GL1800Riders Forums banner

trailer hitch

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  kro650 
#1 ·
I am looking for some input on Trailer hitches. I have been looking at the Bushtec and Dauntless. They look to both have many of the same features. The Dauntless looks as if it might be a little heavier built. Not trying to diss anyones product here, just looking for honest input. I hear allot about not attaching to subframe but it looks as these two both attach to the subframe. Anyway, if you have a hitch which one do you have and how has it been. Please join in if you know about attaching or not attaching to the subframe. I am looking for the best hitch, not necessarily the cheapest.

Thanks,

#2 ·
I looked at all choices and studied them carefully. In my opinion the Bushtec was the best choice because of how and where it attached to the frame and not the subframe. I'm very comfortable with it and feel it was the best choice. I've now pulled my trailer way over 10K miles with it.
I would buy another again. Well worth the cost. I'm just sure Bushtec did the best job possible with the design and fabrication. If it could have been made any better, they would have.

#6 ·
Re: trailer hithces

NewBlueWing said:
Have you guys looked at how the Dauntless mounts, doesnt it mount the same way as the bushtec.
They do not mount the same. Both pull from the main frame and thats where it ends. The Bushtec uses supports that go up to the main frame of the bike (where the silver main frame meets the black saddlebag subframe in front of the trunk). The Dauntless puts all the support requirements on the saddlebag subframe.

#7 ·
New Blue - if you are looking for the best one, it is the Bushtec. Best customer support, best designed, and has been well tested - that means rode hard and put away wet.

Now if you are looking for the cheapest, likely a Showchrome. The rest will fall inbetween, somewhere. There are even some knockoffs of the Bushtec, and some that you get to cut holes in the fender to install, others that tack onto the sub-frame. Most will work - for awhile, anyway. But I drag a camp trailer, and also mount a cooler when I don't have the trailer, and I wanted one to still be intact when I got home. So, mine's a Bushtec V-1.

#8 ·
I'm sure Bushtec is a good hitch. IMO though, the hype about the subframe is just that. How many sub-frame failures have you heard of? It's a non-issue.

I have a Dauntless. The way it mounts to the subframe makes the subframe more rigid.

Buy what pleases you.

#11 ·
Motorcycles were not ment to haul trailers. Lots of us do it. It's just a risk we chose to take. For me I liked the bustec. Well designed. Easy to install. Good tech support. Works fine. As for the frame question. This is my second wing with a trailer. I use my head on how much weight I put on the hitch and in the trailer total. I have lots of miles with the trailer and love having it along on trips. Never had a minutes trouble with either wing. My only complaint is the bike is not as much fun to ride with the trailer behind.

#12 ·
I have the dauntless! Easy install and yes there probably is more strain on the sub-frame. Do take notice of your tongue weight and there should'nt be a problem. It is a very solid mount, i pull a trailer on long trips and carry a ice chest on a carryall when not trailering. If i incur subframe damage, thats my bad!

#13 ·
If you pull just a cargo trailer, the Dauntless might be a worthy hitch without problems, but when, like I do, pull a camping trailer, such as the Bunkhouse, now you're subjecting the motorcycle to much more weight. I suspect that if one were to weigh out the camper, fully packed up, one would find that he is towing 500 pounds or more. I'd rather have that kind of weight being supported by the main frame, not a subframe. Now, a couple hundred pounds with a cargo trailer would probably not present the same probems, weightwise, to the motorcycle and more than likely the subframe mount would be just fine. IMHO

#14 ·
NewBlueWing said:
I am looking for some input on Trailer hitches. I have been looking at the Bushtec and Dauntless.
I bought the Bushtec back in spring '05. Went to Jacksboro to have it installed. Excellent service, nice shop, friendly people. I've towed the camper trailer about 30K miles with it and have been very happy.

#15 ·
I have the Rivco and believe it to be a very good hitch. It is not a subframe mount and is one of only three hitches that John A. Preston, (CEO of Bushtec Trailers), finds acceptable. (unless something has changed since Cats-Cade 06) Having said that, as others have said and I have learned repeatedly from this board, Bushtec customer service is second to none. Because of that, if I were buying again, I would purchase Bushtec.

#16 ·
I have a Rivco in the garage ready to install. The selling point for me was 2 fold. The Rivco is frame mounted, and you can use different receiver drop downs to keep the trailer level. The hitch only weighing 8 pounds isn't bad either.

#17 ·
I installed the Bushtec v.1 hitch two years ago and pull a Bushtec Turbo 2+ I bought used ('95 model). I've put 17k miles on the trailer in those two years (bike has 40k).

The lower AND upper frame mount, along with the subframe rack, make the hitch one of the strongest you'll find.

IF that's what you are looking for: strong and reliable, the Bushtec is hard to beat.

The hidden receiver makes for a visually pleasing install. That and EC's plug-'n-play isolation harness and you are set.

<< Bushtec v.1 hitch (April '05)

<< Mt. Magazine, AK overlook (May '05)

<< My Collection (circa June '05)

<< Buena Vista, CO (July '06)

#18 ·
Lewis/EC said:
I know of 2 subframes that have had to be replaced. Just because they are not posted on the internet does not mean it has not happened. And yes...both were subframe mount hitches.
If subframe failures were at all common, we would surely see them posted here. 2 failures out of how many Goldwings that tow trailers? The circumstances under which these failures occured would also be interesting to know.

Like I mentioned, your dad's hitches are probably good hitches. However, IMO, with all the GL1800's that tow trailers, most of which probably have subframe mounted hitches, it's a non-issue.

I would highly recommend the Bushtec hitches for those who are going to mount racks like the Pack-it rack or golf club carriers. These devices put an abnormal amount of force in the "Y" axis.

#19 ·
I'm sceptical about these sub-frame failures.

I have a Dauntless and pull my Kwik Kamp with it. I have had absolutely no problems with the Dauntless or the subframe.

I haven't seen a Bushtec hitch and I'm sure it's a fine hitch but from my perspective the build quality, robustness, installation kit, and fit of the Dauntless is second to none. It was recommended to me by a man who previously owned a motorcycle shop who thought it was the best hitch for the dollar. He had installed several different types of hitches for his customers including Buchtec.

#20 ·
I would highly recommend the Bushtec hitches for those who are going to mount racks like the Pack-it rack or golf club carriers. These devices put an abnormal amount of force in the "Y" axis.
And I would highly recommend the Bushtec hitch for anyone that is pulling anything, as any load will put an abnormal amount of stress on it.

If there is no stress, just bolt it to the license plate frame.

#21 ·
I have a Bushtec and highly recommend it. Pulls and Hangs the weight from the main frame of the bike. Not too tough to install and very well made. I did the same research as you and looked at a couple bikes that had hitches. Fortunately I live in Knoxville where the Honda Hoot is held so I could see several before I purchased.

#23 ·
I have a Bushtec receiver/harness which I enjoy and can't speak for or against any other hitch brands.

God bless.

#24 ·
I have and like the Bushtec. No problems. Dont know about the others but its sure no problem when you pull the rear wheel. Also I just wanted to see how the little picture looks I just put under my name.

G
#26 ·
Maybe he's skeptical just because.

In any event folks need to realize (the regulars and clique princes (those with thousands upon thousands of posts) are keenly aware of this) when you bring up items pertaining to trailers, hitches and electrical connections of same here we are discussing those items on a site cosponsored by Bushtec and populated by members heavily favoring (and rightly so) Bushtec (it's a good product). Consequently you will get an overwhelmingly favorably "vote" for Bustec on this specific site; much more so here than on any other site or group of riders elsewhere. And there is nothing wrong with that; it's just a fact. And it is just a fact that there are a lot of "Bushies" on this board and they are very, very loyal. And, as I have said, rightfully so because Bushtec makes good products and backs them up with good customer support.

And when any trailer or hitch question needs clairification John Preston (Bushtec owner) does a good job stepping in and giving board members his point of view. In terms of trailer (and other) electrical issues, his son, who runs Electrical Connection, gives us good opinions reguarding electrical matters. Thanks guys.

Having said that, I have, and really like the Rivco hitch. It is strong and very well made, attaches only to the main frame, the isolator that comes with the hitch at no extra charge works perfectly and installs effortlessly, the height is adjustable using a 3" or 6" drop, it’s very light weight, and the nice folks at Dixon Y Machine (who manufacture Pakit Rak [which I already had and was using] ) sold me an adapter that fit perfectly into the Rivco.

Below are a couple of pics.

Rivco Hitch connectet to our Aluma trailer

Rivco Hitch with Pakit Rak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.