GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put a new trailer hitch on my 2012 GL 1800 wondering if anyone has any ideas pros and cons of the kuyakyn or which one is the better thanks for the help ?

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
bush tech and rivco are the top 2 for a reason. You might want to get your trailer first and see what the level height would be to pull it level, that way you can order the right drop hitch for it. Ask me how I know. Rivco has a 3 inch and a 6 inch drop. I like it better because the hitch comes out of the reflector on the rear fender.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I mounted a Bushtec on the 2012. It is basically the same hitch as previous models. The difference is in the length of the receiver tongue. Measurement shows it to be 2" longer. the tongue does appear to be a little closer to the bottom of the rear fender. Don't know about other models. Have used Bushtec on my 2 other GL's and never had a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The Kury is very similar to the Bushtec (which I installed on my '09). I preferred the Bushtec style hitch because it didn't require me to drill a hole in my rear fender.

The Kury, Bushtech, Add-on, and Rivco are all going to work well. It is really just a personal opinion on which is better for anyone person. The Rivco requires modifying the rear fender (the hitch extends through the rear fender). The Rivco is lighter but without a removable rear section.

The others drop their hitch down below the rear fender so no modifications are needed to the fender. They are heavier units and have a removable section. The removable section is to help aid in rear tire removale but why bother when laying the bike over is so much easier.

I'd just figure out if you prefer the hitch to come out below the fender or go through the fender.

Rivco:

Bushtec/Kury/Add-on look kinda like this with the hitch exiting below the fender (no need to modify fender like in picture)

I'm going to put a new trailer hitch on my 2012 GL 1800 wondering if anyone has any ideas pros and cons of the kuyakyn or which one is the better thanks for the help ?

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
I put an Add-on on mine, and while I have no complaints about how it works, it was a bear to put on. The machining of the parts just didn't seem to be up to par. Basically, to get it to install properly, I had to leave everything completely loose (bolts and nuts started just enough to keep them together) until everything was on (except for the removable hitch), then start tightening them down. Even that had to be done in steps, tigtening them all to finger tight, then all to tool tight, then all fully bolted down.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Installing the Bushtec presented a problem of getting the struts to align just right so they would slide down the crevices betwenn the rear wheel cover and frame. once you got them located and fastened with the upper bolts, the rest was pretty straight forward. All toll about 2-1/2 hours solid.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rivco

I had the bike shop install mine. Installed it at 500 miles, towed my matrix rover some 5100 miles, 200 pound trailer, with about 350 pounds of camping gear.:yes1:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The Bushtec was a bit challenging also. Cramped spaces and alignment was tricky but it all fit together.

I put an Add-on on mine, and while I have no complaints about how it works, it was a bear to put on. The machining of the parts just didn't seem to be up to par. Basically, to get it to install properly, I had to leave everything completely loose (bolts and nuts started just enough to keep them together) until everything was on (except for the removable hitch), then start tightening them down. Even that had to be done in steps, tigtening them all to finger tight, then all to tool tight, then all fully bolted down.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When getting one, make sure it is for the 2012-2014 model. They are different from the 2001-2010 model. My Add On does not look anything like the one in post #5. I did not have to cut anyting on the bottom of the fender to get it to fit. You need to keep everyting loose when you put it on. Then when all the bolts are started you snug them up to spec. My Add On went on without any problems.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I preferred the Bushtec since I could remove the drop hitch when not pulling the trailer. Love my Bushtec hitch and trailer.
484737_10202328253991436_973353459_n.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just want 2 thank everyone for the
help made a big differance
I Beleave the buchtec is the one I'll go
with so I can remove it when not needed
thanx again ......
safe ridding

·
Registered
188 Posts
i put the rivco on mine. i like the fact that it comes out under the lic. plate instead of hanging down under the back. plus rivco has a cooler rack that installs on the hitch withou removing the hitch.

·
Registered
610 Posts
bush tech and rivco are the top 2 for a reason. You might want to get your trailer first and see what the level height would be to pull it level, that way you can order the right drop hitch for it. Ask me how I know. Rivco has a 3 inch and a 6 inch drop. I like it better because the hitch comes out of the reflector on the rear fender.
It's also the lightest of the hitches and, like the Bushtec, mounts to the bike frame, unlike most of the others.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Being that this topic is about hitches...i was curious what max tow weight limit for the Goldwing is. Thanks, Jetman.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Tow weight of the hitch is suppose to be 10 to 15 percent of your total weight that you put in the trailer. As far as what kind of weight can the 1800 pull is none according to Honda. My motorcycle trailer is rated at 600 lbs that the trailer can be loaded down with. I think if you do pull a trailer you need to keep the rpm's up in all gears where the power band is and stop trying to lug the motor in low rpm's to try and get the better mileage. It may keep you from having drive train problems down the road.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Tow weight of the hitch is suppose to be 10 to 15 percent of your total weight that you put in the trailer. As far as what kind of weight can the 1800 pull is none according to Honda. My motorcycle trailer is rated at 600 lbs that the trailer can be loaded down with. I think if you do pull a trailer you need to keep the rpm's up in all gears where the power band is and stop trying to lug the motor in low rpm's to try and get the better mileage. It may keep you from having drive train problems down the road.

What you are describing is tongue weight but you are not exactaly correct. Tongue weight is 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer and its contents. Tow weight is what the vehicle can handle. You'll not get a tow weight from Honda. Check out the link below that talks about tongue weight. And for the record, IMHO, a 600 lbs load plus the weight of the trailer is WAY too much for a Goldwing or any motorcycle to handle. Food for thought: Just because your vehicle can pull the trailer, it may not be able to stop the same trailer...
http://www.ehow.com/how_4814480_calculate-trailer-tongue-weight.html

To the OP: Bushtec hitch~Nothing more to say on that subject.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts