my purchase. It is just as strong as competing brands but far lighter. When ordering you can choose what drop height you prefer for the style/height of trailer you will pull. Bustec, Rivco and Hitch Doc are the only 3 that bolt up to the main frame only, others may bolt to and stress the sub-frame which are lateral forces they were never intended to withstand. No point in adding more weight than necessary to your rig. Installing an aluminum hitch to an aluminum framed GoldWing just makes sense to me. Anyone who thinks they need a steel trailer hitch because it is stronger has no understanding regarding the weakest link in a chain. JMHO

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Whichever hitch you get make sure the rear tire can be removed without having to jack up the bike to drop it out instead of pulling it straight back. Mine has what is probably a stabilizer bar behind the wheel (I don't know the brand - came on my bike when I bought it used). Because of this, either the bike has to be jacked up high enough to pull the tire out from underneath or the hitch has to be removed to pull the tire straight out as designed. We've had to do both and jacking it up high was definitely the easier of the two options.

Beyond that, take care of your bike and trailer tires and they'll take care of you.
Or....simple put a little padding like old carpet under the right hand crash bars and gentle lay it over on its right side and easily remove the rear wheel in just several minutes. Absolutely no harm done to the Goldwing. Easiest method by far.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I installed the Rivco hitch myself. Cut the hole in the rear fender and then rather than putting the rear reflector over the hole, I got a Whelan strobe to act as a supplemental brake light. It stays in place with two small screws takes about 30 seconds to take on or off

Sorry about advertising the forum, just realized i didn't get permission, I'll get that peeled off and a new photo taken.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hitch

Do all of the hitches exit through the reflector? I had a Pakit- Rak and had to cut through for the mount.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Rivco is the only one that comes out of that location. More clearance when entering or exiting parking lots. Wait till you get your trailer so you will know what drop to get. I had to reorder the 6 inch drop. Extra 100.00

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
No, I believe the only one that requires cutting the hole is the Rivco hitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hitch

I am on my second Bushtec hitch and could not be more pleased with the quality, I have pulled a Bushtec for 20 years or so behind a FJ1200 Yamaha (35000 miles) 2001 GL1800 (25000 miles) and now just installed a hitch on my new to me 2007 Wing. I have also pulled my Bushtec probably 25000 miles behind 3 different Miata's with no problems except 1 wheel bearing going out after 15 years of my ownership of one of their 1st trailers built in 1984 in California. If anything to me my trailer makes my motorcycle more stable at higher speeds. You have to take a little more precautions with your trailer just as in anything pulling any trailer but with a female along or camping their is no better solution for me. I know their are other good brands out there but they have a high quality product that works. I feel sorry for the person that lost his wife but in all these miles I have never had a close encounter pulling my trailer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts